Very Sharp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Very Sharp

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:40 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:40 am
daddyflea wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am
Update I should get a Spydercon Folder today with CPM110V steel so I will try it and see if it holds an edge better than my Custom D2 knife. Last Friday night I gutted 14 hogs and my D2 gave out at 12, I only takes about 5 minutes to bring it back at home but late at night covered in blood, knife sharpening is not very pleasant. I have another custom in CPMs35vn that I carry as a backup but it is not really big enough for the task. I also carry a folder in s35vn that use for punching holes in the jaw to attach a hook that is used to winch them up for loading and or Gutting. So in short I carry 3 knives each trip. The two customs must be razor sharp. The jaw puncher not so much but it is nice.

If you have the means, I'd look into what Shawn Houston (aka Deadboxhero here on the forum) can do for you. He is a custom knife maker who specializes in thinly ground, high performance fixed blades, and he works with a lot of high vanadium, high hardness steels.
Good advice, but Shawn would probably send him an absolute laser in the form of a blade with box cutter geometry with a fixed handle on it with a bte measurement so thin that he couldn't tap a bone without getting edge damage.
Yeah but it would be so sharp, you'd just have to wave it at the hog carcass and the job would be done. No need to get it close to any bones. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Good advice, but Shawn would probably send him an absolute laser in the form of a blade with box cutter geometry with a fixed handle on it with a bte measurement so thin that he couldn't tap a bone without getting edge damage.
I don't know Hitch, our Shawn is a clever cookie and I'm tipping he could put together something that was stupid thin behind the edge and still hold together. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:10 pm
Pelagic wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:40 am
daddyflea wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 am
Update I should get a Spydercon Folder today with CPM110V steel so I will try it and see if it holds an edge better than my Custom D2 knife. Last Friday night I gutted 14 hogs and my D2 gave out at 12, I only takes about 5 minutes to bring it back at home but late at night covered in blood, knife sharpening is not very pleasant. I have another custom in CPMs35vn that I carry as a backup but it is not really big enough for the task. I also carry a folder in s35vn that use for punching holes in the jaw to attach a hook that is used to winch them up for loading and or Gutting. So in short I carry 3 knives each trip. The two customs must be razor sharp. The jaw puncher not so much but it is nice.

If you have the means, I'd look into what Shawn Houston (aka Deadboxhero here on the forum) can do for you. He is a custom knife maker who specializes in thinly ground, high performance fixed blades, and he works with a lot of high vanadium, high hardness steels.
Yeah but it would be so sharp, you'd just have to wave it at the hog carcass and the job would be done. No need to get it close to any bones. :D
That's honestly only a mild exaggeration, haha. Point taken.

Yeah Bloke, at least Shawn uses extremely strong/stable steels when he does his laserlike grinds.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For that type of a cutting job a Spyderco "Southfork" with S90V would be great if you could still find one. But mainly find one with the type of design that would work well with your style of cutting. You really can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's fixed blades. Heck an old TEMPERANCE 1 model would even be good for that type of job.
daddyflea

Post by daddyflea »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:34 am
For that type of a cutting job a Spyderco "Southfork" with S90V would be great if you could still find one. But mainly find one with the type of design that would work well with your style of cutting. You really can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's fixed blades. Heck an old TEMPERANCE 1 model would even be good for that type of job.
The Southfork is exactly what I was looking for. Why is it the best designs with the good steel are all discontinued.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Justin