Official 2020 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sok

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Post by sok »

Thanks to you two for alleviating my fears. I have ordered from Knivesplus a few years ago and all was good. I also searched their reviews and all is positive. Internet purchases always get me a bit jumpy until I get product in hand. I think the Advocate is going to great. Can't wait.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sok wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Thanks to you two for alleviating my fears. I have ordered from Knivesplus a few years ago and all was good. I also searched their reviews and all is positive. Internet purchases always get me a bit jumpy until I get product in hand. I think the Advocate is going to great. Can't wait.
Enjoy that Advocate! I've been VERY tempted by that one...such a great deal on a beautiful knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm
sok wrote:
Enjoy that Advocate! I've been VERY tempted by that one...such a great deal on a beautiful knife.
The advocate is the next tempting one for me. It’s a really solid list of knives being discontinued. Already have most of the ones I want but the advocate would be next. I’m kicking myself a little bit as I ordered a subvert a few days before the list came out. Oops.
attila

Post by attila »

Well, I guess I'll try the Mantra 2. I never was interested, but for $128 (**** sales tax), I'll give the Ti franelock a chance.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 pm
The advocate is the next tempting one for me. It’s a really solid list of knives being discontinued. Already have most of the ones I want but the advocate would be next. I’m kicking myself a little bit as I ordered a subvert a few days before the list came out. Oops.
Providing funds allow I'd jump on one now while you can. The only way I'd be happier with mine is if I would've bought it at closeout price.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:33 pm
sok wrote:

That it is! I just ordered one at the behest of a co-worker of mine. He has always really liked my Advocate, especially after I let him borrow it for a few days while I was busy sharpening up his Kershaw Launch 7. When I told him they were being discontinued and practically $100 off, he decided to get one. This will be his first Spyderco knife.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 pm
Providing funds allow I'd jump on one now while you can. The only way I'd be happier with mine is if I would've bought it at closeout price.
Darn enablers. Advocate on the way.
It’s a busy week for my mail box. Subvert and equilibrium arrived today. Opus and advocate in transit.
The subvert is way cool. Not sure how practical it is, but I love it. I need to take this little machete into the yard and take care of those blackberry bushes!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 pm
:D I've been enabled a few times myself so I don't feel too bad about it. Seriously, I think you'll really like the Advocate. That's a heck of deal for $156!
SF Native wrote:
It’s a busy week for my mail box. Subvert and equilibrium arrived today. Opus and advocate in transit.
The subvert is way cool. Not sure how practical it is, but I love it. I need to take this little machete into the yard and take care of those blackberry bushes!
Been pretty busy here too. I swore I was going to slow down on knife purchases, and I have, but in the past few days I got a Shaman, ZT0801TI, and a Hanan should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I just realized the knife I was kind of hoping would be discontinued (Native 5 S90V/Fluted CF) wasn't. Otherwise I might have another one coming.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve had an Advocate in and out of my shopping cart many times over the last eighteen months or so. The fact it’s now discontinued and the discount sealed the deal.

It might be worth noting that KnifeCentre has both the original and the Gen2 models in stock and it seems it may be a bit of a lucky dip as to which you get. I found this out because I didn’t know how to redeem a $20 gift voucher I’d accred through past purchases. So I rang this morning.

A very helpful gentlemen named Garry assured me he’d personally handle my order to ensure I do indeed get a Gen2 knife plus the $20 discount on top of the already discounted price. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 pm
SF Native wrote:
:D I've been enabled a few times myself so I don't feel too bad about it. Seriously, I think you'll really like the Advocate. That's a heck of deal for $156!
SF Native wrote:
Been pretty busy here too. I swore I was going to slow down on knife purchases, and I have, but in the past few days I got a Shaman, ZT0801TI, and a Hanan should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I just realized the knife I was kind of hoping would be discontinued (Native 5 S90V/Fluted CF) wasn't. Otherwise I might have another one coming.
That’s a solid haul. Hanan was on my radar but I think it’s a little smaller than I was hoping. But I love me some bolsters. Was that the red, 4v shaman?
sok

Post by sok »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 pm

It might be worth noting that KnifeCentre has both the original and the Gen2 models in stock and it seems it may be a bit of a lucky dip as to which you get. I found this out because I didn’t know how to redeem a $20 gift voucher I’d accred through past purchases. So I rang this morning.

A very helpful gentlemen named Garry assured me he’d personally handle my order to ensure I do indeed get a Gen2 knife plus the $20 discount on top of the already discounted price. :cool:
I felt a little nervous, about gen1/gen2, when I put the Advocate in the shopping cart at Knife Center because the site didn’t say anything about whether their stock was which one. I even clicked to buy, but when they wouldn’t take PayPal, I backed out.

When I went to Knives Plus and and saw that they were selling the *CQI version, even though it was fourteen dollars more, I pulled the trigger. I am nervous about it again though.
Last edited by sok on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sok

Post by sok »

Delete
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 pm
Was that the red, 4v shaman?
Yes, St Nick's red 4V Shaman
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 pm
I’ve had an Advocate in and out of my shopping cart many times over the last eighteen months or so. The fact it’s now discontinued and the discount sealed the deal.knife

Another ;)

:D :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Can't believe they discontinued the best folder they make without revealing the replacement.
:unicorn
Holybotulism

Post by Holybotulism »

FNG here. Ordered an Advocate, Mantra 2, and Stepped Ti Chaparral. I know the chaparral was D/C last year, but I believe Blade HQ lowered the price even more to $199. Is there a way to tell whether or not the Advocate is the updated CQI version without disassembling the knife? Does it state CQI version on the box?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:07 am
Can't believe they discontinued the best folder they make without revealing the replacement.
Given Sal’s plans for the Pacific Salt (hinted above, and here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84934#p1362439), I’d bet good money that the next Reveal tells us what we want to know.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:07 am
This is why I bought the last 5 SE pac salt’s that GP had in stock! Had to back up the one that’s been in my pocket for forever.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Holybotulism wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 am
FNG here. Ordered an Advocate, Mantra 2, and Stepped Ti Chaparral. I know the chaparral was D/C last year, but I believe Blade HQ lowered the price even more to $199. Is there a way to tell whether or not the Advocate is the updated CQI version without disassembling the knife? Does it state CQI version on the box?
Welcome FNG! :) Regarding the Advocate, I'm pretty sure you can look at the bearings inside the knife and see whether they're the new style or not. I'm also pretty sure you can tell if it's CQI based on the date code on the box. I'll have to see if I can dig up a thread with that info. Otherwise I can look at the code on my box. If yours has that same date code or later it should be the CQI version.

Ok I did a little digging. I've attached a link to a picture that Kristi posted a while back that shows the visual difference between the original and CQI versions. Also, in that same thread I was reminded that when the original CQI versions were released they were in boxes with old (LP) date codes. The CQI Advocates were hitting the dealer shelves in early March 2018. I honestly don't know if there was another run since. Regardless, if the knife you receive has a date code later than March 2018 then it's likely the CQI version. Compare with the pic to confirm.

viewtopic.php?p=1215046#p1215046
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sok

Post by sok »

Welcome prndltech https://youtu.be/niAlyaTYi20&t=25s

The PS is an awesome knife.