What's good about S30V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you think is good about S30V

I think S30V is just fine no need for other steels.
5%
I love the way S30V sharpens.
11%
I find S30V easy to sharpen to a high degree of sharpness.
16%
I find S30V holds a truly sharp edge for a long time.
3%
I find S30V holds a working edge longer than a truly sharp edge.
15%
I find S30V to be as corrosion resistant as I need it to be.
23%
I love S30V in a fixed blade due to its toughness.
2%
I do not like S30V I will not use it Sam-I-am I'd rather eat green eggs and ham!
2%
I wish Spyderco would us a different steel as its base steel
13%
I Still can't figure out why Spyderco continues to use S30V instead of S35VN
11%

Total votes: 120

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: What's good about S30V

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Lol no I did not that stuff on a dull Military SE could never take the place of S30V, I even sent it into Spyderco and they could not get it as sharp as the serrations in S30V.

Concerning plain edge I have no experience of that steel but would not mind buying one.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm
Everything about s30v is good. The only flaw with it is that m390 class steels are better in every way without being too much more expensive. I’d take 20cv over s30v every time.
This is true, although I'd have to double check the toughness stats. However, production companies have a tendency to underharden their m390 variants, and it may be because m390 just isn't a good fit for large scale heat treating techniques.

If anyone can figure out how to consistently heat treat m390 to it's proper hardness, it's Spyderco, but if it just can't be done consistently, then sticking with s30v may be a better choice.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

S30V is good to go. I have 3 or 6 in that. I don't use those mechanized type sharpeners. I have water stones, oil stones and leather hones to do what I need to do.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

What would be the major malfunction if Spyderco switched from S30V to M390 for all of their S30V models? Would the knife cost $10 more? $20 more?

EDIT:
I'll buy a Street Beat in Nitro-V, AEB-L or NioMax at 63HRC.
Last edited by Naperville on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Baron Mind wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 pm
Mattysc42 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:40 pm
Everything about s30v is good. The only flaw with it is that m390 class steels are better in every way without being too much more expensive. I’d take 20cv over s30v every time.
This is true, although I'd have to double check the toughness stats. However, production companies have a tendency to underharden their m390 variants, and it may be because m390 just isn't a good fit for large scale heat treating techniques.

If anyone can figure out how to consistently heat treat m390 to it's proper hardness, it's Spyderco, but if it just can't be done consistently, then sticking with s30v may be a better choice.
Taken from knifesteelnerds.com.

BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

ferider wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm
You forgot one bullet: Spyderco should never have switched from S60V to S30V :)
I dont want to derail the thread, but what was good about S60V? I have no personal experience with this steel, but what I read was it had to have quite low HRC to avoid chipping in knives.
But I would like to see a test between S60V at 56HRC and S30V at 60 HRC.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:18 pm
What would be the major malfunction if Spyderco switched from S30V to M390 for all of their S30V models? Would the knife cost $10 more? $20 more?

I'll buy a Street Beat in S30V. I don't buy that many folders and when I do, I look for something unique.
Seems like from all the controversy stirred up on YouTube/bladeforums etc this issue with switching to m390 would be consistent heat treating at large volumes that actually hit the hardness mark that m390 and the like actually shine in. One of the results that was interesting from the "testing" lately, especially that CATRA testing that Part in wrote an analysis of, is that the production m390 that wasn't at the optimum hardness really didn't perform massively better than Spyderco's S30v. In my opinion, the difference most likely wouldn't have been noticed but some will argue that.
I'm sure it would increase the cost, too. Not sure on pricing differences but it would seem it would cost more. No idea. Also, who knows how much S30v Spyderco has stocked up too, likely saving customers cost from steel price fluctuations. But maybe not, we might be paying more to cover possible price fluctuations.

Lemme throw it out again to everyone, instead of looking at m390 as a miracle steel, I do recommend we start looking at CPM 154. It is a very good steel. Not a miracle steel, but that won't happen on a production knife. I think CPM 154 is just a slightly better all around steel than S30v" especially on the BOS heat treat blade I had. No idea on availability, pricing, or if the heat treat protocols are doable for a big company like Spyderco. A lot of custom makers use it as does Hogue.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd be interested in seeing a CPM154 folder from Spyderco. I've tried it from Buck and it performed well for me too.
:unicorn
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I had to select the Sam I Am and green eggs and ham, just because it was funny. Thank you.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

AS I stated in the VG-10/S30V thread I started>> I prefer the VG-10 over S30V and even go as far as to avoid certain models that have S30V. However there is an exception>> I do sort of like S30V for Serrated/Spyderedges. Now I like it's predecessor 440V (S60V) better in SE but if there was a serrated model I liked I wouldn't hesitate to buy it in S30V. I've just never had as good of results with S30V as many of you have claimed to have in plain edged units.

For some strange reason I keep my Dodo models I have which has S30V and they are plain edged. And that blade shape/design seems to do OK with it. But if they do a Sprint Run of the Dodo I wish they would use M-4 instead next time. Now if they want to make the Dodo again in SE then I wouldn't mind if they used S30V. And there are other blade steels I like in SE whereas I don't like the way they perform in PE.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Naperville wrote:

I'll buy a Street Beat in S30V. I don't buy that many folders and when I do, I look for something unique.
I am thinking M390 would be more expensive coming from Europe but we have 20CV it’s near twin here in the United States so perhaps it is less expensive to source? I don’t know, just guessing.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:25 am
Naperville wrote:

Seems like from all the controversy stirred up on YouTube/bladeforums etc this issue with switching to m390 would be consistent heat treating at large volumes that actually hit the hardness mark that m390 and the like actually shine in. One of the results that was interesting from the "testing" lately, especially that CATRA testing that Part in wrote an analysis of, is that the production m390 that wasn't at the optimum hardness really didn't perform massively better than Spyderco's S30v. In my opinion, the difference most likely wouldn't have been noticed but some will argue that.
I'm sure it would increase the cost, too. Not sure on pricing differences but it would seem it would cost more. No idea. Also, who knows how much S30v Spyderco has stocked up too, likely saving customers cost from steel price fluctuations. But maybe not, we might be paying more to cover possible price fluctuations.

Lemme throw it out again to everyone, instead of looking at m390 as a miracle steel, I do recommend we start looking at CPM 154. It is a very good steel. Not a miracle steel, but that won't happen on a production knife. I think CPM 154 is just a slightly better all around steel than S30v" especially on the BOS heat treat blade I had. No idea on availability, pricing, or if the heat treat protocols are doable for a big company like Spyderco. A lot of custom makers use it as does Hogue.
I would not mind trying some CPM 154 what has Spyderco produced using this steel?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:44 am
I had to select the Sam I Am and green eggs and ham, just because it was funny. Thank you.
Good for you! I thought it was funny too, people tend to get too serious about knives and steel.

Lol what would it be like were we all in a Viking hall with mead flowing good food and Spyderco conversations.

Poor Taz would be clubbing all of us to behave better. Ah a fella can dream can’t he :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:10 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I would not mind trying some CPM 154 what has Spyderco produced using this steel?
The Darn Dao is CPM154! It was also used as cladding on a laminated CPM154/S90v Manix 2 sprint run a couple years ago.

Also, I gifted my father a Serrated Manix 2 in CPM154 154CM a while back. I'm not sure when it was phased out, but it was used in the Manix 2 at some point.
Last edited by Mushroom on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
ferider

Post by ferider »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm
ferider wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:42 pm
You forgot one bullet: Spyderco should never have switched from S60V to S30V :)
I dont want to derail the thread, but what was good about S60V? I have no personal experience with this steel, but what I read was it had to have quite low HRC to avoid chipping in knives.
But I would like to see a test between S60V at 56HRC and S30V at 60 HRC.
Have a look here, for instance: viewtopic.php?t=80022&start=20, BBB gets 60-61 HRC.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Naperville wrote:

The Darn Dao is CPM154! It was also used as cladding on a laminated CPM154/S90v Manix 2 sprint run a couple years ago.

Also, I gifted my father a Serrated Manix 2 in CPM154 a while back. I'm not sure when it was phased out, but it was used in the Manix 2 at some point.
I believe those were 154CM.
David R

Post by David R »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Naperville wrote:

M390 not only doesn't perform as well, it can be worse, imo. Too often the edge rolls as it gets dull. When that happens it stops cutting. I've never had a rolled edge with S30. So when it dulls it will still cut. Unless I can have M390/20CV hard enough to not roll I'm not interested in carrying it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:07 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:26 am
knivesandbooks wrote:

Also, I gifted my father a Serrated Manix 2 in CPM154 a while back. I'm not sure when it was phased out, but it was used in the Manix 2 at some point.
I believe those were 154CM.
Yeah, you're right! Just checked the Spydiewiki and the Manix 2 was 154CM not CPM154.
-Nick :bug-red
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

OK, toughness is a good thing to have, but you have to know what the knife is going to be used for when you design or buy it. We are grown ups here so lets talk about my intended knife use.

I have USCCA Elite insurance and my planned use is for self defense. I'm not sure they are going to have a problem cutting clothing(jeans, shirt, jacket) or tissue(a tendon or muscle) no matter what they are made out of. Maybe if the blade hits a zipper I'm done for, but other than that I'm looking for a non-failing use of steel against another human. Take it or leave it that is what I carry a folder or fixed blade for. Self Defense.

It looks to me like I'd be better off having a knife(Street Beat) made out of AEB-L, NioMax or Nitro-V at 63HRC.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:44 am
OK, toughness is a good thing to have, but you have to know what the knife is going to be used for when you design or buy it. We are grown ups here so lets talk about my intended knife use.

I have USCCA Elite insurance and my planned use is for self defense. I'm not sure they are going to have a problem cutting clothing(jeans, shirt, jacket) or tissue(a tendon or muscle) no matter what they are made out of. Maybe if the blade hits a zipper I'm done for, but other than that I'm looking for a non-failing use of steel against another human. Take it or leave it that is what I carry a folder or fixed blade for. Self Defense.

It looks to me like I'd be better off having a knife(Street Beat) made out of AEB-L, NioMax or Nitro-V at 63HRC.
You could get a custom made out of S7 :D It's a steel that trades away edge holding to maximize toughness. Used for jackhammer bits and my 9" chopper.