CRUWEAR for all!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

CRUWEAR for all!

Post by steelcity16 »

There are 5 threads on page one with CRUWEAR in the title (well 6 now with this one!). It is constantly at the top of polls. Why can't we get this as a production steel? Does anyone actually buy S110V anymore? I would love to see the Blurple knives be "CQI'd" from S110V to CRUWEAR in the same way that BD1 is being replaced with BD1N. S110V will still be around for use in Sprints/Exclusives if the masses really start begging for it again in the future, and I am sure the current stock of S110V blades will be around for awhile, so why the heck not!

I was also VERY excited to see the Cruwear Delica this year and it has been in my pocket the most of any knife since I got it. I would love to see CRUWEAR replace ZDP-189 in the BRG scaled Seki knives as well if that is an option. You don't hear much about ZDP these days either.

All for CRUWEAR and CRUWEAR for all! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Albatross

Re: CRUWEAR for all!

Post by Albatross »

I think you'll find that a lot of us like steels with high wear resistance. Adding Cruwear to the regular production line would be better than replacing steels that many people love.
Last edited by Albatross on Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yeah, I feel like there's room in the lineup for both a high-wear resistant stainless like s110v (although it's not something I use) and a more balanced tougher non-stainless steel like Cruwear. Of course I have no idea if the actual sales numbers support my opinion. :p I think it'd be cool to see a range of choices in production models, something like lc200n, cruwear, and s90v.

Edit: I'd also still stick s30v or s35vn in there. Asking too much? ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

+1 for Cruwear in regular production models. It is a well balanced steel imo.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:12 pm
I would love to see CRUWEAR replace ZDP-189 in the BRG scaled Seki knives as well
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Albatross wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:30 pm
I think you'll find that a lot of us like steels with high wear resistance. Adding Cruwear to the regular production line would be better than replacing steels that many people love.
Yep. While I like cruwear more than S110V, I carry s110v more. I wish wear resistance wasn't so convenient for my lifestyle, but it is.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
I would love to see CRUWEAR replace ZDP-189 in the BRG scaled Seki knives as well
Priceless gif.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

OMG, I literally LOL's when I read this, "I would love to see the Blurple knives be "CQI'd" from S110V to CRUWEAR"....But I agree :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'd rather see blurple CQI'd out altogether. It's purple. Didn't stop me from buying models in S110V but it's far from my favorite color for a knife.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’m glad I’m not alone. I actually joined here to inquire about Cruwear para 3’s, it’s at the top of my knife wishlist(from any brand).
More Cruwear would be great, and extremely cool as a production model steel. Spyderco could even offer a coated model on the bigger knives for those who need the extra corrosion resistance.

That said, I’d hate to see it bump ZDP-189. I know ZDP-189 is “old hat” that nobody really talks about anymore, but that’s one **** of a steel.
I’d like to think they can happily co-exist side by side.

(Come to think of it, I’d snap up a ZDP-189 para 3 in a heartbeat).
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I have said for a couple of years now that I think that Cruwear would fit nicely in the regular production lineup. I think there is room for all three...s30v, s110v and Cruwear. That would give the ELU a lot of performance choices and I think all of them are different enough that they could co-exist as regular production without cannibalizing sales from each other.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

steelcity16 wrote:
There are 5 threads on page one with CRUWEAR in the title (well 6 now with this one!). It is constantly at the top of polls. Why can't we get this as a production steel? Does anyone actually buy S110V anymore? I would love to see the Blurple knives be "CQI'd" from S110V to CRUWEAR in the same way that BD1 is being replaced with BD1N. S110V will still be around for use in Sprints/Exclusives if the masses really start begging for it again in the future, and I am sure the current stock of S110V blades will be around for awhile, so why the heck not!

I was also VERY excited to see the Cruwear Delica this year and it has been in my pocket the most of any knife since I got it. I would love to see CRUWEAR replace ZDP-189 in the BRG scaled Seki knives as well if that is an option. You don't hear much about ZDP these days either.

All for CRUWEAR and CRUWEAR for all! :D
I like S110V and ZDP-189. I have knives in both and wish that I had more. As stated before, don't be a hater. I'm for moving Cruwear in to a position where it is used more, but not to replace excellent steels. S90V and Maxamet are excellent steels too.

I'd also rather have more stainless options than fewer too.

M390 might be good on a Street Beat. I'd love to see it happen. There are companies releasing knives larger than folders in M390.

It must be too expensive to make some of these sprint runs PERMANENT. I'd have liked to obtain a Shaman in S90V, but I never have money for these sprint runs, and they are really ridiculous, because they target the same 2000 Spyderco fanatics who then put them in a shoe-box in a closet to never be seen again. I don't know how many times I've asked for a Spyderco Custom Shop where we could order knives in specialized steels and handles. Others do it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 pm
I have said for a couple of years now that I think that Cruwear would fit nicely in the regular production lineup. I think there is room for all three...s30v, s110v and Cruwear. That would give the ELU a lot of performance choices and I think all of them are different enough that they could co-exist as regular production without cannibalizing sales from each other.
I agree. Bring cruwear to the masses
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm
It must be too expensive to make some of these sprint runs PERMANENT.
If a sprint is "PERMANENT" then isn't it just another regular production knife?

So get rid of all sprints? Make everything regular production? I suppose that could could be done but sounds kind of boring to me.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've a cru wear pm2 that I like pretty well, but I need to try it in something more substantial, I decided. I sang it's praises at first becaise I like how it sharpens, but I really need to try it in a fixed blade.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
foofie

Post by foofie »

I just finished posting in the "3 favorite steels" thread -
#1 was s110v, #3 was ZDP. Chuckled when I read OP. Just shows you there are very different tastes, wants, and needs.
And I agree with above - room in the line-up to make everyone happy. That is one of the joys of Spyderco :spyder: :cool:
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

After the upcoming Shaman sprint, the Spyders I want most in Cruwear are the Native Chief and Police 4 LW.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Too many good steels! Maybe they could do yearly runs of models in certain steels. I would love a permanent cruwear option, but as others have stated, I'd also like to see k390, s90v, and rex45 more readily available, and wouldn't want to lose access to maxamet, ZDP-189, or s110v. So yea just run more sprints on a rotational, annual or semi annual basis.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I do agree that CruWear would be a good permanent addition to some models, but maybe not all. I don't think it should replace S110V, because for someone that EDCs a Spyderco in Florida or Georgia, the stainlessness of S110V is great. CruWear... maybe not so much. I think that certain models could be offered in it though, like I've said before that the CruWear/micarta Shaman should be a permanent addition. Its just so perfect for that knife. CruWear Natives/Chiefs and maybe a CruWear Manix 2 XL could be a permanent fixture too. Other knives like the Military family and Manix 2 can keep the S110V and Maxamet. I don't know what the best distribution would be, but you get what I'm saying. The Japanese knives can keep their fancy Japanese steels. Or, as Baron mind said, they could do anual runs of all the most popular ones like CruWear, S90V, XHP, etc.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I would love for cruwear to become a production run steel. I live in Florida and carry either my cruwear pm3 or the magnitude in s30v. Honestly, other than in the jimping, I have seen no difference in corrosion/rusting between the two. Cruwear is a lot more corrosion resistant than what people think. I’ve even left one of my cruwear blades in mustard for multiple days trying to see if I can force a patina or any kind of staining and nothing.

If they implemented it into production I could definitely see cruwear sprint sales going down a tiny bit. I’d like to see it come out in its own knife, kind of like m4 and the mantra did.