Manix 2 XL Love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slvr01Stang

Manix 2 XL Love?

Post by Slvr01Stang »

We need some sprint/exclusive runs of the Manix 2 XL. Maybe in some M390, or even better.. K390. Who wants to see this happen?... The Manix 2 XL is such a great platform.
Ez556

Re: Manix 2 XL Love?

Post by Ez556 »

I've said in more than a few threads that I'd LOVE to see a DLC 4V sprint run of the Manix 2 XL with either ranger/OD green or brown/coyote scales. Theres even a thread thats a few months old with a pole about what steel people would like to see in a Manix 2 XL sprint and 4V/V4E eeked out a win there, with Cruwear right behind it. K390 would be okay too, as long as its DLC coated. Same ranger green scales though. The Manix 2 XL is such a beast of a folder and it deserves a tough steel to match!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cruwear Micarta anyone??? :D

In all seriousness, that would be my #1 choice for a sprint/exclusive of the Manix XL. It is a fantastic combo!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

This thread needs pix.

Pancake

Post by Pancake »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 pm
This thread needs pix.
Looking at that Manix XL......this could be my next big folder....
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As always let me say: An frn lightweight version would make me buy my first "XL" for sure.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

It's a really great knife. It fills the hand and has the cutting power you want from a big folder. That said, it rides clipped in the pocket as unobtrusive any other folder.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 pm
As always let me say: An frn lightweight version would make me buy my first "XL" for sure.
FRN just seems wrong for a knife that's meant to be oversized and bad#ss.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:42 pm
FRN just seems wrong for a knife that's meant to be oversized and bad#ss.
For your taste it may be, and that´s totally fine of course.
For me FRN feels and has proven to be stronger than G10... really, imho FRN is the "hard use" handle material from a practical point of view, more so than G10.
But, again: To each their own! :)

And tbh: I´d want a Manix XL in a (linerless FRN) lw version (just like the Manix 2 LW) cause I just tend to not carry heavier folders in the end, even if I like them a lot in use.
And I just KNOW that I´d love the XL concerning lock, ergos, edge length, for sure even that "pinky hook" some seemingly don´t like... (had a Manix 2 lw, loved the ergos,general blade shape and the lock, but not the for me too short actual cutting edge you get absoluetly, but even more so relatively to the rather "bulky" closed package in the pocket).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jdw

Post by jdw »

I think that it is proven that FRN is as tough as knife scale material gets but it still just seems wrong and counter-intuitive to me for a knife this size. That doesn't mean that a LW version wouldn't make a great knife. I would probably buy one. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd love an FRN version too. Big knives don't have to be heavy. The old linerless Voyagers were awesome! 5" blades in a 5oz package, and they were bigger than the Manix too. I'd like to see a ~4oz Manix XL LW, and if a man can really dream make mine a Salt!

I'm also interested in a sprint of the G10 version. While I'm happy with my DLC S30V model, I'd like to see it done up in a DLC carbon steel. In my experience the DLC S30V is nearly impervious to corrosion.
So a DLC carbon blade with the coated liners would let me carry it more often than a Police 4.

I'd like OD green scales with blacked out hardware / liners / clip / blade, K390, PE, SE & CE variants.
:unicorn
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

It’ll take me a few years but as soon as I have the capital to do it I’m going to try to get a k390 Manix XL with translucent ice blue g10 scales commissioned as an exclusive. This is the knife I want to see more variety on over any other knife. Hopefully someone will beat me to the punch and commission a K390, M4, 4V, A11, etc. exclusive in the mean time. Or all the steels rather than just one :p .
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A salt frn version would get my attention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Just a a thought. Why not make it in FRN and keep the liners? Maybe just a partial liners, around pivot and so on, and maybe bit through the handle.
This could save some weight. Or just sceletonized the heck out of the liners.

Btw, I think I may but this XL at some point in the future.
EDIT: please no exclusive of this knife, I want to buy it here in Europe too.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:45 am
I wonder how a ball-bearing lock would work in a Salt. Would there be a way to make the coiled spring and ball virtually rustproof? I don't actually own any knives with the BBL, so I'm also wondering how long does the locking spring maintain its full tension, and how durable the "cage" surrounding it is...or maybe I'm wondering about a non-existent problem. :)

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I wonder how a ball-bearing lock would work in a Salt. Would there be a way to make the coiled spring virtually rustproof?
This question was asked (but not answered) in a quite recent thread by someone (maybe even by you?) and it is a good one. Would be interested in an answer to it too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I wonder how a ball-bearing lock would work in a Salt. Would there be a way to make the coiled spring and ball virtually rustproof? I don't actually own any knives with the BBL, so I'm also wondering how long does the locking spring maintain its full tension, and how durable the "cage" surrounding it is...or maybe I'm wondering about a non-existent problem. :)

Jim
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=859

Seems to say incredibly rust resistant rather than rust proof. For that model at least. Who knows what's possible?
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Warstein:

I had never asked the question before, but maybe Sal will spot it and answer at some point as to whether it can be done.

Vivi:

I’m thinking if they did make a Salt version, that Spyderco would use the same proprietary treatment they use on the screws and other non-blade, non-H1/LC200N steel hardware on the Salts. In which case, we will probably never know the ‘how’ of it. I remember on the Spyderco forum on BF mentioning or asking about the treatment the screws get on the Salts, and Sal responding that it was a trade secret, which is perfectly understandable.

I’m wondering if the steel ball could be changed to a ceramic one, in the same way that the ball detent on the Caribbean was changed to a ceramic detent. Although a ceramic ball the size of one in a BBL might raise the cost a good deal(?). It would be interesting if a coil spring would be treatable.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Jim
Ask Ruger. Coil Springs hold up better than leaf springs. As for being rust resistant enough for a salt knife, I do not know. A backlock could be done, however. I would be happy with that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Love the manix XL.

PLEASE keep liners though (but take it easy on the jimping) and round off the edges of the handle (Shaman handle treatment). You would see a complete rejuvenation of this model.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?