Kapara CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neuronic

Kapara CQI

Post by neuronic »

So the Kapara even got better:

https://youtu.be/xECQ1_ySisM

This raises questions:

- which serials will have the upgraded version?
- can we hope for pivot bushings on other knives, too?
- when we gonna see the overdue LC200 Kapara?

:rolleyes:
aaronkb

Re: Kapara CQI

Post by aaronkb »

I decided I finally want one and messaged DLT on Instagram to ask how to make sure it’s the updated version... they told me they don’t have any of the pre-CQI Kapara in stock so it’s a guarantee. Maybe that’s the same for other retailers, dunno, but DLT is definitely a safe source for it.
Last edited by aaronkb on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 pm
I decided I finally want one and messaged DLT on Instagram to ask how to make sure it’s the updated version... they told me they don’t have any of they’re-CQI Kapara in stock so it’s a guarantee. Maybe that’s the same for other retailers, dunno, but DLT is definitely a safe source for it.
The Kapara sold out quickly globally so I'd say the chances of getting a pre- CQI one new from a dealer is somewhere between extremely unlikely to non existing.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

My first run Kapara was exceptional - no observed issues whatsoever just had to adjust for the sharpened edge length difference between that and my PM2 for closing without giving myself small cuts on my index finger lol...

What were the issues requiring change?
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Typo/autocorrect changed the meaning of my comment - was trying to say they don’t have any of the PRE-CQI in stock... just in case I confused anyone. Don’t wanna spread misinformation.

Good to know that’s probably the case everywhere!
rivy

Post by rivy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 pm
aaronkb wrote:
I decided I finally want one and messaged DLT on Instagram to ask how to make sure it’s the updated version... they told me they don’t have any of they’re-CQI Kapara in stock so it’s a guarantee. Maybe that’s the same for other retailers, dunno, but DLT is definitely a safe source for it.
The Kapara sold out quickly globally so I'd say the chances of getting a pre- CQI one new from a dealer is somewhere between extremely unlikely to non existing.
Yep. This.

I would love to see an LC200N Kapara though!
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

rivy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Larry_Mott wrote:
aaronkb wrote:
Yep. This.

I'll third that. Kapara Salt please!! LC200N is the perfect match for a food-prep oriented knife.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

All of the boxes have a date code printed on them. The first run, has a date code of 'JR' on it, which is Oct. 2018. This latest run, CQI, has a date code of 'HS' on it (Aug. 2019). There may have been a run in between those two, but I don't think so, and it would not have been a CQI version. ;)

What everyone else here has said, has to be the case. These flat sold out, on the first run. As I bought one of the very last ones of the first run, and also a second one, later, from this CQI run. On Sept. 10th 2019.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DukeNiemand wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:36 pm
rivy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
aaronkb wrote:
Yep. This.

I'll third that. Kapara Salt please!! LC200N is the perfect match for a food-prep oriented knife.
I fourth this! Lc200n and some more budget-friendly textured g10 would be awesome.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Should've been LC200N to begin with.

My only real complaint was that it pinched me if I opened it with the Spyderhole. Everything else was bang on.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm
it pinched me
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm
DukeNiemand wrote:
rivy wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:

Yep. This.

I fourth this! Lc200n and some more budget-friendly textured g10 would be awesome.
That's a great idea! FRN Kapara lightweight maybe?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
it pinched me
Exactly!
DukeNiemand wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
DukeNiemand wrote:
rivy wrote:
Yep. This.

I have to disagree, one of my absolute favorite parts of this knife was the beautiful contoured CF!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
it pinched me
Exactly!
DukeNiemand wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
DukeNiemand wrote:

I have to disagree, one of my absolute favorite parts of this knife was the beautiful contoured CF!
Can't we have both?! ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kleon,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
it pinched me
Exactly!
DukeNiemand wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Can't we have both?! ;)
And risk plunging the world into anarchy? I think not!

-Thomas Jefferson
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Kleon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm
My first run Kapara was exceptional - no observed issues whatsoever just had to adjust for the sharpened edge length difference between that and my PM2 for closing without giving myself small cuts on my index finger lol...

Welcome to the Spydero Forums, Kleon! :)

As far as I know, and Sal can correct me if I am missing something. They just changed the knife from having a pivot pin, to having a pivot bushing. So now it's more Manix 2 and Paramilitary like, in that area, and with its action.
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 pm
Kleon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Welcome to the Spydero Forums, Kleon! :)

As far as I know, and Sal can correct me if I am missing something. They just changed the knife from having a pivot pin, to having a pivot bushing. So now it's more Manix 2 and Paramilitary like, in that area, and with its action.
The CQI Kapara actually has a "removable" pivot bushing, unlike the bushing on the PM2 that is pressed into the blade. Nick Shabazz just did a disassembly video showing that:

https://youtu.be/xECQ1_ySisM
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:38 pm
Hi Kleon,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you sir. I have been using your work for decades starting with my Gin-1 Co-Pilot and Police Models up to my current addiction the YoJimbo and Shaman... although the Military has not left the left pocket of my duty pants for 20 years...

Kleon
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I hope that's the type of bushing system that will be on the Sage 5 LW. If it is thats gonna be a must-buy for me. Although I still might spring for the Kapara itself.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.