Need help identifying markings on new Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vern60

Need help identifying markings on new Delica 4

Post by Vern60 »

I just received my brand new purple Delica 4 which I ordered from Amazon. This is my very first Spyderco and I'm liking it a lot so far. However, it has a strange marking on the blade that I haven't seen in any online photos or catalogs. I've now been reading about a lot of counterfeits and hoping this isn't the case, everything else appears normal.
Attachments
IMG_1963.JPG
TazKristi

Re: Need help identifying markings on new Delica 4

Post by TazKristi »

Vern60 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:29 pm
I just received my brand new purple Delica 4 which I ordered from Amazon. This is my very first Spyderco and I'm liking it a lot so far. However, it has a strange marking on the blade that I haven't seen in any online photos or catalogs. I've now been reading about a lot of counterfeits and hoping this isn't the case, everything else appears normal.
Hi, Vern60:
Welcome to our forum. The marking that you see is Sal's Maker's Mark. I didn't think they were out on the Delica yet, but after a bit of research, I've found that they are. It's likely that your knife is authentic. If you would like an absolute judgment I would suggest that you send you knife into our Warranty & Repair department for evaluation.

I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi

*EDITED - New Information*
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Is it possible that the addition of Sals makers mark now being on the Delica is a result of CQI?

I only ask because the recent CruWear Delica also has Sals makers mark on it.
-Nick :bug-red
Vern60

Post by Vern60 »

Hi Krisit,

Thanks so much for the help. Here is the link from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1
It was sold or shipped by Hardware Sales Inc.
So you would advise me to return it? I would certainly prefer a real one. Unbelievable the amount of fraud you guys have to deal with!
Thanks for your help,
Von Reiniger
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Vern60 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:02 am
Hi Krisit,

Thanks so much for the help. Here is the link from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1
It was sold or shipped by Hardware Sales Inc.
So you would advise me to return it? I would certainly prefer a real one. Unbelievable the amount of fraud you guys have to deal with!
Thanks for your help,
Von Reiniger
Hi Von,
Please see my edited post. I wasn't aware that we had started including Sal's mark on the Delica. And now seeing which listing you purchased from, I'm even more confident that yours is in fact, authentic. Enjoy your new Delica!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Vern60

Post by Vern60 »

Thank you so much! You just made my day and I'm extremely happy that it is authentic as I really love it!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cool! I’m happy that Sal’s mark is now on my overall favorite Spyderco. Hey, even Hickock45 and Nick Shabazz love this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Hey Kristi, can I send in my Super Gold Delica and V-Toku2 Endura so that Sal's mark can be etched? ;)

j/k. I guess that now all of Sal's designs will carry his mark? I think there were more models where this wasn't yet the case. I do admit that I'd wish my D4 & E4 and my N5 would carry it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Vern60

Post by Vern60 »

Well now I'm even happier to find that not only is my new Delica 4 authentic but it has a sought after Sal's mark!
Thinking I should sell it now for a nice profit.
No no, just kidding! I'm keeping it for a long time, at least until I forget about it in my pocket as I head to the airport,(I've lost a few that way :)
I really do like this knife, A LOT.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Vern,

Welcome to our forum. Glad you like the piece.

I decided a few months ago to add my "tag" to all of the designs that I created. It just takes a while for them to come out.

sal
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:47 am
Hi Vern,

I decided a few months ago to add my "tag" to all of the designs that I created. It just takes a while for them to come out.

sal
Thats a good decision, I'm happy to see it! It makes it special to see a designers "signature" on something you purchase.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Hi Vern,

sal
Great move/decision! Did you design the Endela? I am going to buy one but i'd rather wait until the "Sal edition" hits the streets :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Hi Vern,

sal
It was about time! ;)
I´d like my Endura, Endela, and Delica to have the "tag". Also my Stretch 1 in VG10 (it happens to be one of the examples without the "tag", while my HAP 40 and my backup VG 10 Stretch do have it)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Vern60

Post by Vern60 »

Hi Sal,

Thanks so much for the reply. I agree with Ez556 that it's awesome to have your signature on it. I feel really lucky to have it. Imagine my surprise when at first I was suspicious that it might be a counterfeit only to find out it's one of the early ones to have your signature. It looks great by the way, both the tag and the knife. I really love the piece and don't tell anyone who works at Spyderco but knowing what I do now, I would have paid more for it! hehe
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Vern,

I've always said that "man who beat on own chest knock self over backwards". But ultimately decided That knowing the designer of a product is something a customer might like to know.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I very much love this addition to an already great line up. I've always wondered why they were on some models and not others
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Oh, the purple delica! I have always wanted one of these, but somehow never got around to buying one. Looks like there's even more reason now - I do love Sal's mark on the cruwear delica.

Great choice, Vern60, the Delica is one of my favorite spydercos.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Vern60

Post by Vern60 »

Thanks JuPaul
I was originally looking at the orange but wanted something a little less conspicuous in my pocket so I went with the purple and I love it. Without doubt, it's my all time favorite knife. Having Sal's maker's mark on it is just icing on the cake.
What is truly surprising to me, a 60 yr old with probably 20 - 25 pocket knives is how Spyderco's escaped me all these years, how could that have happened? Maybe living very close to Tualatin OR had something to do with it, I dunno, but I'm certainly happy I finally discovered them!
Luckylouie

Post by Luckylouie »

Hi all,
Long time lurker here, but I’ve recently been bit by the spyder. It all started with the p4 k390. And it’s getting out of control lol. Well in a time frame perspective at least. Don’t get me wrong I love every spyderco knife I own, and this really is the best forum out here! So thanks to sal and the spyderco team for making this possible, and to all of you for the wealth of knowledge you put up here.

(Sorry I couldn’t figure out how to make a new post but this is a very similar topic, I did find in the help section that I should be looking to create a “new topic” but I couldn’t find it. So feel free to move or delete if necessary)

I recently picked up 2 spyderco shamans off the bay, and upon inspection I noticed a few differences.

1.) in the blade near the pivot and decent
2.) The steel liners near the butt end.

I was wondering if you all could help me confirm if one of these shamans is fake? Please see attached photos. Thank you for your time. (Ps. I already emailed customer support but they asked for me to mail the knives in. I just wanted to try here first)
In collection: p4 k390, pm2 k390, military 52100, military 204p, shaman cruwear, shaman s30v, Caribbean pe,
Favorites: p4 k390, shaman cruwear
Luckylouie

Post by Luckylouie »

Oops fat fingers accidentally pushed submit, here the pics
Attachments
BC6A4B91-D926-451D-9AE8-CC70DCE317A8.jpeg
BC6A4B91-D926-451D-9AE8-CC70DCE317A8.jpeg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
9BD19DB2-D974-4898-AA0E-92B8CE174EF5.jpeg
9BD19DB2-D974-4898-AA0E-92B8CE174EF5.jpeg (39.34 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
3F3B8012-97B0-4B2E-8F88-72BE2E67C5A1.jpeg
3F3B8012-97B0-4B2E-8F88-72BE2E67C5A1.jpeg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
In collection: p4 k390, pm2 k390, military 52100, military 204p, shaman cruwear, shaman s30v, Caribbean pe,
Favorites: p4 k390, shaman cruwear