Slipjoint mod Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
diRk_262

Re: Slipjoint mod Para 3

Post by diRk_262 »

No updates on this? :confused:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

diRk_262 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm
Patience! ;) Spyderco is a very busy company. This part is one of many different projects they're currently working on. I'm sure they will provide updates when they can.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

diRk_262 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm
I can totally understand your impatiance, for it´s a really cool idea and design of yours, but I have to join mushroom: If you stick around here longer, you´ll learn that Spyderco just can bring out all these amazing designs and variants (a lot more than any other knife company as far as I am aware of), as they are constantly actually working on all those stuff, but only have so much capacities!

Don´t be misled into the feeling they would disregard your idea!! Lass Ihnen einfach ein bißchen Zeit! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

I don't try to rush anyone.
I am just curious as hell :p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi diRK,

Funny your timing is very good. We received the drawings and first made an SLA of the part in plastic. Then, in order to be more precise, we made a couple of steel part with a wire EDM. I just received a prototype last week with the part installed and I've been testing it.

While it is an interesting modification and we appreciate the time and effort that you put into the concept, we feel that the strength of the knife in the open position is not strong enough for a production piece. The finger choil does present a certain amount of safety, the possibility of accidental closure is too great in our opinion to offer it to the public.

We've spent a great deal of time testing slip-joints and finding the best balance of ease of one hand open and security of the knife resisting accidental closure is challenging at best.

I'd like to thank you for your efforts and for sharing your idea.

sal
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

Hi sal,
thanks for your reply and feedback. Sorry for my late reply, I was "out of order".

I already thought that the weak slip joint will be a KO criteria and I understand that you (and Spyderco) don't want to sell a part which will be a safety risk.

The part is not a perfect solution for the "carry a locking knife problem" but for me is really great.
I am able to carry my favorite knife within Germany without the fear to do something illegal. But you are right, a stronger slip joint would be nice.

Maybe someday my dream will come true and Spyderco will make a Para3 SlipJoint version. Exactly like the Para3, but just a Slipjoint instead of the compression lock.
I ( and a lot of other people) would be very very happy about it :spyder:

diRk
Tzr09

Post by Tzr09 »

Hi all,

Great idea Dirk and thanks for sharing.

New here. I came across this post as been looking to make my para3 legal as here in uk we cant carry locking knives. Love the para3.

Is great what Dirk came up with. I use my knife mainly to open boxes and that great fidgeting factor that the para3 has.

Can this mod be purchased from anyone here?

Thanks
Elron