Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Victorinox photo and discussion thread!

Post by SG89 »

Well, my only advice to y’all is... Stop now because victorinox addiction is real and it will consume you. Sadly, it is too late for me. :(
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've remained strong with just the Tinker and Hiker which me and my wife swap around from time to time. I just TRY not to look at other models!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Don't look at other models and definitely don't get into modding then you will end up buying broken mixed lots for parts like me lol
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

This is the Excelsior model. Just a small and large blade no other tools
Spydergirl88
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

My latest acquisition, Alox Electrician
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Beautiful ^
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've been using my Tinker quite a bit lately. I've used the large blade quite a bit as well. On Saturday night I was using it to practice some feather sticks and dulled the edge a bit. I love how quick and easy it is to get this steel back to a razor edge! I spent less than 5 minutes on the Sharpmaker browns and went from hardly slicing paper, and that was only in a particular area of the edge...to shaving sharp. Impressive lil fella!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Of all the Victorinox hardware that I've owned and used over the years I really can't complain about any of it. Actually every piece I've bought and used has been more than satisfactory for the price I paid for it. I still rate their multi-tools as being the best out there barring specialty type multi-tools like the Spyderench and a couple of the specialty survival type multi-tools.

But the Swiss Tool and Swiss Tool X have both served me very well over the years. The only company I could even begin to compare Victorinox to in their competitive price range as far as practical/usuable hardware would be the Swedish company Frost/Mora. But they come in at a distant second. The blade steel that Victorinox uses is great for no more than you pay for it. I just got through steeling my Spyderco M390 Military this morning with a Victorinox sharpening steel that I got at a thrift store the other day for a $1.97 :eek: And it's just about as good as a German made F. Dick sharpening steel that I paid about 40 times as much for.

Even their accessories like backpacks, fanny packs and even the wallet I've carried for close to 10 years now are an incredible bargain for the long term performance you get from them. Oh and did I mention the 2 Victorinox grafting knives I use??? Oh Sure I do like Spyderco's folders a lot better but on the other hand look how much you pay for most of them too.
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, Victorinox is the best bargain in the cutlery world, bar none (sorry, Spyderco). When I lived overseas in Taiwan, the only knife I had for nearly a decade, and also for a few years after returning Stateside, was a Victorinox Spartan. It held up great, and handled all the knife chores I needed to do, along with all the other tools on it. I had bought that knife brand new in 1981 at a local hardware store; they were having a Christmas sale, and it cost me all of $5.

Victorinox makes many thousands of knives PER DAY. Think about that. With such an output, to have such great quality and consistency, is unequaled in the cutlery industry.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

They're really hard to beat, especially for the price. I've carried one for decades. No matter the model, the tool set will get you thru 99 percent of what you encounter.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:57 pm
They're really hard to beat, especially for the price. I've carried one for decades. No matter the model, the tool set will get you thru 99 percent of what you encounter.
Absolutely! I've only had our Tinker and Hiker for a couple months now and I've used EVERY tool at least once besides the reamer on each one. So handy, so discreet, so affordable. Glad I bit on these!

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am
IMO, Victorinox is the best bargain in the cutlery world, bar none (sorry, Spyderco).
Not only that Jim I was also told by a friend of mine who really keeps up with the news ( internationally) and he told me about 3 years ago that Victorinox won an international court case some time back and the decision made it clear that they are "The Official Swiss Army Knife". He said that 'Wenger" and two other companies tried to get that title but Victorinox was declared the winner>> and truthfully I can see why.

I've owned several items ( mostly hardware) made by Victorinox and not one of them were bad quality at all. Last night I was just unpacking some older kitchen stuff I've brought to my relatively new apartment. And I found a complete set of Victorinox steak knives that I almost forgot I had. I remember buying them at a Gun Show back in the 90s. They were still pretty sharp and I was glad to discover I still had them. Their stuff will last forever if you take good care of it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I believe that Victorinox was legally deemed “the original Swiss Army Knife,” while Wenger was “the genuine Swiss Army Knife.” But Wenger went bust several years ago, and Victorinox saved it, to avoid all those Wenger employees from losing their jobs, and absorbed it. So now, what was once Wenger is now a division of Victorinox. IIRC, the Victorinox knives made by the former Wenger are stamped “Victorinox Delemont.”

Jim
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Interesting - thanks for posting.

James Y wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am
I believe that Victorinox was legally deemed “the original Swiss Army Knife,” while Wenger was “the genuine Swiss Army Knife.” But Wenger went bust several years ago, and Victorinox saved it, to avoid all those Wenger employees from losing their jobs, and absorbed it. So now, what was once Wenger is now a division of Victorinox. IIRC, the Victorinox knives made by the former Wenger are stamped “Victorinox Delemont.”

Jim
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Nice serrated Spartan Spydergirl!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 am

Is there a white coating under the clear in these scales? They look different than regular translucents. And I sure wish I could acquire one of those SE Spartans. They won't ship to a Canadian address. Nice pic.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 am
Is there a white coating under the clear in these scales? They look different than regular translucents. And I sure wish I could acquire one of those SE Spartans. They won't ship to a Canadian address. Nice pic.
Yes, a white/grey fill. I've seen one person on the multitool forum remove that portion on the silvertech scales and fill it in with glow in the dark epoxy/similar material.
Spydergirl88
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am
Yes, a white/grey fill. I've seen one person on the multitool forum remove that portion on the silvertech scales and fill it in with glow in the dark epoxy/similar material.

Thanks, sis. It looks great. I actually just found a place in Canada that sells the serrated Spartan. Just ordered it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks, sis. It looks great. I actually just found a place in Canada that sells the serrated Spartan. Just ordered it.
Awesome! I'm going to use mine to carve a pumpkin with my son later :)
Spydergirl88