Is this a grip that you use?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you use the index choil on your Spyderco with your thumb on the ramp?

Yes, it's my preferred grip.
55%
Yes, but I grip behind the choil more frequently.
21%
I do not use that grip, but sometimes use choils with other grips.
13%
I do not use that grip, or any variant of it.
11%

Total votes: 53

vivi

Is this a grip that you use?

Post by vivi »

With the talk about choils and detail work lately, I was curious about something.

I see a lot of people post pictures of them using this grip:

I generally do not use this grip, because I find it uncomfortable for my thumb. Most Spyderco knives don't give my thumb enough room to comfortably extend to the thumb ramp while using the index choil.

Now on the Calypso I can scoot my hand back a bit and make that grip work for me. Same thing with my Police folders:

But this isn't possible to do on many of the smaller designs that rely on a choil for a four finger grip.

This is one of the reasons you don't see me carrying designs like the Dragonfly, because they don't offer much in the way of alternatives for my grip.

I suppose I could wrap my thumb around their handles, but then cutting feels less precise, which negates one of the big draws of a smaller knife. I could also put my thumb on the spine, but then it's going to get in the way of what I'm cutting.

On my larger knives like the Calypso, Manix XL, Military and Police, I prefer gripping them behind the choil. The rare times I utilize the index choil, my thumb does not use the ramp.

Over the years I've realized that the most ergonomic Spydercos have my thumb extend about an inch past my index finger, and designs that don't allow that rarely stick around for me.

For me, the ability to extend my thumb like in the above picture is a requirement for good ergonomics. I voted no.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Re: Is this a grip that you use?

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi, since the two of us have discussed "grip stuff" several times already, you may know my reply already:

I almost never put my thumb on thumb ramp or spine of the blade, but almost always on the side / the flat of the blade, regardless if choked up on choil, Ricasso or edge or all fingers on the actual handle. Pic below
(see also my thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85026 )

For me the blade feels more stable and controllable that way and most likely actually IS in fact, since it can't move or cant sideways and the handle can't roll in the hand

Another advantage: More knife designs are comfortable that way, cause factors like thumb ramp or not, distance from thumb to ramp and so on don't come into play.

Still, I like the "hump", ramp and opening hole a lot, since it offers more surface to put the thumb on the side of the blade or even sideways a bit in the opening hole.

Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Depends on the knife, depends on what I'm doing, but yes, I often use that grip. FWIW, I wear a size medium glove and the fingers are always too long.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: Here is how I hold a folder when not choking up:

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

If I use an index choil, my thumb is usually on the spine of the blade ahead of the hump. Like the OP my thumb feels cramped if I try to place it behind the hump while using the choil.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I use the chili, but my thumb naturally rests much further forward. In most cases, it feels like I have to bend my thumb back weirdly to use the ramp. But I have stupid-long fingers so that’s just me
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It really depends on the knife. I almost never use the choil on a Military so using the thumb ramp is much more comfortable since my thumb isn't as scrunched up. It's probably 50/50 on my Dfly and that's one of the only "little big knives" I've had that felt decent behind the choil and it makes the saber grip much more comfortable. Overall though I'd have to say I am gravitating away from thumb ramps and towards models that can be gripped in Filipino grip. That is by far my favorite and most comfortable way to use most knives as long as my thumb isn't in the way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

With my smaller hands this a very comfortable grip for me (in men's gloves I need a medium for length, but they're always too wide).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:22 pm
It really depends on the knife. I almost never use the choil on a Military so using the thumb ramp is much more comfortable since my thumb isn't as scrunched up. It's probably 50/50 on my Dfly and that's one of the only "little big knives" I've had that felt decent behind the choil and it makes the saber grip much more comfortable. Overall though I'd have to say I am gravitating away from thumb ramps and towards models that can be gripped in Filipino grip. That is by far my favorite and most comfortable way to use most knives as long as my thumb isn't in the way.
May I ask: What is the "Filipino grip"?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:59 pm
Evil D wrote:
May I ask: What is the "Filipino grip"?

Thumb extended and relaxed forward on the spine of the blade, ala Yojumbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I voted yes. Whenever using a choiled knife, that's the typical way I grip it. However, I use a variety of grips depending on what's comfortable for the situation. Especially when cutting with alot of force, I tend to keep my index finger further back or even use a "hammer" grip. Full size handles with extra grip options are a huge plus for me.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A lot of times I choke up, like the 2nd photo you posted. But instead of placing my thumb on the ramp, i place it over the hump, on the spine around half way down the blade. Gives me the best control with my cutting. The way you show it in the photo looks cramped, even for me sometimes...and I don't have those big ole meat paws like you either.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sok

Post by sok »

Yep. That first grip is my default grip. I move from there.
Last edited by sok on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 pm
Added to my post above: Here is how I hold a folder when not choking up:

I use a grip closer to that when I'm doing food prep on a cutting board.
Evil D wrote:
I've been doing the same. The lack of a thumb ramp was part of the appeal of the Waterway, and is one reason I've been interested in the Native Chief.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I use whatever grip feels right at the time. At work, that’s a lot of grips. I don’t mind the hump even, as in these pics.,,

Not sure why, but as in the top pic, I like my index finger under the point of the grip, choil or not.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I can usually adjust my grip on most knives to use them comfortably. Whether I'm using the choil and thumb ramp or not.

Like Jazz said, I also tend to adjust my grip depending on the situation. So, yes, I do use that grip on occasion.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Using a Delica for reference...
The 1st grip might be used to cut 45 degrees down and away from me. The hand forward and closer to the blade and thumb close by behind the hump should provide extra force to the edge push cutting, vs the same grip with the hand moved back.

The second grip looks useful for forceful thrusting and piercing.
The 3rd one same as #2 but more so, and less control.

I've probably used these grips at times under unusual circumstances.

Most of the time, my thumb and fore finger are on each side of the blade, or
thumb on side of blade and fore finger somewhere on the spine, or
thumb on pivot and fore finger on side of blade,
with 3 fingers underneath for support.

Undecided on the vote.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i use that grip on all knives that have a choil. i kind of like the way my thumb is crammed against the ramp because it feels locked in and secure, which works well for more detailed cutting. if i’m cutting harder materials for longer durations, i’ll probably be using a fixed blade the fills the hand more and has more neutral ergos.

edited to add:
i also frequently put my middle finger in the choil and my index finger along the spine with my thumb on the side of the blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I let the knife talk to me. It says do this, pinch grip etc.. All part of the riddle of steel be silent allow the design to speak to yoU.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do use the thumb ramp. It helps lock the knife into my hand. I don’t use choil except on small knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050