Police 4 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mayong

Re: Police 4 LW

Post by mayong »

Mine just came in the mail today. Out of the box, and straight into lunch!

Police | Calypso | Caly 3 & 3.5 | PM 2 | Para 3 | UKPK | Endura | Dragonfly | Sage 2 | Sage 5

"While this test doesn't simulate any logical use of a knife as a tool, since it was a concern of some of our customers, we began incorporating it into our testing protocols." - Michael Janich
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dangerous thread.. ;)

I don´t want to want one, but I want one... :o :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
NWPilgrim

Post by NWPilgrim »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:44 am
Dangerous thread.. ;)

Haha! So true. As soon as the LW comes out in SE, I am jumping on it!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Dangerous thread.. ;)

Did not think of SE myself till I read your post... but, man, now I want one even more despite I don´t want to want one... :D
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NWPilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Dangerous thread.. ;)

...and now it´s in the new "byte".. that does not exactly make me wanting it less... :rolleyes:
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Wartstein wrote:
Dangerous thread.. ;)

I'm in the same boat.. I dont want one either, but I really want one.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Police squad gathered :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I agree, the SE version may have my spydie sense tingling again.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I read somewhere the Police 4 was on the 2019 discontinued list... Does this refer to the older Police 4 only?
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Yes, the G10 with k390.
Eric told me at the Amsterdam meet this year that he is thinking of a k390 version of de police 4 LW. Don’t know if it will ever be made. Guess it depends on sales of the LW.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Danvp wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 am
Yes, the G10 with k390.
Eric told me at the Amsterdam meet this year that he is thinking of a k390 version of de police 4 LW. Don’t know if it will ever be made. Guess it depends on sales of the LW.

Thanks.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Danvp wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 am
Yes, the G10 with k390.
Yes, Sal has mentioned a K390 P4 LW on the forum. If the VG10 P4 LW sells well enough, we will see a zdp-189 version and a K390 version. But again, the FRN base model needs to sell enough to make a K390(and Zdp-189) P4.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I just received my P4 LWT, and it is excellent. It feels more comfortable in hand than the Endura 4. If there were one thing I would change about it, it’s that I would have moved the flat logo section on the handle a bit closer to the butt end. The knife clips on smoothly, it because the clip contact point partially contacts some of the texturing, when pulling it out of pocket, it sometimes grabs a little roughly before coming off. But that’s minor. IMO, Spyderco has hit a home run with this LWT model.

Jim
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

James Y wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:41 pm
I just received my P4 LWT, and it is excellent. It feels more comfortable in hand than the Endura 4. If there were one thing I would change about it, it’s that I would have moved the flat logo section on the handle a bit closer to the butt end. The knife clips on smoothly, it because the clip contact point partially contacts some of the texturing, when pulling it out of pocket, it sometimes grabs a little roughly before coming off. But that’s minor. IMO, Spyderco has hit a home run with this LWT model.

Jim
I agree with this, a longer clip may be a simple solution. I switched the clip to tip down carry and found the flat contact point is about a quarter inch closer to the pivot end clip screws. The clip has a better purchase on the flat in the tip down position. Tip down carry reduced the drag in and out of the pocket, but that style of carry required me to make grip adjustments which were foreign to my habits, so I switched the clip back to the tip up carry.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

James Y wrote:

Jim
The P4 lightweight ain’t the only FRN model afflicted with that issue (if you can call it that)

I don’t have one.... yet! I’m anxiously waiting on the SE version
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Can someone post a pic looking down on the blade from above, similar to this angle - showing the blade to scale ratio? Not a deciding factor... just curious. No lanyard hole does not bother me as I never use those. October is around the corner and a P4 LW seems to be in the cards.

:)

James Y

Post by James Y »

kwselke wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:59 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
I agree with this, a longer clip may be a simple solution. I switched the clip to tip down carry and found the flat contact point is about a quarter inch closer to the pivot end clip screws. The clip has a better purchase on the flat in the tip down position. Tip down carry reduced the drag in and out of the pocket, but that style of carry required me to make grip adjustments which were foreign to my habits, so I switched the clip back to the tip up carry.
Thanks! I don’t know why I didn’t think of just switching the clip position. I’ve switched it to tip-down, and now it’s smooth in and out of pocket. Although a I would have preferred it tip-up, I’m okay with it this way, if it’ll reduce wear on my pockets. The only other knives I’m okay with tip-down carry are my Military and SS Police, neither of which allows for tip-up carry (my SS Police is an older model; I don’t know if tip-up carry has become an option on the newer ones or not).

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:51 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
The P4 lightweight ain’t the only FRN model afflicted with that issue (if you can call it that)

The other model I have that was really bad in that respect is my Native 5 LWT. That one is a pocket eater, and if I carry it at all, I just drop it down into the pocket without using the clip.

If/when Spyderco comes out with an SE version of the P4 LWT, it’ll be an absolute beast.

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:25 am
prndltech wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:51 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

The other model I have that was really bad in that respect is my Native 5 LWT. That one is a pocket eater, and if I carry it at all, I just drop it down into the pocket without using the clip.

If/when Spyderco comes out with an SE version of the P4 LWT, it’ll be an absolute beast.

Jim
That’s the model in particular I was thinking of when I said that!

I know... I can’t wait for that beast!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

My P4 LW arrived yesterday. I like it. Like mentioned above it does catch on my pocket in the tip up position. So I put my lanyard on the clip and this fixed it for me. Now it pulls out nicely and gives me good retention on the knife. Definitely going to use the crap out this knife.