K390 fans rejoice!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: K390 fans rejoice!

Post by DougC-3 »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:37 pm
I don't know what the obsession with laminating good steel is about but I really hope they don't laminate these.
I think it's mainly an outgrowth of the centuries old Japanese tradition of laminating and/or differentially tempering the spine and edge of swords to give them a very hard edge but still resist breaking. But I also hope they don't laminate these.

Edit: But I'll like 'em either way ;)
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Funny what becomes en vogue and what falls out of favor. People are fickle.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, even the light saber is so yesterday.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I also would like a k390 chappy if Spyderco makes it :D the delica and dragonfly would be must haves too
jdw

Post by jdw »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:09 pm
Funny what becomes en vogue and what falls out of favor. People are fickle.
I don't know about that. Lamination is a deal breaker for me and pretty much always has been.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If the laminate didn’t scratch super easy, it’d be fine. I do like how some steels lightly patina though, and the cladding hides it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I don't mind the scratches, and I know it doesn't affect function, but I do like for the exposed amount of the middle layer to look at least roughly similar on both sides.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm
I don't mind the scratches, and I know it doesn't affect function, but I do like for the exposed amount of the middle layer to look at least roughly similar on both sides.
Agreed, I quite like to see the patina pattern, but I want symmetry in that pattern.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am stoked at the idea of having a K390 Endura and Delica. I hope they release these first.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Super77

Post by Super77 »

Maybe I messed something but where are these going to be released? Sprint run/exclusive or are all the dealers going to get a few?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 am
I am stoked at the idea of having a K390 Endura and Delica. I hope they release these first.
And I hope if all the Endura family members get the K390 treatment, that will be the time when you finally give the EndELa a try, Doc... :D

I'd be really courious about your opinion on it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:04 am
If the laminate didn’t scratch super easy, it’d be fine. I do like how some steels lightly patina though, and the cladding hides it.
For real though, I find the easy scratching kinda disappointing.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Laminated or not, put some G-10 handles on the Delica and put my address on the box! Not holding my breath for that though. I imagine if they're doing the whole family in it, it will simply be a different color FRN.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Scratches and symmetry don't bother me. Cut some cardboard with VG10 and you'll see a bunch of scratches.

I like my laminated blades and my non-laminated blades. I'm happy with both and neither is a deal breaker.

If anyone dislikes the scratches, the flip side of this is that the lamination steel is soft enough to easily fix with strops or stones. The added bonus of cleaning up the scratches, is that the blade will be thinned out over time, with each scratch removal thinning the blade a very slight bit more. Instead of the edge getting thicker over the years, it will stay the same, or improve, by thinning out.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I imagine another strategy to address the easily scratched laminate would be to refinish the blade in a coarser grit. I would consider running it on an 80 grit belt. Not sure that would be an improvement but it probably wouldn't show scratches. I wonder if bead/sand blasting would work too.
Of course a non stainless will rust more readily when finished to a coarser grit or blasted.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

How about a Tatanka aha
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wanimator wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:24 pm
How about a Tatanka aha
That would be awesome.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:
And I hope if all the Endura family members get the K390 treatment, that will be the time when you finally give the EndELa a try, Doc... :D

Every time I think of getting one, I am just not that excited. In that size I already have a few Manix LW’s and only so much money.
I have a Serrated edge N5 I would trade for one. But, one day maybe I’ll get to handle one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I’m in for a Delica, Dragonfly, and Ladybug no matter if it’s solid or laminated. That being said I find that I do like the look of the lamination line and I don’t mind scratches.. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Every time I think of getting one, I am just not that excited. In that size I already have a few Manix LW’s and only so much money.
I have a Serrated edge N5 I would trade for one. But, one day maybe I’ll get to handle one.
The Endela is very different to a Manix LW... and just for me personally the better knife in that size category. And it gives you a bit more edge in a much slimmer package.
Should you ever choose to give the Endela a try, let me recommend once more: Get the serrated one!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)