Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives...)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives...)

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Scotts thread about the One-eyed-Jack made me think about which of my Spyders I´d want to have back again first and implicitly, if I had lost or sold all I owned.

Developed a little mind-game, maybe some of you like to play it too and share... ;) Goes like this:

Phantasy knife world: You got caught carrying a counterfeit ( :eek: ), of course got convicted and the verdict of the court goes as follows:

- They take away ALL of your knives (Spyders, other brands, fixed blades,folders) you own of RIGHT NOW (when you read this post)
- You can get back ONE SPYDERCO-folder each two month, you may choose WHICH one (again: only SPYDERCO and only FOLDER!)
- You can choose out of ALL Spyderco folders you had at the time of the verdict but not one you did not own then or even never owned.
- You can keep all the folders you did choose (so you have one after two month, two after 4 month, 3 after 6 month...)
- You are NOT allowed to sell the knives you choose and buy another instead, in fact you are NOT allowed to buy or use any other knife at all for the whole year.
- After one year you get back ALL the knives they took from you

- So, summarizing: You can choose ONE Spyderco folder after two, another after four, another after six, eight and ten month - means after ten month you have five, and after twelve month you get all the knives back you had at the time of the verdict

How would that year look like, knowing that after it you´d get all your knives back anyway?
Which Spydies would you choose? And why ? Be it from a practical point of view, or cause you´re somehow "nostalgically attached"?

Here are my choices:

After two month: Endura 4 in HAP 40: Versatile blade length, great ergos and edge retention, does really anything I need for me, and is perfect when I have only ONE knife for the coming two month
After four month: Endela SE: I just love that knife and how it cuts with its rather thin serrated blade, despite being a little short for my taste. And I´d absolutely want a serrated blade additionally to the PE Endura
After six month: Chaparral FRN: After SIX month I´d be really missing the little Chap. I just admire its design and perfect, tight fit and finish. And though it could never be my main EDC for being so small, I like doing as many cutting tasks as possible with it, enjoying the exceptionally slicey blade
After eight month: Stretch 1 in VG10 : Eight month without a Stretch is hard to imagine... And if I had a serrated one, I´d probably choose it instead of the Endela SE after four month already. But having the longer, in that more versatile Endura blade and the Endela SE, the Stretch just had to wait...
After ten month: Endura 4 in VG 10 / custom Micarta scales: Love the feel of the knife in hand, and VG 10 is a joy to sharpen. Still, I had to choose my HAP 40 Endura first, just for its better edge retention
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danvp

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by Danvp »

The chance I will loose my knives due to a counterfeit is zero (I will never own one). Luckily you speak of a fantasy knifeworld.

The first two months I will feel naked without my Spydiefolders. How am I supposed to cut anything? Feels like a nightmare instead of a fantasy.

After two months I want my Spydiechef back. Finally I can cut my food again and do easy EDC tasks. Probably will fidget with it too.

After four months my Pacific Salt SE will be back in my rotation...Never mind that, I will be constantly carrying both.

After 6 months I add my Kapara. Just bought it and want to give it some use.

After eight, a small sheeple friendly dragonfly H1 SE will come back to me.

After 10 months, they will send me back my Paramilitary 20CV. Just because....

Did I already mention that I miss using my other knives? So many to enjoy. I also like using my fixed blades. A non-spydie being my favorite. Would have chosen the Waterway over the kapara when fixed blades were also allowed to get back.
Wartstein

Re: Another way to find out which of your Spyders you really need ;) (Phantasy-knife-world: Court took all your knives..

Post by Wartstein »

Danvp wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:33 am
The chance I will loose my knives due to a counterfeit is zero (I will never own one). Luckily you speak of a fantasy knifeworld.

The first two months I will feel naked without my Spydiefolders. How am I supposed to cut anything? Feels like a nightmare instead of a fantasy.

After two months I want my Spydiechef back. Finally I can cut my food again and do easy EDC tasks. Probably will fidget with it too.

After four months my Pacific Salt SE will be back in my rotation...Never mind that, I will be constantly carrying both.

After 6 months I add my Kapara. Just bought it and want to give it some use.

After eight, a small sheeple friendly dragonfly H1 SE will come back to me.

After 10 months, they will send me back my Paramilitary 20CV. Just because....

Did I already mention that I miss using my other knives? So many to enjoy. I also like using my fixed blades. A non-spydie being my favorite. Would have chosen the Waterway over the kapara when fixed blades were also allowed to get back.

Thanks for sharing! :) / Concerning the verdict for carrying a counterfeit: Yes, I know... just had to find someting really mean that justifys such a massive punishment... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

In order
Para 3 m390
Lil native compression lock
Dice
Para 3 s35vn
Manix 2 20cv
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:39 am
In order
Para 3 m390
Lil native compression lock
Dice
Para 3 s35vn
Manix 2 20cv
Thanks for playing the "mind game" and sharing!! :)

Out of your list, I personally would have chosen the Manix first and not last. That´s just cause I´d go for a longer (and in my use more versatile) blade for the knife that would be my only one for two month
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Whilst hoping this is all a bad dream :eek:
First, Stretch 2.
Second, Chaparral lightweight.
Third, 'Jazz'lica
Fourth, Sliverax.
Fifth, Dragonfly H1 SE
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I carry my para 3 and lil native daily. I have made many mods on my lil native and removed the clip. I'll be doing a review of its changes soon almost done with it.

Pm2 s are too big for me.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:35 am
Whilst hoping this is all a bad dream :eek:
First, Stretch 2.
Second, Chaparral lightweight.
Third, 'Jazz'lica
Fourth, Sliverax.
Fifth, Dragonfly H1 SE
Great choices, especially the first three...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:48 am
I carry my para 3 and lil native daily. I have made many mods on my lil native and removed the clip. I'll be doing a review of its changes soon almost done with it.

Pm2 s are too big for me.
Really looking forward to your review!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

This is hard. There are so many to choose from, and I don't even have my GB Advocate yet (arrives later today) so I can't know how it would've impacted these choices...alas - in order:

* Cruwear Delica
* Cruwear Para 3
* CTS-204P Domino
* M4 Military
* Cruwear Native 5
--Jeremy
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

• Caribbean Leaf PE
• Baby Horn
• Jester
• Mantra 1
• Caly 3.5 SB

The GB Advocate may displace one of these, it arrives today!

Now, because I like the game and breaking the rules, here's my list of fixed blades.

• Micarta Street Beat
• Mule Team LC200N
• Province
• Swick 5 LC200N
• Rock Salt LC200N ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wow, hard choices on this forum lately! I'd probably have to pick:

2 months: cruwear delica
4 months: s30v dragonfly (or df salt, my punishers can pick since I can't)
6 months: Smock, 'cause man I reeeealy miss it by now
8 months: Cruwear Manix 2, and they better give me back the micarta scales with it
10 months: rex45 para 3 for the sake of variety

If this were to actually happen, I'd probably have to sub a fixed blade in there somewhere, too. My Junction, probably.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Gayle Bradley 1

PM 2 in M4 jade

Pacific salt H1

Outside the rules - I would want my Burt Foster Talon EDC fixed blade back first
C4931A61-14C5-429A-B8CB-79F7B942038E.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

What a nightmare to think of! After just the other day I posted how I really LOVE my collection of 17 Spyderco's right now. I've sold and bought many, and what I have now is the happiest I've ever been with my collection. So this is tough!

* Manix 2 Cruwear with CF scales (my favorite model, a favorite steel, favorite scales) Yea...this has to be it, capable of pretty much everything.

* Smock - Ohhh how I've missed you my sweet!! You're slim profile, unique blade, easy to sharpen S30V, and even the fidget factor!

* HH UKPK - Your beautiful design, amazing ergos, lightweight with a wire clip. It's great to have you back.

* St Nicks Shaman 4V - How I've missed you ya beast! Your DLC, deep red contoured scales, fantastic ergos, a true workhorse knife.

* Vtoku 2 Dragonfly - My favorite lil fella!! Easy to sharpen, awesome patina, small and discreet.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Stripped of sentimental and otherwise irrational attachments, here are the Spydies I would reclaim:

At 2 months, my SE Pacific Salt (an environmentally-carefree do-all carry).

At 4 months, my Lil’ Native (a Boston-friendly carry).

At 6 months, my Shaman (a Manix2-PM2 stand-in); I’d take my S90V.

At 8 months, my Chaparral (a serious slicer).

At 10 months, my Stretch2 (the reigning champion of CQI); I’d take my VG10.

And at 12 months, my Military (the reigning champion of getting it right the first time); I’d take my Rex45. Oops!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:15 am
What a nightmare to think of! After just the other day I posted how I really LOVE my collection of 17 Spyderco's right now. I've sold and bought many, and what I have now is the happiest I've ever been with my collection. So this is tough!

* Manix 2 Cruwear with CF scales (my favorite model, a favorite steel, favorite scales) Yea...this has to be it, capable of pretty much everything.

* Smock - Ohhh how I've missed you my sweet!! You're slim profile, unique blade, easy to sharpen S30V, and even the fidget factor!

* HH UKPK - Your beautiful design, amazing ergos, lightweight with a wire clip. It's great to have you back.

* St Nicks Shaman 4V - How I've missed you ya beast! Your DLC, deep red contoured scales, fantastic ergos, a true workhorse knife.

* Vtoku 2 Dragonfly - My favorite lil fella!! Easy to sharpen, awesome patina, small and discreet.
Now that's an emotional reply, I like that! :)

If one REALLY tries to imagine the scenario I described to be real: Which forum member would NOT get emotional, starting by having no knife at all for two month, and than comes the day you get the first one back... ;)

It's just a crazy mind game, but thinking it through really made me look from yet another perspektive at my collection, what properties in my knives I really need and want, by which models those are covered best and so on...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’d get with my attorney and set up a deal for “gimme my SE pac salt back now and you can keep the rest”
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Para 2 (CTS 20CP because I like the grey scales)

Cricket (Stainless framelock, SE)

Caly 3.5 (Super Blue)

Persian (Red G-10 Sprint)

[edit: corrected Carpenter steel designation]
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

1. Autonomy 2 - honestly the only knife I'd really need.
2. Pacific Salt SE - important to get my serrated blade back.
3. Native 5 Maxamet - good design, tough and lightweight, plus I love that Maxamet steel.
4. Police 4 - elegant slicey beast of a knife that carries extraordinarily well for its size
5. Advocate - a beautiful work of functional art. Just downright fun to own
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

2. Slsyz Bowie
4. Spydiechef
6. Advocate
8. Wharncliffe Delica SE
10. Chap lw
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!