I think Spyderco should do more titanium framelocks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: I think Spyderco should do more titanium framelocks

Post by Bill1170 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:32 am
Since that's all we see everywhere, I'd disagree with you, but that's just my frame/linerlock disliking self's opinion.
I agree. Titanium frame locks are overrated and ubiquitous.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

p_atrick wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 am
Spyderco filed a patent for the compression lock on 23 February, 2000. That means their exclusive rights to use this style of lock will expire in four months. They might be trying to make one last push with this lock before they face outside competition.
Are other companies just waiting for the patent to expire to fill the world with more compression lock knives?

Looks like it expires in 2021, not next year.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Ti Frame Lock is my favorite, my main EDC is a CRK LG INKOSI.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:03 am
p_atrick wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:15 am
Spyderco filed a patent for the compression lock on 23 February, 2000. That means their exclusive rights to use this style of lock will expire in four months. They might be trying to make one last push with this lock before they face outside competition.
Are other companies just waiting for the patent to expire to fill the world with more compression lock knives?

Looks like it expires in 2021, not next year.
Yeah, the patent said it was filed in 2000, but it might have been granted in 2001. I don't know enough about patent law to be honest. Regardless, Spyderco's patent is coming to an end. When Benchmade recently had their patent expire for the Axis lock, it didn't take long for knives to go on sale using a similar lock (Axis lock is trademarked). It felt like the Drop Perpetua (made by Millit) was on sale almost immediately after the patent expired. The Hogue Ritter Mk2 G2 (or whatever alphabet soup makes up the knife's name) is another. Given that both came to market shortly after the patent expired, I'm guessing they were prototyping and QA'ing their knives while the patent was still good. So I would say that somebody must surely be doing the same with the compression lock. Surprisingly, neither of the locks from Hogue and Millit really differ much from the Benchmade design. They both use omega springs (I think that name might be trademarked too), which has been a complaint from those who see their knives break. I kinda thought they would try and improve the lock to differentiate themselves from Benchmade (the Perpetua does have full liners). Instead they are competing on price (which isn't really all that hard with Benchmade). I'm interested in seeing how the compression lock evolves once open to the public. Can it be improved? In what ways?

Long story short, the patent is coming to an end, and surely somebody out there is testing this lock for use in their own knives.

PS - A few custom makers have licensed the compression lock in the past (Smock and Jarosz come to mind). So you could see more knives from them with this lock.
Monty

Post by Monty »

If this lil' Nirvana is a reality, I'm going to be pretty happy. (Sal if you need Pre-production testing you know where to find me)

Wouldn't mind a re-release of the slysz bowie, or for that matter any knives that have gone crazy high on the secondary since being discontinued.
Last edited by Monty on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monty

Post by Monty »

double post, have a nice Sunday everyone.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

We need another Slysz Bowie... a smaller one :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Eh!
Compression locks are strong, simple, light, and priced right.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

glutofknives wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 am
I cant remember the thread, but I think Sal was talking about possibly moving the polestar to golden with better materials. What would everyone think of a Titanium framelock polestar? I would buy two.
I'd be interested in an upgraded polestar or alcyone, for sure. But I agree, ti framelocks are all over the place, and I like that spyderco offers a lot of different options. I don't love frame/liner locks in general, I really just tolerate them on models I otherwise like.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am
We need another Slysz Bowie... a larger one :eek:
I completely agree ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I’ve come to prefer the backlock. It’s strong and doesn’t interrupt or compromise any handle real estate where it matters (around the fingers and fore grip).
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ferider

Post by ferider »

FK wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:06 am
Spyderco has to refine their titanium frame lock design, too many with lock stick problems.
Alternative is to have all of them with steel insert and avoid sticking completely.

Regards,
FK
Agree. The Advocate and Ti Military clearly show that they know what to do. I frankly don’t understand why they keep manufacturing non insert frame locks.
Robishere

Post by Robishere »

Could it be that after getting used to a smooth handle (stainless or titanium rather than cheap g10 or frn that bite into your palm) and a solid lock with a handle that doesn’t bend or squish held together with 2 or 3 screws......people like me find anything compression or para whatever feels like holding a barbie doll or plastic cap gun?
Could it be that people are tired of g10 wearing smooth just from being in their jeans?
Could it be that people get fed up of being asked if they got their frn Spyderco out of a bucket at the end of the counter at a hardware store?
I have had kits of people look at a para 3 and say “”this is a Spyderco? It feels cheap. I thought these were supposed to be high end knives!”

I ADORE my chaparral cts-xhp titanium, my titanium M4 Gayle Bradley, and once I got the ZT 0562 carbon fiber cpm-20v I went and got the all stainless as well.
I for one am fed up with the plastic handles and squishy thin locks and sharp edges on the plastic I have to sand down.
82C27445-4557-412A-B9C9-C23A955409A1.jpeg
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Idk, I just enjoy having some titanium framelocks in my rotation, but I like Spyderco's design language the best in terms of ergonomics and blade steel. S35vn framelock flippers are boring and a dime a dozen, but titanium framelocks with melty ergonomics and state of the art blade steels from Spyderco interest me a great deal.

Backlock still my fav, but titanium framelock with a g10 show scale a la brouwer I find very nice atm, and would love to see more, in addition to plenty of back lock and comp lock offerings
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've suggested this before but I'll throw it out there again....

Titanium Compression Frame Lock.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 am
I've suggested this before but I'll throw it out there again....

Titanium Compression Frame Lock.
You and me both...

I would own one, if the dang ATR wasn't so dang hard to find and stupidly expensive!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

glutofknives wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:58 am
I cant remember the thread, but I think Sal was talking about possibly moving the polestar to golden with better materials.
I remember that thread. He threw around a handful of options to consider. I think a Polestar with a compression lock would be my favorite knife in the whole catalog. We're really missing choil-less mid-size compression lock options.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hard disagree from me, especially given the various hit and miss on using inserts, having issues with either lock slip or stick, etc.

Comp lock is a better solution from an engineering perspective as well.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Lots of competition for Ti framelocks and Spyderco doesn’t have a great record there.
I’d say stick with what they do well.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:06 am
Bdubs808 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:22 am
I would like to see a Golden, Colorado frame lock knife with a new original design. Taiwan is great too, but I'd like something closer to the Slysz Bowie, no flipper.
Foundry?
The Foundry has a handle that is made of stainless steel, not titanium.

Recently I've been less picky about super steel and more interested in titanium handles because of the luxury feeling. I can't afford a Rolex or Omega, but because knife pricing is different than watches I can buy a knife for roughly 400 and have a "Date Just" or "Speedmaster" of the knife world and enjoy that exclusivity factor; most people who carry pocket knives would think a Sebenza is a waste of money, the same way a Casio user might think a Grand Seiko is not worth the price.