So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ferider

Re: So what's your top 3 favorite steels? and why?

Post by ferider »

1) CPM Cruwear
2) PD#1
3) 3V

Honorable mention goes to S110V, when I want rust-proof. Much prefer it over LC200N for that application. My "beach knife" is a Ti S110V Military - not much that can rust on that one.

If I count the steel that I use most, it's M390/20CV/204p, simply because of availability for some knives, and its harder/tougher than s35vn, which often is the alternative for other brands.

I wish I could try a CPM 154 Spyderco, but there is none :(

Why ? (1) I don't like chips; (2) CW and 3V is corrosion resistant enough for my applications, also in the kitchen, (3) Not sure why, but Cruwear edges for me last forever.

Roland.
Last edited by ferider on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

M4 (in GB1, Air, Manix2, PM2, Shaman)
K390 (in Police4, Urban)
S90V (in Manix2 XL, Native5, Shaman)

Each takes an aggressive edge with just a little effort on the brown stuff, and can cut without undue fracturing. Were I spending appreciable time in the woods or garden, I’d likely go for something tougher... indeed, my SE SpyderHawk Salt and I are soon to tear down the garden for Winter.

I reserve judgment on ZDP189, Cruwear, 52100, and Rex45 until I can try them in two different Spydie models. And I still have no 3V, 4V, Maxamet, HAP40, or V-Toku2 to try.

I hasten to add, if I could have only one Spydie in the relatively more balanced VG10 or S30V, or in semi-magical LC200N, or in the magical SE H1, you would not hear me complain.

EDIT: Added my reasons, other pertinent info, and refinements in my thinking.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Cruwear
M4
XHP
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ferider wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:12 am
Roland, check out the Respect.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... spect/1206
ferider

Post by ferider »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:21 am
ferider wrote:
I know .... I'll get one when I retire from California to WY, in a few years :)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ferider wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:23 am
Enactive wrote:
ferider wrote:
:cool:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ferider wrote:
=I wish I could try a CPM 154 Spyderco, but there is none :(
Except the Respect. Was there a Mule? RWL34 is supposed to be pretty much the same, and I've had good experiences with that Mule.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Vanax - (Favorite balance of properties in a stainless) Because it holds an edge far better than S30V while also being a lot tougher, which allows for thinner geometry. It's also easier to sharpen than S30V and it's more corrosion resistant than LC200N. For EDC and certain outdoor use knives I think Vanax has a nearly perfect balance of attributes that no other steel offers. Extreme high cost and limited availability is a big problem however.

K390 - (Favorite edge!) The edge that this steel can produce and hold is awesome. The combination of high hardness, high vanadium content, high wear resistance and decent toughness combine to create a knife that can have aggressive cutting geometry. As well, the edge itself that you can get from this steel is incredible. It's an ideal non-stainless hunting/skinning steel among other uses. I would also love it if all my kitchen knives were K390 for that matter.

V4E / CPM 4V - (Favorite balance of properties in a tool steel) For me this steel strikes a sweet balance between hardness and toughness. Thanks to it's capability to achieve fairly high hardness it has wear resistance that is very suitable for all sizes of high-end pocket knives. Moreover, it's substantial toughness (especially within the context of it's hardness) expands the usability of this steel considerably. This steel is my go-to choice for many 3" - 6" fixed blade knife designs as well. It makes an ideal steel for a hard-use EDC, a camp knife or a forest/woods knife for instance. It can excel in designs that are intended to be spine whacked and batoned, yet it will stay sharp for a very long time. This is another steel that can allow for more aggressive cutting geometry while still maintaining the desired degree of toughness for the design application.
Last edited by Xplorer on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

1) M4
2) M4
3) M4

A M4 fixed blade spyderco is my Grail.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

5160 - Because I do work in the backyard that involves wood processing, and I can touch up this steel easily with only sandpaper and a mouse pad

CTS-XHP - Because I can put a keen edge on it with less effort than other stainless steels that I've tried

VG-10 - I recently got interested in Spyderco fixed blades, and the Enuff and Street Beat in VG-10 proved to be capable work companions
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

K390 because it holds an edge very well and is pretty tough. I like the way it sharpens and its general behavior.
VG-10 because it is relatively good in corrosion resistance, sharpens easily, and holds its sharpness well enough. This might get replaced by BD1N when I have a chance to get familiar with it.
H1 because it is tough, sharpens easily, and has decent to stellar (pe or se) edge holding, and will not rust.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ferider wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:23 am
Enactive wrote:
ferider wrote:
It's kind of lousy being a knife guy in the PRC. Visiting there regularly gives me a good excuse to buy smaller folders, though. :)
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

M390, 10v/k390, hap40
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Cruwear
Superblue
H1

I love the edge cruwear can take and even though it is not a stainless, it is fairly resistant to staining. I love how superblue patinas and of course the crazy edge you can get with little effort. H1 is a must for me living in humid Florida and being in the outdoors.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I like VG-10, AEBL, and S30V (52100 is an honorable mention). I wish I had more experience with the cladded Japanese steels (especially those which respond well to traditional water stones). Would Spyderco be interested in creating their own steel? I believe that Larrin is doing something like that, and wondered why we don't see more of this. I'm guessing cost (including R&D) and producing the right quantities are the biggest reasons.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

S90V - Stainless, Holds an edge for a long time. Looks beautiful with Spyderco treatment. Nice and shiny.
S110V - Stainless, Holds and edge for a long time.
S30V - Stainless, Easiest of the three to sharpen.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

redman73 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 am
I've been lurking on here for a long time, I figured I'd make this my first post:
Welcome to (posting on) the forum!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I have a lot of knives, mostly spydercos for folders, and lots of spyderco steels. But I find myself always coming back the same steels (and models).
1. Cruwear. Holds an edge reasonably well, but easy to sharpen, tough, reasonably stainless. If I only had one option, I'd be happy with this one.
2. S90V... still. It is low maintenance, high edge holding. Just keeps cutting. Sharpens easy enough with the right stones. Again, if this was the only option, I would be content.
3. 4V... a little more attention to prevent rust. Holds an edge great, very tough. I want more models in 4V!
3. M4... I have always been a fan of M4 and still am. I might prefer 4V over M4, but only narrowly.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

S90V

M4

Cruwear, more please
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

Hi Sal, a good question and was thinking the other day that with so many good steels available now if I had to pick only 3 to work with what would they be?

For the long edge holding on hunting and utility I would go with one of the A11's and right now K390 since that is what I am set up for.

CPM S90V for the stainless category and for the same use above. Pretty much know it in and out now and have confidence with it knowing it has the corrosion resistance for almost all applications and is ductile enough to take a thin edge and hold it long enough to complete jobs in the field before needing touch up.

CPM 154 for fillet, bird and trout, and general use. It is stainless enough for use around salt water, ductile for flexibility on thin fillet knives and is a pleasure to work with. At higher hardness, 62 or so it also serves very nice as a utility hunter, utility.

There are many others that overlap and will come close to the same performance for the same duty as above but you said I could have only 3
Phil