Straight Spine Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
argyle1812

Straight Spine Stretch

Post by argyle1812 »

I just went in on the pre order for the Straight Spine Stretch. I am just curious what is the advantages/disadvantages of its blade shape vs the normal Stretch?
Enactive

Re: Straight Spine Stretch

Post by Enactive »

Yeah, I'm curious about it too. I love the Stretch 2 handle and blade shape. When I first read Sal's mention of these, I didn't think i wanted one. When I first saw the product photos I was more intrigued than I expected. I may pick one up.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Much more pointed tip for piercing, for one. And just my personal opinion, but I think it looks much better. I also think giving it a more PM2-style blade might broaden the appeal of the stretch model. I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Stretch 2 is ok for most uses, but it was designed to be a folding hunter, if I'm not mistaken. The straight spine offers a more utilitarian blade shape, that isn't necessarily as task specific as the standard version. To be clear, for the Stretch fans, I'm not saying it's a bad knife or that it can't be used for the mundane, daily cutting tasks.

Having said that, the Stretch 2 is growing on me, after initially disliking the model. The straight spine is going to make the knife a real pleasure to use.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
I dont think it is and heres why - A couple years ago Sal started a thread talking about honoring the loyal and long time contributors of this forum. His idea was to get input from these loyal members to create an ideal new model to their desired specs. The first member that Sal chose to honor was Paul, The Deacon! More information about this can be found in Sal's thread - "To Honor"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72546

I have a feeling that this Straight Spine Stretch is the result of Pauls input to Sal!

My question to Sal is - Is this the official "Deacon Stretch" ? :D
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm
Or, being neutral-handed, the “Deacon PM2”? :p
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm curious if this is a test run for a possible Stretch 3.
I dont think it is and heres why - A couple years ago Sal started a thread talking about honoring the loyal and long time contributors of this forum. His idea was to get input from these loyal members to create an ideal new model to their desired specs. The first member that Sal chose to honor was Paul, The Deacon! More information about this can be found in Sal's thread - "To Honor"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72546

I have a feeling that this Straight Spine Stretch is the result of Pauls input to Sal!

Oh how cool is that?! Definitely interested to see if Sal chimes in on this.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

It's a test piece,

sal
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ah, alright, thanks Sal!

Thought I might've been on to something there! :o LOL
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm
The Stretch 2 is ok for most uses, but it was designed to be a folding hunter, if I'm not mistaken. The straight spine offers a more utilitarian blade shape, that isn't necessarily as task specific as the standard version. To be clear, for the Stretch fans, I'm not saying it's a bad knife or that it can't be used for the mundane, daily cutting tasks.

Having said that, the Stretch 2 is growing on me, after initially disliking the model. The straight spine is going to make the knife a real pleasure to use.
I think you´re right in that as far as I know the "origin" of the Stretch actually was a Spydie called "Hunter" and the Stretch 1 and 2 most likely still are great hunting folders (from what I hear, I am no hunter myself).

But as far as I understand, Sal actually developed an (EDC?-) folder to meet his personal preferences (just) based on that original "Hunter"-model (which does NOT mean that the current Stretch 2 is not a great hunting folder STILL probably).

I have to say:
The straight spine Stretch (2) really looks great and I am very tempted to get one (and that despite I prefer the shorter closed size, longer edge and ergos of the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2)
Still, for me personally the "regular" Stretch blade shape is even MORE "utilitarian" than the straight spine version. In my personal "utilitarion" use, I prefer the a bit stronger tip (still acute enough, for being just very thin concerning blade stock at the tip). Plus, the "funky" shape of the "regular" Stretch blade with its "inward curve" gives the the thumb or index finger a unique and perfect spot to put on and push back against the spine in certain (by me) often used grip. I got very accustomed to that and like it a lot.

That being said: I really hope the straight spine Stretch will bring much more people to try and most likely appreciate this model. It has the same great ergos as the "regular" Stretch, and I am sure the rather unique very long totally straight section of edge that just towards the tip starts to curve and give you a good amount of belly there (I think most other Spydies (other than Wharnies), for example also the very similar sized PM2, have a more or less slight continous curve in the edge and very little to no totally straight edge).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Beeing ("just") a Sprint, I guess it won´t come in SE, but if it DID, I could not say "no"... :rolleyes:
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ferider

Post by ferider »

I immediately thought: oh, a backlock PM2. Which is not a bad thing ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 am
I immediately thought: oh, a backlock PM2. Which is not a bad thing ...
A backlock, FRN PM2... which is an even better thing... :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m finally interested in a Stretch. If I have the funds when it comes out I’ll get one of these.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:29 am
I’m finally interested in a Stretch. If I have the funds when it comes out I’ll get one of these.
Doc, for YOUR big hands the Stretch 2 handle of this model should be great (the Stretch 1 handle would most likely be not).
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good to know, thanks. The S1 did not fit me well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Post by Tims »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 pm
It's a test piece,

sal
I can see the more conventional blade shape of this run being a hit.

After years of overlooking the Stretch it’s become my daily carry. I’m really looking forward to this run. The ivory frn is a nice touch too.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:34 am
Good to know, thanks. The S1 did not fit me well.
I remember you saying, that while you lik the Manix 2 handle, you do not so much the Manix XL handle due to the "hook" at its handle rear end

It´s kind of the same with Stretch 2 vs Stretch 1 - hook way less prononunced on the Stretch 2.
Furthermore, as far as I remember (don´t have a "2" anymore, but three "1"s) the handle of the "2" is a bit longer generally anyway.

Plus, I seem to recall Sal himself stated that one point in creating the Stretch 2 was so that it would fit bigger hands better.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tims wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:38 am
sal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 pm
It's a test piece,

sal

I can see the more conventional blade shape of this run being a hit

After years of overlooking the Stretch it’s become my daily carry. I’m really looking forward to this run. The ivory frn is a nice touch too.
I really hope so. The Stretch deserves it!
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 am
Albatross wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm

I think you´re right in that as far as I know the "origin" of the Stretch actually was a Spydie called "Hunter" and the Stretch 1 and 2 most likely still are great hunting folders (from what I hear, I am no hunter myself).

But as far as I understand, Sal actually developed an (EDC?-) folder to meet his personal preferences (just) based on that original "Hunter"-model (which does NOT mean that the current Stretch 2 is not a great hunting folder STILL probably).

I have to say:
The straight spine Stretch (2) really looks great and I am very tempted to get one (and that despite I prefer the shorter closed size, longer edge and ergos of the Stretch 1 over the Stretch 2)
Still, for me personally the "regular" Stretch blade shape is even MORE "utilitarian" than the straight spine version. In my personal "utilitarion" use, I prefer the a bit stronger tip (still acute enough, for being just very thin concerning blade stock at the tip). Plus, the "funky" shape of the "regular" Stretch blade with its "inward curve" gives the the thumb or index finger a unique and perfect spot to put on and push back against the spine in certain (by me) often used grip. I got very accustomed to that and like it a lot.

That being said: I really hope the straight spine Stretch will bring much more people to try and most likely appreciate this model. It has the same great ergos as the "regular" Stretch, and I am sure the rather unique very long totally straight section of edge that just towards the tip starts to curve and give you a good amount of belly there (I think most other Spydies (other than Wharnies), for example also the very similar sized PM2, have a more or less slight continous curve in the edge and very little to no totally straight edge).
Thank you for the info. I read the description for the Stretch just now, and probably should have done that to begin with. :rolleyes:

The more stout tip can be useful, but for me, the Stretch 2 is too small to benefit from the added strength. My larger knives tend to get used harder, and would offer me more use, with a stout tip, than the Stretch 2 does. As you said, personal preference.