Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Shaman Cru-Wear Sprint Run release ?

Post by SG89 »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 pm
Spyderco, as a Company, messed this up. I think that is pretty clear. As a fan, I hope that they figure it out.
🤔
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Some tough love going on:0)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 pm
jdw wrote:
Spyderco, as a Company, messed this up. I think that is pretty clear. As a fan, I hope that they figure it out.
🤔
I, too, am confused by this. This is how every other popular sprint run is. Sprints are, by their very nature, limited and harder to come by. They're also often test runs for new configurations, steels, or designs, like the upcoming Stretch. This is obviously a very popular one, so I'm sure the company will take notice and make more of what sells.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

I see it as proof that folks have had it with the flippers. :eek: I know it will be tough, but if people could resist the urge to pay these exorbitant prices, the flippers would wither away and die off. A few extra bucks for shipping, etc. is one thing, but an extra $100 is just pure bull. :rolleyes: :mad:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Y'all new to sprint runs or what?
Spydergirl88
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm
I see it as proof that folks have had it with the flippers. :eek: I know it will be tough, but if people could resist the urge to pay these exorbitant prices, the flippers would wither away and die off. A few extra bucks for shipping, etc. is one thing, but an extra $100 is just pure bull. :rolleyes: :mad:
I'll tell you what. If I don't like mine, I'll sell it to you for only $99 extra! Just because we're such good friends and all.

;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

[quote=JuPaul post_id=1367090 time=1570754991 user_id=1002710]
[quote=Spydergirl88 post_id=1367087 time=1570754324 user_id=25912]
[quote=jdw post_id=1367086 time=1570754222 user_id=27728]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I, too, am confused by this. This is how every other popular sprint run is. Sprints are, by their very nature, limited and harder to come by. They're also often test runs for new configurations, steels, or designs, like the upcoming Stretch. This is obviously a very popular one, so I'm sure the company will take notice and make more of what sells.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am not sure what they messed up. I was able to get one the other day and had the opportunities to get one at knifeworks and one on ebay that i passed on just by partaking in this thread. That's three opportunities and they haven't even been shipped to dealers aside from the few in the premier program who got small shipments ahead of their much larger yet to come allotment.

The only issue I see is that I think we were led to believe (or more accurately just incorrectly assumed as a group) that 1,200 knives would be hitting dealers earlier this week and everyone got in a tizzy whenever a dealer would sell their two premier program knives in seconds. It made it seem like 1,200 knives were dissappearing before our eyes, when in reality I doubt there are more than 100 that have been sold at this point.

edit: not sure why quotes arent working?? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Didn’t Spyderco say that they were gonna try trickling the sprints out to make them potentially easier to find? Maybe this run will trickle out like that?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
jdw wrote:

Yeah, I am not sure what they messed up. I was able to get one the other day and had the opportunities to get one at knifeworks and one on ebay that i passed on just by partaking in this thread. That's three opportunities and they haven't even been shipped to dealers aside from the few in the premier program who got small shipments ahead of their much larger yet to come allotment.

The only issue I see is that I think we were led to believe (or more accurately just incorrectly assumed as a group) that 1,200 knives would be hitting dealers earlier this week and everyone got in a tizzy whenever a dealer would sell their two premier program knives in seconds. It made it seem like 1,200 knives were dissappearing before our eyes, when in reality I doubt there are more than 100 that have been sold at this point.

^This.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
jdw wrote:

Yeah, I guess the app notification could have been clearer about what exactly was shipping. But I still think everyone needs to do a little deep breathing, have a beer, and relax about it. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:11 pm
But I still think everyone needs to do a little deep breathing, have a beer, and relax about it. ;)
🍻
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've only been around a couple years now, but ive never seen such craziness over a new release. The DLT PM2/M390 and CV20/DLC got a bit intense...but this one takes the cake.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm
As long as ebay exists flipping will never end..the amount of people on this forum isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of foot traffic ebay gets..and I'm confident ebay will most likely be around way past when we are all gone..

Preaching might make you feel better but its going to have zero effect on flipping.

There are only 2 sure fire ways to end flipping:

1. No more sprints.

2. Saturate the market..make a lot more knives per sprint run..which has its own risks.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 pm
Y'all new to sprint runs or what?
Lol, no, not at all. Not me anyway. (Been on BladeForums since '98, with my current handle since '04, so I've been around the block a few times, lol.) But I AM sick and tired of the flippers. :mad:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm
I'll tell you what. If I don't like mine, I'll sell it to you for only $99 extra! Just because we're such good friends and all.

;)
O_o Yeah. :rolleyes: That would be a negatory Ghostrider. :p
Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 pm
As long as ebay exists flipping will never end..the amount of people on this forum isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of foot traffic ebay gets..and I'm confident ebay will most likely be around way past when we are all gone..

Preaching might make you feel better but its going to have zero effect on flipping.

There are only 2 sure fire ways to end flipping:

1. No more sprints.

2. Saturate the market..make a lot more knives per sprint run..which has its own risks.
See, that's where you're wrong. If folks would STOP BUYING from the flippers who mark things up through the stratosphere, they wouldn't have a market to sell to, and they'd stop when left holding 100's or 1,000's of dollars in inventory. :D But too many people have zero self control, and can't help themselves. :rolleyes: I've never bought a knife through fleabay, and never will. :)

I'll get one eventually, even if it's a used one. I don't want the thing to look at, I actually want it to use. Micarta cleans up easy enough with hot water and Dawn dish soap, and I like a patina on my carbon steels. So used will work, and worst case I'll just have to wait a bit longer for someone to get tired of theirs. ;)
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Going by some of the statements and opinions I’ve seen posted here and elsewhere, anyone who buys a knife for X amount of dollars, then sells it for X+y dollars, is a “flipper”.

So wouldn’t that make Spyderco a “flipper”? Don’t they purchase knives made by other makers(to their specs of course), like G.Sekai for example, and then sell them for a profit? Should they be selling us the knives made by other makers at the price they paid for them? And only make profit on the Golden made models they themselves make? I know it’s a silly, stupid argument, but dang it, that’s my silly, stupid logic. :rolleyes:

I personally like the fact that flippers are out there holding some of these knives away in pristine conditions. Even if it comes with a cost. That way when I do discover a long discontinued model or sprint that I missed out on, there’s a chance I can get nib specimen. Look at the s90v Shaman sprint. They’re only going for a tiny bit over MAP. I missed out when they dropped because I bought a different Spydie, but like knowing I can still get one even if it costs me $30-$50 flipper tax.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Good luck to all hoping for this one. I'll be in the mix too. :spyder: And when they're gone, and if I don't get one, there will be a sigh of relief, because I just saved over $200. :p
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

As I come back to this thread (which I love to do) a couple of times a day. Eating some popcorn, and having a beer (one per day). :D
I have something I would like to add, for those who may be mathematically challenged.

I'd like to attempt to set a line, as to where "flippers" are trying to gouge us for "extreme profit", or just trying to sell off an unwanted knife.
Where should that line be? There really isn't as much of this going on, as some may think.

Let's take a 'fictitious' $208 Sprint Run knife as an example' :p. It's bought for $208, and some have to pay for shipping on top of that. Not many mind you, but some. So
208 + 7.4 = 215.40

This person has now decided, that it's not for them, or it was a gift for a friend who died, or they have overspent in their budget, and just need the cash back. Whatever. So they go to eBay. A very popular destination for something like this. eBay will need a cut of the action. PayPal will also get their piece of the pie. The Post Office? Sure. They will need to handle the package yet again. The knife is worth $208, at least, right? So the eBay buyer now wants it fully insured, for that amount, during shipping. Priority Mail, is only good for the first $50 worth of insurance. The Buyer/Seller have to pay the difference. So here is some more math.

The above 215.40
+ 32.31 (eBay/PayPal Fees)
+ 2.50 Insurance
= 250.21

Adding up fast, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Including taking pictures, opening and packing boxes, printing labels, and writing the listing takes some time. Not to mention all of the time it takes to monitor the listing and answer messages. Not much time, but it all adds up. Maybe you then go a little out of your way, while burning petro, to drop it off at the post office yourself. A little more time. You got the box free, from the post office. So we won't be adding that here. The $7.40 spent for the Priority box and shipping, at USPS. Is a pretty good deal, and the shipping time makes the customer happy. You could maybe save a buck, possibly 2 if the shipping miles are short enough. But it's rarely worth it. So the eBay buyer will give you a good rating, since it came fully insured, and quick. A good rating there, is important. That'll come in handy. Because you just might want to sell something else again, later. We all want our knives quick, right?

So let's say now, that you have one hour into this re-sale. Does that sound reasonable? The average U.S. hourly wage is $27.16. A bit high for some locations and jobs, and a little low for others. That's why they call it an "Average". So we'll use it.

The above 250.21 + 27.16 = 277.37 - Is this guy/gal trying to flip a knife, and gouge his fellow knife lovers, on a Sprint run?

Now let's add into the mix, Collector Club Member Knives. Members who buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of knives every year. The first 200 knife backbone of Spyderco Nation. Do we expect them to love and cherish each and every single Spyderco knife that ships to their door? Of course not. So to recoup some of the tens of thousands of dollars worth of knives that they have agreed to buy every year. They are going to need a path, to sell some off. eBay, is one of the ways. You know. The 15% off the top route, and then some.

These knives are numbered, and are of the first 200 in the run. First access perks, and value, should a re-sale be decided upon. How rare is Bobs Spyderco #007? Is a numbered knife worth more to you? Is it worth even more to the next guy? Probably. What about the next guy or gal? They may REALLY want that number, and knife model. In that configuration! :D Does anyone smell an Auction? The American way, right? How much more is this early numbered production knife worth? How much is that number alone, worth to a buyer? After all. My lucky number is 24, so I'm willing to pay more for it. How much? I'd say about $25 to $100, in some case. Depending of course. So where does this land us?

$277.37 + the lower range of numbered knife extra rarity and value ($50). Brings us to $327.37, and now I'm out of popcorn . . . .
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 pm
As I come back to this thread (which I love to do) a couple of times a day. Eating some popcorn, and having a beer (one per day). :D
I have something I would like to add, for those who may be mathematically challenged.

I'd like to attempt to set a line, as to where "flippers" are trying to gouge us for "extreme profit", or just trying to sell off an unwanted knife.
Where should that line be? There really isn't as much of this going on, as some may think.

Let's take a 'fictitious' $208 Sprint Run knife as an example' :p. It's bought for $208, and some have to pay for shipping on top of that. Not many mind you, but some. So
208 + 7.4 = 215.40

This person has now decided, that it's not for them, or it was a gift for a friend who died, or they have overspent in their budget, and just need the cash back. Whatever. So they go to eBay. A very popular destination for something like this. eBay will need a cut of the action. PayPal will also get their piece of the pie. The Post Office? Sure. They will need to handle the package yet again. The knife is worth $208, at least, right? So the eBay buyer now wants it fully insured, for that amount, during shipping. Priority Mail, is only good for the first $50 worth of insurance. The Buyer/Seller have to pay the difference. So here is some more math.

The above 215.40
+ 32.31 (eBay/PayPal Fees)
+ 2.50 Insurance
= 250.21

Adding up fast, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Including taking pictures, opening and packing boxes, printing labels, and writing the listing takes some time. Not to mention all of the time it takes to monitor the listing and answer messages. Not much time, but it all adds up. Maybe you then go a little out of your way, while burning petro, to drop it off at the post office yourself. A little more time. You got the box free, from the post office. So we won't be adding that here. The $7.40 spent for the Priority box and shipping, at USPS. Is a pretty good deal, and the shipping time makes the customer happy. You could maybe save a buck, possibly 2 if the shipping miles are short enough. But it's rarely worth it. So the eBay buyer will give you a good rating, since it came fully insured, and quick. A good rating there, is important. That'll come in handy. Because you just might want to sell something else again, later. We all want our knives quick, right?

So let's say now, that you have one hour into this re-sale. Does that sound reasonable? The average U.S. hourly wage is $27.16. A bit high for some locations and jobs, and a little low for others. That's why they call it an "Average". So we'll use it.

The above 250.21 + 27.16 = 277.37 - Is this guy/gal trying to flip a knife, and gouge his fellow knife lovers, on a Sprint run?

Now let's add into the mix, Collector Club Member Knives. Members who buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of knives every year. The first 200 knife backbone of Spyderco Nation. Do we expect them to love and cherish each and every single Spyderco knife that ships to their door? Of course not. So to recoup some of the tens of thousands of dollars worth of knives that they have agreed to buy every year. They are going to need a path, to sell some off. eBay, is one of the ways. You know. The 15% off the top route, and then some.

These knives are numbered, and are of the first 200 in the run. First access perks, and value, should a re-sale be decided upon. How rare is Bobs Spyderco #007? Is a numbered knife worth more to you? Is it worth even more to the next guy? Probably. What about the next guy or gal? They may REALLY want that number, and knife model. In that configuration! :D Does anyone smell an Auction? The American way, right? How much more is this early numbered production knife worth? How much is that number alone, worth to a buyer? After all. My lucky number is 24, so I'm willing to pay more for it. How much? I'd say about $25 to $100, in some case. Depending of course. So where does this land us?

$277.37 + the lower range of numbered knife extra rarity and value ($50). Brings us to $327.37, and now I'm out of popcorn . . . .
Steve from the Midwest, I love your post. I'm sure many will hate your logic/truth, but to me A++. I've always just said supply and demand. You have broken it down like a professional engineer. This thread has been comical and really brings out people's view on capitalism. I too would like to purchase this knife because I think the combination is awesome. I hope those on this forum that "need" this Shaman get one. God Speed to those who try. That's about as shiny as I can be. Thanks Sal for making some amazing high demand knives.
Justin
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:53 pm
See, that's where you're wrong. If folks would STOP BUYING from the flippers
See, that's where you're right..If :D

But it seems to make you feel better so preach on :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

So is the one on eBay for $559.99 over or under that gouge line?? :p If some wealthy Nigerian Prince wants to pay that much maybe I'll throw mine up for $559.98 and use the proceeds to buy 2 at retail and a few cases of beer.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red