How’s the Native Salt treating you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DukeBrnz

How’s the Native Salt treating you?

Post by DukeBrnz »

Hey all, quick question: how’s that Native Salt treating you?

See I’ve had an M4 Native and that backlock action was a revelation. It was so smooth, that if the action on the Salt is as stiff as my Tasman I’m gonna be very disappointed.

So how do you guys like yours?
blades&wrenches

Re: How’s the Native Salt treating you?

Post by blades&wrenches »

Sorry to say, but poor action and blade play that couldn’t be adjusted out are the two reasons I sold mine. I love the Native and wanted to like it very bad, but I was quite disappointed 😞. Bought a SE Salt 2 after and couldn’t be happier with it!
Last edited by blades&wrenches on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

Sorry to hear it! Maybe I should just get that SE Dragonfly Salt calling my name instead..
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 pm
Sorry to hear it! Maybe I should just get that SE Dragonfly Salt calling my name instead..
I’ve read reviews on both sides of the spectrum. Some love theirs and have not had issues, but some, like me, have received some with very stiff actions and play.
The DF2 Salt is a fine blade and doubt you’d be disappointed in it. It almost disappears in the pocket, even is swim shorts!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

stiff action and a little play occasionally. it’s still pretty solid and a great edc beater knife. i often carry it when i only want to carry one knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Fairly stiff action on mine at first, but it did break in with use. No real blade play issues, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

No problems with mine. Used it quite a bit before rotating out to my Pacific for the late summer. I like a suspended wax lube for the pivot like White Lightning seems to work best. I can easily one-hand close quickly and easily. Keep in mind the toothpaste treatment does work, takes a little time but loosens up the action quite nicely.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:20 pm
No problems with mine. Used it quite a bit before rotating out to my Pacific for the late summer. I like a suspended wax lube for the pivot like White Lightning seems to work best. I can easily one-hand close quickly and easily. Keep in mind the toothpaste treatment does work, takes a little time but loosens up the action quite nicely.
Toothpaste treatment? That’s a new one for me. Are you polishing with it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
Toothpaste treatment? That’s a new one for me. Are you polishing with it?
Never heard of that treatment too, I'm courious... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Had a (S35VN) Native LW once, the action and especially the execution of the backlock were great. No blade play as far as I remember.

So I am just wondering: Why should the Native Salt be "worse" in general than the also linerless "regular" Native LW? Differences are just the type of steel and color of the handle, right?! :confused:
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

I have the Salt and the Cruwear linerless G10. The G10 is much smoother, flickable if I adjust it just right. The Salt is a slow deploy. I'm tempted to put the Salt blade in the G10 handle but then I'd have a cruwear blade in a FRN handle lol. Now that they've gone to linerless G10, I'd really like to see a full Salt variant in the G10 configuration like the Caribbean.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I've got the SE Native Salt, lock action is great, easy to depress and free dropping with no blade play...

I didn't know that others were having problems with theirs. I do like the idea of switching out the scales with one of my linerless G10 versions though.
So it goes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Mines great. Going to get a serrated one on my next knife order. Just waiting until next years catalog to see whats new. Besides the pacific salt 2 of course.
I also have the chief, cruwear g10 native 5, and s110v native 5 lightweight. If I were honestly ranking all those locks at a 10 out of 10, then the N5 salt is still a 9. I can feel the action isnt quite as smooth but if anything its on me. All my salts get rode hard and put away wet. Generally I also will intentionally not clean or baby them. If that lock is still a 9 even with neglect I have to say the notion of it not being good is possibly exaggerated. Maybe the other natives have spoiled people. Maybe mine was better out of the box, not sure.
I think they do take some time to break in.
Mine also had an audible click in the left/right trying to test for blade play motion. That was a weird sentence but I think people will understand what im saying. Took alot of pushing on the blade and I cant honestly call it blade play. Just a click. Weird thing is it seems to be gone now. Maybe ive got alot of salt residue up in there.
Either way im still getting a serrated to go with my pe.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

Mine was stiff at first but broke in well. No play on mine.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

DukeBrnz wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Hey all, quick question: how’s that Native Salt treating you?

See I’ve had an M4 Native and that backlock action was a revelation. It was so smooth, that if the action on the Salt is as stiff as my Tasman I’m gonna be very disappointed.

So how do you guys like yours?
I would say my Native 5 Salt is perfect. Within a few days of carry and use the knife was starting to drop shut; months later, it drop shuts smoother than my 4 year old Endura. There is no blade play. I've taken it in the ocean and didn't clean it afterwards, there was zero rust. Highly recommended.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

No blade play, it will drop shut, but the opening action is stiff, the worst of all my Spydercos. It's very difficult to flick open.

Because it will drop shut but won't fick open, I think it's an issue with the strength of the back lock spring. When I press really hard down on it, the blade free swings nicely but to flick it open the pressure bust be too high and too much friction between the LC200N blade and lock. Lube help a little bit, but unless the spring looses some of it's tension over time, I don't think it will improve any further.

I still like it.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 pm
Had a (S35VN) Native LW once, the action and especially the execution of the backlock were great. No blade play as far as I remember.

So I am just wondering: Why should the Native Salt be "worse" in general than the also linerless "regular" Native LW? Differences are just the type of steel and color of the handle, right?! :confused:
Well, one would hope. However, judging by the comments it’s a mixed bag. I’ve had a fair sample of Spyderco backlocks, and while none had any blade play or serious problems; there’s something of a spread in how smooth the action is. The linerless G10 Native I sold had simply the best action of any backlock I’ve tried hands down, including customs. The “worst” is my Tasman, it’s flickable but it takes a conscious effort and a fair bit of power. If I picked up the same model but action was like my other Salt, I doubt I would want to keep it because I’d always think of how good it can be. Yes, it’s nitpicky and petty but well, I am a petty and shallow man sometimes.

Some of these anecdotes give me hope, but it seems hit or miss. I don’t want to be stuck with another knife that should enjoy but can’t.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Mine has been a favorite since I got it. The action isn't as smooth as my linerless G10 native, but has solid lockup and drops halfway shut upon lock release. Definitely reliable high performance, even if not premium feeling compared to higher end Spydies. LC200N delivers.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

spoonrobot wrote:
Yes, can you please elaborate on this toothpaste treatment?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a single spydie back lock that will drop all the way shut (like a comp lock will, for example). Honestly I didn't know that was possible! Most of mine can be easily closed one-handed with a little flick to pop the blade forward, and can be deployed with the spydie hole and a little wrist flick, but none are as "flickable" as the comp locks or cbbl locks I have. I feel like to get true "flickability" I'd have to loosen the pivots to the point of being unsafe. Am I just doing something wrong?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:34 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
Yes, can you please elaborate on this toothpaste treatment?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a single spydie back lock that will drop all the way shut (like a comp lock will, for example). Honestly I didn't know that was possible! Most of mine can be easily closed one-handed with a little flick to pop the blade forward, and can be deployed with the spydie hole and a little wrist flick, but none are as "flickable" as the comp locks or cbbl locks I have. I feel like to get true "flickability" I'd have to loosen the pivots to the point of being unsafe. Am I just doing something wrong?
Don´t know if I get you right, but I can flick open all of my backlocks easily with my thumb, and most of them even with all fingers... (pinky in a revese grip of course). The hardest to do is the Chap LW, due to its light blade.