Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Post by JD Spydo »

Now unlike many of you I got my very first Spyder all the way back to the spring of 1995. It was a stainless handled, GIN-1 ( G-2), full SE MARINER model. At that time I wanted to try a premium quality serrated folder and two hunting buddies of mine at the time told me that Spyderco made a great serrated blade. I used that full SE "MARINER" model for a long time before I traded it. Since then I've used many of Spyderco's earlier models and thus I literally fell in love with most of the old school Spyders from what I affectionately call "The GOLDEN ERA Of SPYDERS (1998-2004). To me that is the time slot that most of the Spyderco "super classics came out of.

There were two of the older blade steels from that era that I liked then and I still like to this day. The first one that I still like to this day is ATS-55. I had at least 2 dozen of the older ATS-55 models over the years and I still own and use at least 6 of them to this day. ATS-55 is one of the few blade steels I liked in SE & PE both. Another older blade steel I liked out of that era and particular in SE was AUS-8. I still use my AUS-8 Catcherman full SE model at least 2 to 3 times a week and I wish I could find two more of those. That AUS-8 is a great blade steel and takes a really wicked edge for serrated kitchen knives especially.

Which of the older blade steels did you all like and which edge type did you have the best luck with? Also how did your favorite older blade steel compare to some of the newer blade steels of this era?
Sumdumguy

Re: Unpopular Blade Steels That You Like?

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly, you hit the nail on the head.

I really enjoyed SE GIN-1 on my old cricket, it was easy to make it SUPER SHARP. Didn't hold it long, but it was easy to take it back on the sharpmaker.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:24 am
Honestly, you hit the nail on the head.

I really enjoyed SE GIN-1 on my old cricket, it was easy to make it SUPER SHARP. Didn't hold it long, but it was easy to take it back on the sharpmaker.
I've said many times in the past that I've always liked GIN-1 for Spyderedge/serrated blades. I never could get GIN-1 to hold an edge on a plain edged blade at all>> but for serrated blades it was pretty tough for those types of cutting jobs. If I remember correctly Spyderco was still using it on some of their Japan made models up till around 2001 to 2002.
vivi

Post by vivi »

BD1.

It gets incredibly sharp effortlessly. Very high corrosion resistance. Edge holding is about even with VG10 for me. Works well at thin angles. Works well with both polished and toothy edges. Tough for a stainless.

It's one of my favorite steels. I'd love to see more Spydercos in it.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 am
BD1.

It gets incredibly sharp effortlessly. Very high corrosion resistance. Edge holding is about even with VG10 for me. Works well at thin angles. Works well with both polished and toothy edges. Tough for a stainless.

Vivi I've never got to try BDI. But I would love to try it in Spyderedge. Which models in SE is it available in?

Most of all I'm wanting for them to make a full SE Spyder in XHP.

Believe me folks trying a blade steel in SE is a completely different game all together. Also people can laugh all they want because I've found VG-10 to be great in both edge types ( SE & PE). I don't say that about many blade steels. But I would like to know more about BD1 >> and hopefully in SE
ferider

Post by ferider »

I love 440V on my Chinook 1. Hard to compare to anything newer as the knife's geometry is so unique.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I like the SE Gin-1 on my UKPK.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Vivi wrote:
BD1.

Yes! I only have it in the squarehead.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I do like the BD1 on my Manix LW, but edge holding isn't fantiastic. Easy to get super sharp though. I really like 440C even though that's generally considered bottom end now by many.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ferider wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 am
I love 440V on my Chinook 1. Hard to compare to anything newer as the knife's geometry is so unique.
Hey Dude!! you've got one of the very first ever made of the CHINOOK model>> they only made that one in 440V for about the first 6 months they were made. It wasn't long after that then all the GOLDEN made models went to S30V. For years I've wanted to see what a fully Serrated Chinook model would be like. Just like my full SE C-60 Ayoob model >> those blades with curve/belly seem to do better in SE.

But the old 440V was a good steel in a lot of the different older models. If I remember right that first run of the Chinook had a really handsome looking swedge on the spine part of the blade. It's been a long time since I seen one of the original, first run Chinook models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ez556 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am
I do like the BD1 on my Manix LW, but edge holding isn't fantiastic. Easy to get super sharp though. I really like 440C even though that's generally considered bottom end now by many.
Now that's what I've heard in the past about BD1. I've heard it isn't the best edge holding blade steel for plain edges. But again I would like to try it in Spyderedge if ever available. That's one of the main reasons I never bought that newer, second generation RONIN model.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Isn’t GIN-1 the same thing as BD1?

BD1 I like better than S110v because it is easier to sharpen and get along with.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

420HC on my gerber strongarm. No super edge retention, but it's got that great combo of tough and cheap that I like in an outdoor fixed blade: I know I can use it hard and not feel bad, and it'll stand up to the abuse. Easy to sharpen. I feel the same about 1095 on my ESEEs.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

S30V, because nobody thinks it's cool anymore! :p

But really, BD1..my Manix 2 LW and very first Spyderco knife! Dedicated camping knife, so easy to get back to razor sharp. Doesn't hold the super sharp edge long, but I don't mind spending 3 minutes touching it up.

I also don't mind 8cr in certain applications either, mainly for the same reasons as BD1. Chances are your only spending $60 or so max on a knife with this steel too.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

S30v
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Vivi wrote:
BD1.

I know bd1n isn't nearly as similar as the name implies - but how do they compare in the real world?
ferider

Post by ferider »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 am
If I remember right that first run of the Chinook had a really handsome looking swedge on the spine part of the blade. It's been a long time since I seen one of the original, first run Chinook models.
Thanks for the reply, JD. It's absolutely gorgeous :) I'll carry it the upcoming week-end and take some photos in the field for you :)

Speaking of unpopular old steels ... I don't mind 154CM. Wish Spyderco would make some CPM 154 knives, however.

Why I like it ? Because it's the only way (other than custom) to get a full SE on my favorite Spyderco. And, it's fairly easy to sharpen the teeth on that one:

Wear resistance is fine for a serrated edge.

Roland.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Does 14C28N count? Edge retention comparable to VG10 in my use and such an easy steel to keep shaving sharp. It's one of those steels you can just about keep sharp stropping on a bare leather belt.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

In the past few months I have renewed my love for 154cm and cpm 154. They're both fantastic. I guess cpm 154 is well loved if you look at the custom market. 154cm is just good all around. I like it more than s30v/s35vn honestly. CPM154 is even better and takes a really nice edge in my experience. I'd like to try a good custom in cpm154 and am planning on getting a custom fixed blade in it. Got a bos ht blade in it and that was fantastic though the knife had shortcomings (blade wrap)

I'm also a big fan of 12c27, 14c28n, etc.

A2 and o1 remain favorites though they've been superceded by 3v and 4v.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

AUS-8 for me. It takes a really nice edge quite easily, stays sharp longer than it should for how quickly it sharpens, it's fairly tough and more than stainless enough for me. Never used a Spyderco with AUS-8 though.

The steel is far less exciting than more modern powdered steels, but If I could have only 1 knife, it would probably be one with AUS-8 steel, since it's inexpensive, reliable, and works well for me.

Given options, I prefer more long-wearing steels, with better edge stability(although AUS-8 is still good), and higher carbide volumes.