Lock-bar insert question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: Lock-bar insert question

Post by koenigsegg »

013 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:46 pm
I was asking because I just received a Mantra 2 for my birthday & it dawned on me that the CPM REX M4 steel that contacts the insert might not let the insert last as long as if it was also made out of the same material as the blade. Maybe it would be a good idea for Spyderco to start doing this. I know it would be a slight increase in manufacturing cost, but I feel this would give the insert a much longer life. The insert is not that large, so I don't think it would drastically effect cost. Who knows, there might be a galling issue involved that I'm not aware of. Just thinking out loud I guess...
013 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm
How much force are you putting on the spine of your blade that you're worried about this?
Who's worried?
I guess that was just the way I read it
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Regular use tools have silicone treated gun cloth wipe down at end of day.
You can also do this with any knife.
This is the way I do knife care as well. I just wipe it down with a cloth when needed of course washing off any salt or corrosive stuff before hand. I have gotten two years off of Renn waxed knives stored in the house with no corrosion whatsoever and don't know how much more I could leave them. Renn wax will yellow slightly after a couple of years on the knife but it still maintains it's seal even then.

Using this method I keep even my O1/52100/1070 knives looking clean and patina free just the way I like them. Waxing the knife is the most time consuming and I do my folders in 3 to 5 minutes at most. The silicone cloth is no more time consuming than wiping a knife with a paper towel. Some may claim they don't have time for even this level of care but I make time. It's well worth it to me.

Post by 013 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:53 pm
Regular use tools have silicone treated gun cloth wipe down at end of day.
You can also do this with any knife.
This is the way I do knife care as well. I just wipe it down with a cloth when needed of course washing off any salt or corrosive stuff before hand. I have gotten two years off of Renn waxed knives stored in the house with no corrosion whatsoever and don't know how much more I could leave them. Renn wax will yellow slightly after a couple of years on the knife but it still maintains it's seal even then.

Using this method I keep even my O1/52100/1070 knives looking clean and patina free just the way I like them. Waxing the knife is the most time consuming and I do my folders in 3 to 5 minutes at most. The silicone cloth is no more time consuming than wiping a knife with a paper towel. Some may claim they don't have time for even this level of care but I make time. It's well worth it to me.
When I received my Spy Mantra II, I had already purchased some "Break Free Collector Gun Wipes" so that I could wipe down the blade. First time out of the package I wiped down the Ti slabs & the blade, then used a shop towel to wipe off the excess. Now I use the wipes on the blade every few days. I've been reusing the same wipe, then storing it in a ziploc. At this rate, it seems like one wipe is going to last a really long time. There's 20 wipes in the container. It would seem like a great idea to carry 1 wipe in one of those small keychain pill containers so that you have one with you out in "the field".
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:

Post by 013 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 pm
013 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:46 pm
I was asking because I just received a Mantra 2 for my birthday & it dawned on me that the CPM REX M4 steel that contacts the insert might not let the insert last as long as if it was also made out of the same material as the blade. Maybe it would be a good idea for Spyderco to start doing this. I know it would be a slight increase in manufacturing cost, but I feel this would give the insert a much longer life. The insert is not that large, so I don't think it would drastically effect cost. Who knows, there might be a galling issue involved that I'm not aware of. Just thinking out loud I guess...
013 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 pm
How much force are you putting on the spine of your blade that you're worried about this?
Who's worried?
I guess that was just the way I read it
What I meant was that the stainless insert is nowhere near as wear resistant as the CPM REX M4 HC HS tool steel tang. I am not a "spine whacker" & I never abuse my tools so that they intentionally fail.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder: