So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
npad69

Re: So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Post by npad69 »

For this survey, instead of choosing the type of steels, I will choose the best steel for my top 3 categories of using a blade:

Stainless: LC200n
I prefer this fpr my EDC folders. I cut food and food-packaging a lot so for me it makes everything worry and maintenance-free. I prefer plain edges so this blows H1 out of the water (literally).

Semi-stainless: Cruwear
For my hard-use blades. Keeps edge for a long time for my uses at least. Extremely tough and has excellent corrosion resistance.

Tool: HAP40 (cladded)
I definitely love this for my kitchen blades. Remains sharp for a long long time and very easy to get it stupid sharp again using the brown and fine SM stones. I find it also tough enough to handle boning jobs. I take good care of my kitchen knives like wash and dry them immediately after using so it doesn't matter if it stains easily.

Honorable mention:
If forced to choose just one, it'll probably be CTS-XHP
Even if it dosn't excel in any of the qualities I mentioned above but its the best "all-arounder" for me at least.
Last edited by npad69 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Serrated H-1 tough and rust proof
Cts-xhp
Vg-10
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cruwear
4V
O1 or 52100 In my uses they are very similar, I.O.W., easy sharpening, good edge stability and used in platforms that are accessible and useful to me.

Steels are all a compromise of attributes. These fit my needs and use. It's not an emotion based decision. These are not the only steels I like or use but I'd say the most common. K390, 10V, Hap 40, CPM M4, and Rex 45 are all excellent. Super Blue would be #4 if Sal called for that.
Last edited by The Mastiff on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

1. Cruwear - should be a production steel for all flagship Golden and Seki knives

2. LC200N - anxiously awaiting FFG LC200N salts

3. 3V - still waiting on some 3V folder exclusives
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I will pick steels that are somewhat readily available:
1. M4
2. S110V
3. S3V

I like M4 because I like the concept of carbon steel. For me it is easy to sharpen and holds an edge very well. I think of it as being tough although maybe it isn't as tough as I like to think. I have this steel in Military, PM2 (3 of them) and Manix 2.
I like S110V for edge-holding. I have it in PM2, Manix 2 and Mule.
I like S3V for toughness. I do have one fixed blade in S3V, which I have not used hard enough to prove the steel. I have Cruwear in Manix2 and Military, which is in the S3V ballpark. I also have 4V in a Mule.
James Y

Post by James Y »

LC200N. Almost rustproof, fairly tough, takes and holds an edge nicely, and resharpens very easily. I want to see more and more Salt models in this steel.

VG-10. Takes an edge easily, holds it a decent amount of time, better-than-average corrosion resistance, and easy to resharpen.

S35VN. Takes and holds a good edge, fairly easy to resharpen, fair corrosion resistance, and seems pretty tough.

Jim
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

M4 - sharpens up easily and holds a great edge

Damascus - okay, technically not a specific steel, but more of a process. I like the way it looks. Maybe not the best qualifier for picking a blade, but hey, I like it anyway.

SE H1 - super low maintenance, edge cuts forever, and I don't have to worry about cleaning it off right away. I haven't used LC200N enough to make a judgement call on it, but I suspect it would take this slot away from H1 with similar ease of use, but better PE holding properties.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

SE H1. SE is tough, rust proof, easy to touch up/sharpen, great for outdoors and indoors, can handle cleaning neglect if outdoors for long periods of time..Note, LC200N PE may give this a serious run for the money for my uses, if offered in similar knives I currently use.

ZDP189, holds a very sharp edge a long time, my favorite for dragonfly. Personally do not have enough time and experience with other great edge retention steels to compare.

Third was a tough choice. I would say cts-xhp, based on experience with the chaparral. I have come to use it more than the knives/steels that are close or in the running. Could be just the thin blade, too, but it does hold up well.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

S35vn- great all around steel
Rex45, K390, or 52100 jury is still out for my favorite non stainless.

H1- Pacific Salt just does it!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Hap 40/Rex 45: Probably my favorite EDC steel. Takes a very nice edge and has some of the best edge retention. I actually prefer the cladded Hap40 over the Rex 45 so far.

Aogami Super Blue: Takes a super fine edge.

O1: My only experience with this has been in the Bushcraft, but I find it takes a really keen edge and retains that edge better than other fixed blade steels.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Only 3 steels, there is a lot of overlap with steels that have the same or close to the same attributes.

S30V - Great all around stainless steel with good edge holding and enough toughness to get the job done for just about anything. (S35VN, M390, CPM 154, and ELMAX also fit into this range)

A11 (In general) - Great to excellent edge holding and very good strength for fixed blades, hunting knives, utility etc.

4V - One of the new kids on the block, but it has already established itself in Blade Sports as one of the top steel choices. Excellent for larger field knives that will see a lot of hard use.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Vancron Superclean. A11 wear resistance with more strength, stability and sharpenablity with a wider range of edge finish options.

CPM 15v. High working hardness with special HT. Just under Rex 121 in edge holding but more than Maxamet.
Takes a very aggressive edge. Finer structured than Rex121, with harder carbides at more volume than Maxamet.

Nitrobe77, a sharpeners dream steel. Takes a wonderful edge, apexs like a champion and very stainless.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am
Vancron Superclean. A11 wear resistance with more strength, stability and sharpenablity with a wider range of edge finish options.

CPM 15v. High working hardness with special HT. Just under Rex 121 in edge holding but more than Maxamet.
Takes a very aggressive edge. Finer structured than Rex121, with harder carbides at more volume than Maxamet.

Nitrobe77, a sharpeners dream steel. Takes a wonderful edge, apexs like a champion and very stainless.
I can tell (and yes, was aware of that before) you´re a pro... ;) three "steels" I probably never heard of
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

VG-10
H1
CPM S30V

...what I have the most of.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Cruwear / PD#1 - most balanced steel for my needs, and I have it in all of my favorite models. Sharpens easily, holds edge well, tough.

M390 / 204P / 20CV Family - very stainless option, excellent edge retention, sharpens easily.

52100 (or Super Blue) - I love the edge this steel can easily take, and greatly enjoy the patina that develops.

Honorable mention... CTS-XHP - Probably best all around.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

In no particular order:
XHP, straightforward to sharpen, holds an edge well.
H1, durable, can be used in any adverse environment, easy to bring back to a fine edge on the Sharpmaker and in SE just keeps on cutting.
BD-1, a no nonsense stainless that achieves a happy balance between edge durability and sharpenability.

VG-10 deserves an honorary mention too.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Cruwear
S110V
H1 SE

I am looking forward for CPM 15v from Spyderco
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:32 am

3 incredible steels right there. Maybe one day I'll get to try them!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I really love 10v. I didn't list it because I only have one, the K2. And one custom Big Chris fixed blade.

More 10v please!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

5-by-5 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:02 am
I really love 10v. I didn't list it because I only have one, the K2. And one custom Big Chris fixed blade.

More 10v please!
10v and K390 are very similar. Have you compared them? I have a Big Chris in 10v and it's performance is very similar to my k390 mule.