Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by Ez556 »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 am
Alright, real talk time: who here is planning on using this knife as an honest to God user? I REALLY want one of these as a work knife, but between all the collectors and flippers out there, I feel like I'm a tiny minority.
I will! My collection isn’t that huge, so it’ll see a lot of real use. That is dependent on whether or not one is actually going to be headed to my door or not haha.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm
I see it as proof that folks have had it with the flippers. :eek: I know it will be tough, but if people could resist the urge to pay these exorbitant prices, the flippers would wither away and die off. A few extra bucks for shipping, etc. is one thing, but an extra $100 is just pure bull. :rolleyes: :mad:
As long as ebay exists flipping will never end..the amount of people on this forum isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of foot traffic ebay gets..and I'm confident ebay will most likely be around way past when we are all gone..

Preaching might make you feel better but its going to have zero effect on flipping.

There are only 2 sure fire ways to end flipping:

1. No more sprints.

2. Saturate the market..make a lot more knives per sprint run..which has its own risks.
You are right on and I agree completely. My misdirected frustration is with Spyderco for not producing enough product when the truth is that if it wasn't for flippers it would probably be relatively easy to pick one up.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:39 am
Alright, real talk time: who here is planning on using this knife as an honest to God user? I REALLY want one of these as a work knife, but between all the collectors and flippers out there, I feel like I'm a tiny minority.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Hogue Ritter in M390, but I hate the disassembly part of it whenever it gets really dirty, plus I'm a bit fearful (maybe wrongfully) that one of those springs might give up on me someday. I've been going back and forth between getting the Shaman or the Cold Steel AD-10, but my morbid curiosity to experience Cru-Wear, the brain dead easiness of disassembly and the fact that I've never held micarta in my hands makes this sprint the fabled white whale that I've been always looking for.

Also, I am going slightly insane by the fact that I have what I now call the Cru-Wear curse, meaning that something always gets in my way when I try to buy a Spyderco model in that steel variant, which started when the Para 3 got released. Be it small production numbers, lack of money or just plain bad luck, I simply can't seem to get any Cru-Wear in my life.

And before you recommend the basic S30V model, I'm not a huge fan of it from my experiences with that steel, and if I'm going to spend that silly (for me) amount of money on a knife, might as well try getting what I'm really chasing after instead of settling for something else.

In short, Sal, please keep that Cru-Wear coming, if only for the sake of my sanity. Micarta, G10, it's all good, as long as it's grippy (maybe not FRN though, I prefer something heavier for work), I just want this ridiculous curse broken already. Knife looks pretty nice by the way, so congratulations on that! :D
I have a few knives that I just like the design but mainly if I buy a knife I buy it to use.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I only want one to use. This knife ticks all the boxes for me, Sal's design, micarta scales, excellent steel with properties I like. Someone said I should buy a custom to get exactly what I want, well this is exactly what I want. The frustration comes from not being easily able to just order it. It's all luck of the draw and in all luck of the draw contests the majority lose.
As to flippers, it is pretty easy to tell who the flippers are and who is just moving along their one knife to someone else. I have purchased from the latter and avoid the former, even for knives I have really wanted. Besides, the more rare the knife, the less likely I will use it or even own it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I'll be getting mine tomorrow. Been waiting for this one for a while. It's my first knife buy of the year!
Been buying all the Para 3 sprint in the past years for the different steel options, but those have dried up and there we no other models that i wanted or needed. I have way too many knives already. But i always wanted to try the Shaman but i don't want plain jane S30V. Since i only want one Shaman i skipped all the other sprints for this version. Though a REX45 or K390 sprint would be really tempting.

The flippers is mostly an american problem i feel. Whenever there is a Spyderco sprint run (not dealer exclusives) i always manage to get one from a dealer. But here in Europe i have to pay ~ €250 / $276 for the Cru-Wear Shaman. I could have bought several of them from the dealers but there is no business case for flipping these at the higher retail prices we got here due to VAT and higher price in general compared to the american market.
But i did notice that this model sold out pretty fast over here too. Not in minutes/hours but dealers sold out within a day or two i think. The REX45 sprint i could buy for weeks over here. The S90V Shaman sprint is still available in some places.

It does suck for people that have been active in the forum community to miss out on a sprint they wanted. The forum topic that had people push for this sprint had nowhere near 1200 participants (or whatever this sprint run size is). I feel that for Spyderco official sprints they should offer the forum members a way to pre-order straight from Spyderco. They already sell knives through their own website anyway. It would be a nice service to it's active community and circumvent the flippers. Would also be a great way for Spyderco to check the popularity of a Sprint so they can maybe adjust the sprint run numbers accordingly? win-win for both. But they should offer MAP prices then.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:15 am
But here in Europe i have to pay ~ €250 / $276 for the Cru-Wear Shaman.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? As a fellow European, I fully understand the pain of paying more for Spyderco knives compared to most people. Please leave some store recommendations for me to keep an eye out!
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 am
Rutger wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? As a fellow European, I fully understand the pain of paying more for Spyderco knives compared to most people. Please leave some store recommendations for me to keep an eye out!
I bought it from from Knives and Tools, a Dutch online retailer. They had ~5 in stock yesterday when i bought mine, sold out when i checked today. Says 3 days now. Maybe they will get more, i don't know.

Best EU stores to keep an eye on for Spyderco sprints in my experience are these:
https://www.lamnia.com (Scandinavian, free shipping above €120)
https://www.knivesandtools.com (they have french/german/uk site too and free shipping above €50 for most EU i think)
https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com (French, shipping is around €10 for EU if not in France) - They already sold out and item removed from store. It was like €267 there or so, not the cheapest. On some models they are also cheaper, it depends. You can still get the base S30V Shaman or Chaparral FRN there for the lower price before Spyderco increased it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really do wish this thread was about the release of this knife and not what it has turned into. You guys can start your own flipper debate thread in off topic and talk each other in circles and I promise I won't get in the way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Rutger wrote:
I feel that for Spyderco official sprints they should offer the forum members a way to pre-order straight from Spyderco. They already sell knives through their own website anyway. It would be a nice service to it's active community and circumvent the flippers. Would also be a great way for Spyderco to check the popularity of a Sprint so they can maybe adjust the sprint run numbers accordingly? win-win for both. But they should offer MAP prices then.
It would have to be a hush-hush sort of affair or you could create an issue of "robbing" their dealer network of some quick capital from a hot item.

I doubt it would happen for many complicated reasons regarding business management, of which, most are above what I get paid to think any harder about. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am
Rutger wrote:
I feel that for Spyderco official sprints they should offer the forum members a way to pre-order straight from Spyderco. They already sell knives through their own website anyway. It would be a nice service to it's active community and circumvent the flippers. Would also be a great way for Spyderco to check the popularity of a Sprint so they can maybe adjust the sprint run numbers accordingly? win-win for both. But they should offer MAP prices then.
It would have to be a hush-hush sort of affair or you could create an issue of "robbing" their dealer network of some quick capital from a hot item.

I doubt it would happen for many complicated reasons regarding business management, of which, most are above what I get paid to think any harder about. :p
I understand there are concerns regarding the dealer network etc, but they can do it with the forum knife too? And they somehow manage to do it with the Spyderco's Collectors Club members (the numbered knives) who also get sprint run knives. But the true active forum community is small enough for it to really matter in my humble opinion. I guess it would require some control to stop not active forum member/flippers to join in though.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 am
Rutger wrote:

Not to mention that everyone would just join the forum in that case, including the flippers. What would stop them?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:17 am
I really do wish this thread was about the release of this knife and not what it has turned into. You guys can start your own flipper debate thread in off topic and talk each other in circles and I promise I won't get in the way.
A. Men. Brutha! :)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
What David said!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
jdw

Post by jdw »

I am heading to an early afternoon at Lazy Circles Brewing in my hometown. I agree with 'D' though and others. I am part of the gibberish and I stopped watching this thread.
--Wovoka
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:08 am
Mzen wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 am
Rutger wrote:
I bought it from from Knives and Tools, a Dutch online retailer. They had ~5 in stock yesterday when i bought mine, sold out when i checked today. Says 3 days now. Maybe they will get more, i don't know.

Best EU stores to keep an eye on for Spyderco sprints in my experience are these:
https://www.lamnia.com (Scandinavian, free shipping above €120)
https://www.knivesandtools.com (they have french/german/uk site too and free shipping above €50 for most EU i think)
https://www.coutellerie-tourangelle.com (French, shipping is around €10 for EU if not in France) - They already sold out and item removed from store. It was like €267 there or so, not the cheapest. On some models they are also cheaper, it depends. You can still get the base S30V Shaman or Chaparral FRN there for the lower price before Spyderco increased it.
Thank you for sharing. I happen to know all of those websites, but I've always wondered about Coutellerie Tourangelle, since I've never bought anything from them before. You American folks have no idea how good you have it haha, we have to deal with higher prices and sometimes paying extra to get the stuff through customs.

Hey Sal, Spyderco Europe when? :p And yes, I know it isn't economically feasible to open a branch in Europe, but a man can dream, right?
Hatchet 7419

Post by Hatchet 7419 »

Ordered yesterday shipped today
rivy

Post by rivy »

This thread sure took a turn... anyone know of anywhere posting them available for sale yet?
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

There’s a place selling at $320
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Rpp wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm
There’s a place selling at $320
Oh wow. What a joke! :rolleyes:

DLT just had the "Add to Cart" button active, but I couldn't complete check-out in time. :mad:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Evil D wrote:
I am sorry i got carried away and (along with others) ruined the thread. I was just going to suggest what you actually did - start a new thread and tar and feather anyone not sticking to the súbject :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.