Choose my knife (or my fate) for 4 days!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What will my knife be for 4 days in the middle of nowhere?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 am

Endura 4 FFG vg10
14%
Manix 2 LW BD1N
14%
Military s30v
39%
Pacific salt PE
10%
Pacific salt SE
23%

Total votes: 83

Ankerson

Re: Choose my knife (or my fate) for 4 days!

Post by Ankerson »

jdw wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 am
prndltech wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:44 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:32 am
I wouldn't go anywhere in the wilderness with just a folder, I don't care what folder it was.
Yes, I got that. Point taken. However, this thread Isn’t about if I should take a folder instead of a fixed blade.

As previously stated... I’ve been here before and I will have a fixed blade in my bag, should it be necessary.

Wild animals such as boars and big cats are ever present there, so I’m not just walking out there unprepared either. The trusty 10mm with proper ammo will be on my side.
Not a jab but if you can bring down a boar with a 10mm handgun then you are one heck of a shot. FWIW, I love what you are doing and this is a fun thread.
Or a large bear for that matter.

I was thinking the same thing, boars are very hard to bring down, they don't stop if they are charging you. They will attack people more so than other animals... I would want something more than a 10mm handgun, a big bore rifle ideally and a repeater like a lever action or pump. A .444 Marlin or .45-70 GOV.

Bears are smarter as they don't normally bother people, they stay clear unless they have cubs normally.

Same with Mountain Lions, unless you are close to their den, cubs or a fresh kill.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

jdw wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
I wouldn't go anywhere in the wilderness with just a folder, I don't care what folder it was.
Yes, I got that. Point taken. However, this thread Isn’t about if I should take a folder instead of a fixed blade.

As previously stated... I’ve been here before and I will have a fixed blade in my bag, should it be necessary.

Wild animals such as boars and big cats are ever present there, so I’m not just walking out there unprepared either. The trusty 10mm with proper ammo will be on my side.
Not a jab but if you can bring down a boar with a 10mm handgun then you are one heck of a shot. FWIW, I love what you are doing and this is a fun thread.
None taken. Proper 10mm loads are plenty capable and with the g20 I have 16 rounds of 200 gr. FMJ’s going 1300+ fps. ready to go in a single mag.
I’m not going hog hunting, it’s purely for defensive purposes in case we get “surprised”.

But then again, that’s neither here no there for this thread. An age old debate.

Also... no bears to worry about.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 am
jdw wrote:
prndltech wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

None taken. Proper 10mm loads are plenty capable and with the g20 I have 16 rounds of 200 gr. FMJ’s going 1300+ fps. ready to go in a single mag.
I’m not going hog hunting, it’s purely for defensive purposes in case we get “surprised”.

But then again, that’s neither here no there for this thread. An age old debate.

Better hope there is a tree close by...

All you are going to do is piss a boar off with that 10mm if it's charging you. If you have time to even get the gun out in the 1st place.

Unless you are VERY lucky.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 am
prndltech wrote:
jdw wrote:
prndltech wrote:

All you are going to do is piss a boar off with that 10mm if it's charging you.

I’ve hog hunted with it exclusively, I load my own for it. It’s been my hunting sidearm for years and I’m comfortable with it. I shoot it faster and more accurate than my .44 mag. And again, I don’t know you or your experiences with 10mm but it’s been proven capable time and time again. But I’ll repeat myself once more that’s not what this trip or this thread is about
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 am
prndltech wrote:
jdw wrote:

All you are going to do is piss a boar off with that 10mm if it's charging you.

I’ve hog hunted with it exclusively, I load my own for it. It’s been my hunting sidearm for years and I’m comfortable with it. I shoot it faster and more accurate than my .44 mag. And again, I don’t know you or your experiences with 10mm but it’s been proven capable time and time again. But I’ll repeat myself once more that’s not what this trip or this thread is about

Good luck...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:05 am
Good luck...
Thanks dude, it will be a fun time! And more than likely won’t see any of the previously mentioned animals anyways. With 3 people enough noise will be present I doubt we’ll have anything to worry about (never have before going there unless it was intentional early morning/ evening hunt) and I imagine one of the others will probably have a rifle of some sort knowing them. But who knows...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:13 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:05 am
Good luck...
Thanks dude, it will be a fun time! And more than likely won’t see any of the previously mentioned animals anyways. With 3 people enough noise will be present I doubt we’ll have anything to worry about (never have before going there unless it was intentional early morning/ evening hunt) and I imagine one of the others will probably have a rifle of some sort knowing them. But who knows...

Hopefully..

You likely won't see one.. Ideally in your case.

There is a rather huge difference in hunting and being hunted.... That's what I was getting at... HUGE MASSIVE difference... And something that can move that fast and is extremely aggressive... I would want something with a lot more punch than a handgun, even a .12 Gauge would be better in that situation. Although a big bore rifle would be ideal.

Yeah maybe that gun would be fine if you are hunting them, I know a lot about the 10mm, had one over 30 years ago.... It's great for people as a defense weapon.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Well so far it’s looking like the military is going to win this one. Shouldn’t be surprised, it’s a helluva knife.

Probably end up getting me hooked back on the mili model. Although I’d like to have it done in SE again!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
anycal

Post by anycal »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:44 pm
anycal wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Military!

I don’t have Pacific Salt, and Endura, although a nice knife, does not have the ergonomics and the comfortable grip of the Military.

Not sure who mentioned it, but I don’t see how the Endura’s tip is more robust than the one on the Military?
The Endura tip definitely IS more robust than the Millies, just by geometry (and a bit also cause VG10 might be tougher than S30V??)
Sal said the "drop" on the tip of the Endura 4 is meant to make the tip sturdier (and, yes, a bit less acute, but still way enough so in my use).
I disagree.

Endura tip is pretty pointy, even with the drop. It's not like it is a sheep's foot. I took out my calipers. The only place where the tip of the Endura measures slightly more, is the tallness of the tip, for a lack of better term. All other measurements of the thickness of the blade stock show the Military to measure more.

So, if the Endura stock at the tip is thinner but taller, does it make it more robust than the Military? How would you test that?

'Sal said the "drop" on the tip of the Endura 4 is meant to make the tip sturdier'. Sturdier than what? Sturdier than Military? Hmm.....
Peter
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:44 pm
anycal wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Military!

I don’t have Pacific Salt, and Endura, although a nice knife, does not have the ergonomics and the comfortable grip of the Military.

Not sure who mentioned it, but I don’t see how the Endura’s tip is more robust than the one on the Military?
The Endura tip definitely IS more robust than the Millies, just by geometry (and a bit also cause VG10 might be tougher than S30V??)
Sal said the "drop" on the tip of the Endura 4 is meant to make the tip sturdier (and, yes, a bit less acute, but still way enough so in my use).
I disagree.

Endura tip is pretty pointy, even with the drop. It's not like it is a sheep's foot. I took out my calipers. The only place where the tip of the Endura measures slightly more, is the tallness of the tip, for a lack of better term. All other measurements of the thickness of the blade stock show the Military to measure more.

So, if the Endura stock at the tip is thinner but taller, does it make it more robust than the Military? How would you test that?

'Sal said the "drop" on the tip of the Endura 4 is meant to make the tip sturdier'. Sturdier than what? Sturdier than Military? Hmm.....
Sal and physics say it's stronger than the previous Endura tips, which were pointy, like the tip on the Military. The drop means more meat at the tip, which is definitely stronger. This can be demonstrated with 2 popsicle sticks. Carve a point on the end of one, to mimic the sharper tips, and a point with a drop, to mimic the Endura. Pry and stab with them. The more acute tip will break first.

As for the comparison between models, I can't say.
anycal

Post by anycal »

^^ All else being equal, I 100% agree. Drop point will be stronger.

But Warstein was referencing two different knifes.
Peter
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endura.It can do everything the Military can,has a better lock and is lighter.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

spyderwolf wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:01 pm
Endura.It can do everything the Military can,has a better lock and is lighter.
I agree. That’s the conclusion I came to myself and why I went from the mili, to the endura and ultimately to the pacific salt.

I would say those are my top 3 so it was easy to include them. Although I prefer SE H1 and vg10 to the s30v for ease of sharpening. All personal preference. But if I was stuck with only one, I’d be happy with any of em!

P.s that’s the knife I voted on myself :cool: plus mine is orange so it’s easy to spot!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I voted for the Pacific Salt PE.

Why? Because it is light, tough, strong, completely impervious to the elements, and easily sharpened with the tools you will have.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

I picked the s30v military. I don't own one, but for the sake of this survey and your trip to the wilderness, I think you'll be hard to find a better "Do it all" knife and steel combo.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

:spyder: I agree with all of you. I picked these 5 cuz you can’t go wrong and I like all of em :spyder:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

The manix is an awesome knife for wilderness and really light weight.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

blendergasket wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:59 pm
The manix is an awesome knife for wilderness and really light weight.
Absolutely, I was kind of hoping y’all would send me out there with it!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

anycal wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am
I disagree.

May be specific to your knives? I own/have owned many enduras and mili’s and it’s obvious without calipers which one has a thicker tip.
Mili being the DLC and endura is... well... the thicker one.
Attachments
72AFFF22-07B7-453D-B219-5FDC2D5DF4C4.jpeg
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
anycal

Post by anycal »

Yep, 204P Military on the left, HAP40 Endura on the right.

The Military in your pic sure looks thin!

Peter