Thinking about a Mule in PD#1

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
benben

Thinking about a Mule in PD#1

Post by benben »

So what's the consensus on PD1? I know a good while back Calavera Cutlery stopped using 3V and started using PD1 in their El Patron folder, just curious the opinions of those here who's tried it?
jpm2

Re: Thinking about a Mule in PD#1

Post by jpm2 »

Odd they're still available, considering all the requests for cruwear.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, makes me think that part of the market appetite for Cruwear is similar to the hype for M390 a while ago which didn't extend to CTS-204P and CPM 20CV.

It's a Cruwear/Zwear analogue from Carpenter. I haven't tried it, but I've been favorably impressed by all the Carpenter steels I've used.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So, I've thought about getting a pd#1 mule, but this question has stopped me: all the love for cruwear is really for CPM cruwear (like spyderco uses). In at least one of Larrin's articles, he notes performance difference btw Cruwear and CPM Cruwear. So when I hear pd#1 is analogous to cru-wear, I assume that means to Cruwear's chemical comp, but not the CPM process. Maybe someone can expkain to me if Carpenter uses a similar process on PD#1?? I'd definitely buy one in that case.
Attachments
From this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/how-to-pick-the-best-steel-for-every-knife/
From this article: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/how-to-pick-the-best-steel-for-every-knife/
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:31 pm
So, I've thought about getting a pd#1 mule, but this question has stopped me: all the love for cruwear is really for CPM cruwear (like spyderco uses). In at least one of Larrin's articles, he notes performance difference btw Cruwear and CPM Cruwear. So when I hear pd#1 is analogous to cru-wear, I assume that means to Cruwear's chemical comp, but not the CPM process. Maybe someone can expkain to me if Carpenter uses a similar process on PD#1?? I'd definitely buy one in that case.

Carpenter's PD#1 is a powder steel. They don't call it "CPM" obviously because that is a trademark; their term for it is "Micro-Melt". It's the same technology though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:45 pm
JuPaul wrote:

Carpenter's PD#1 is a powder steel. They don't call it "CPM" obviously because that is a trademark; their term for it is "Micro-Melt". It's the same technology though.
So it'd have the same enhanced toughness, for example, as CPM Cruwear over regular Cruwear? In that case, bring on that mule! Oh wait...i just spent all my money on discontinued knives. :(
- Julia

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:49 pm
The Meat man wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

So it'd have the same enhanced toughness, for example, as CPM Cruwear over regular Cruwear? In that case, bring on that mule! Oh wait...i just spent all my money on discontinued knives. :(

It should, yes. I actually have a PD#1 Mule but I haven't finished making the handles yet. I have a couple slabs of ebony wood I'm planning to use. Might be a good project for this winter.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I've been using a PD#1 mule in the kitchen for about 4 months. I certainly have other knives that are made specifically for kitchen duties but having it in the same location as my kitchen knives reminds me to use it regularly. Overall I'm really liking it. It is surprisingly stain / corrosion resistant. I have some very, very minor patina but I let it sit for a long time in acidic foods before I get around to washing it. An hour or two after food prep.
One factory side was almost bang on 15 dps. The other side had a lot of variation along the length of the bevel. I ended up re-profiling it on a Wicked edge at 14dps.
I can get the steel sticky sharp without too much effort and I'm happy thus far with how long the edge lasts. I cut almost exclusively on a Hinoki cutting board so the blade isn't hitting anything really that would be hard on the edge. This is probably lending to the longevity of the working edge.
Last edited by tjsblade on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog »

Delete
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Ha ha I feel your pain! Yeah, part of the reason why CPM Cruwear tends to just be referred to as Cruwear is that the ingot versions are no longer made, so there's no chance of confusing the two.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I'm sure it's good. Cru-Wear is good, and PD1, as noted above, is the same basic stuff.
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting stuff about Mule Teams might be coming. :cool: :p

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 pm

sal
:)

!!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 pm
JuPaul wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Ha ha I feel your pain! Yeah, part of the reason why CPM Cruwear tends to just be referred to as Cruwear is that the ingot versions are no longer made, so there's no chance of confusing the two.
And this is why I like this forum...I learn something new every day!
- Julia

Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 pm

sal
This comment, the mention of more k390, along with the multiple shaman variants have made my year.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bought the CPM 20CV and the PD#1 mule

M390 and Cruwear comparisons would be right.

PD#1 stayed sharp for the longest
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:11 pm
And this is why I like this forum...I learn something new every day!
Same here, my friend, it's a great learning resource! ;)
standy99 wrote: Bought the CPM 20CV and the PD#1 mule

Good one Standy, so you've had 'em in action for a while?

How did the PD1 Mule perform regarding corrosion resistance up there in the tropical north?

Any other comments regarding the two steels?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:02 am

standy99 wrote: Bought the CPM 20CV and the PD#1 mule

Good one Standy, so you've had 'em in action for a while?

How did the PD1 Mule perform regarding corrosion resistance up there in the tropical north?

Any other comments regarding the two steels?

viewtopic.php?t=78142

Will have to update the thread above.

Found them both great steels with the PD#1 being the stand out as used both with a bit of boning and skinning

Will get handles made for both which will negate under scale maintenance for both.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Pete from Cedric and Ada YouTube channel recently did his rope cut test on a whole bunch of mules. Pd1 cut significantly more than the cruwear mule, but the cruwear had some sort of heat treat issues. Pd1 fell between elmax and M4 in edge retention. Fairly impressive. Good video.
https://youtu.be/91OyDvPu-Rc
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Was the Cruwear mule CPM Cruwear or non-CPM?