SpydieChef ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: SpydieChef ?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm
@ekastanis Thanks for sharing.

@doeswhateveraspydercan Yeah man. The magnet test for stainless is something I was taught as a kid by my dad. Maybe it was more prevalent decades ago...who knows. I’m old enough now to have learned there are exceptions to most rules. Thus my sig line. ;)
Well he was not wrong I went and did a little research and learned a bit too. :) I always thought Stainless meant Non-Magnetic automatically but over the years read stainless on allot of different things and found out is was magnetic so I reversed my old thinking and now thanks to this interaction know more about stainless. Turns out it is a little more complex than a label.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm
Well all I can say is WOW! Really?

Found some confirmation you guys are right the hardware was not titanium check this out. Really shocking.

https://youtu.be/w74VenRksTc
You beat me to it. I remember reading somewhere that the hardware was stainless but could not find anything solid. I’m glad you got to the bottom of it. Now, the first batch did or did not have a ceramic detent ball? Seems to be conflicting opinions. Thanks
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Redman5006 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:08 pm

Found some confirmation you guys are right the hardware was not titanium check this out. Really shocking.

You beat me to it. I remember reading somewhere that the hardware was stainless but could not find anything solid. I’m glad you got to the bottom of it. Now, the first batch did or did not have a ceramic detent ball? Seems to be conflicting opinions. Thanks
The first batch of the Spydiechef did not have a ceramic detent ball.
-Nick :bug-red
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:44 pm
Redman5006 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:08 pm

The first batch of the Spydiechef did not have a ceramic detent ball.
Thanks! Hopefully this thread will clear up the confusion concerning the CQI of the newest batch of the Spydiechef.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I use my LC200N Native in the kitchen just about everyday. I'm not the biggest fan of frame/liner locks, but I figured I'd see what all the fuss is about with the Spydiechef. Even if I don't carry it much, I at least know I can put it to work around the house.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Marine grade SS such is 304 is not magnetic and will not rust, 450 SS on the other hand is magnetic and will rust, there are other grades but you get the point.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Speaking of Sypderco Folders as Kitchen knives, I have to share that when I purchased the Spyderco Hundred Pacer under advisement of board members here for use in a kitchen knife , the Spydiechef I was enjoying got the boot.

By the way the Hundred Pacer is now discontinued and I have seen it for $200.00 so tempted to get a back up but know the one I have will last me a life time.

Anyone wanting a great Kitchen Folder should get a Hundred Pacer while you still can. CTS XHP gives it great stain resistance it holds a blade a very long time and is easy to sharpen favoring the brown rods and stones by Spyderco.

The Spydiechef is a great knife make no mistake but a bit tiny for in the kitchen.
TooRiled

Post by TooRiled »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm
@ekastanis Thanks for sharing.

@doeswhateveraspydercan Yeah man. The magnet test for stainless is something I was taught as a kid by my dad. Maybe it was more prevalent decades ago...who knows. I’m old enough now to have learned there are exceptions to most rules. Thus my sig line. ;)
Well he was not wrong I went and did a little research and learned a bit too. :) I always thought Stainless meant Non-Magnetic automatically but over the years read stainless on allot of different things and found out is was magnetic so I reversed my old thinking and now thanks to this interaction know more about stainless. Turns out it is a little more complex than a label.
This is just speculation, but even if the old hardware was the non-magnetic stainless variety, I think you could still get galvanic corrosion. Galvanic is just when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other and there's a catalyst (salt water is a good one). If that's what's going on, it still doesn't explain why to just not go with titanium fasteners (price?).
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Anybody have one from the latest batch? How is the lockup? Any vertical blade play / lock rock?
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I don't think the black hardware looks bad at all on the new model. I quite like it actually.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Joey

Post by Joey »

TooRiled wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:02 pm

This is just speculation, but even if the old hardware was the non-magnetic stainless variety, I think you could still get galvanic corrosion. Galvanic is just when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other and there's a catalyst (salt water is a good one). If that's what's going on, it still doesn't explain why to just not go with titanium fasteners (price?).
Speculating on your speculation; I know there are plenty of titanium screws out there today, but maybe titanium is too soft.
Perhaps_OCD? wrote: Anybody have one from the latest batch? How is the lockup? Any vertical blade play / lock rock?
My particular model (most recent/black screw CQI) has minor lock stick, and no blade play. The lock stick is far less than my previous ceramic ball CQI (previous production) model, but it is still more sticky than any steel insert RIL I’ve handled. Must be more difficult than it seems, but I wish they’d put one on (one with an over-travel stop built in) after three CQI updates, and plenty of lock stick issues being reported.