Official 2020 Discontinued List

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Official 2020 Discontinued List

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm not sure how i feel about the pacific salt in it's current form going away. i really love that knife and carry it in the ocean, so it's probably the most likely knife i have to get lost. i haven't handled an endura 4, so i'm not sure if i'd prefer that handle or not.

i'm also surprised by the police 4 going away. that's a sweet knife that i would've wanted to pick up if it was in a steel that wouldn't rust on me. shame.

i always thought the squarehead looked cool. maybe now is the time to grab one.

i also wanted a karahawk, but i can't justify spending that much for it. even at the discounted price, it's too much for me to spend on a little karambit.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Will the pacific salt 2 lose the option of a satin blade with black handle like the salt 1 to salt 2 transition did?

Also I know everybody is saying they would love some flat ground lc200n but I would be thoroughly dissapointed if the sabre ground h1 option wasnt available. The more options the better I think. But there are some of us who would prefer sabre ground h1. With serratioms of course. Between the chef, caribbean, Native 5 salt, a mule team, and the siren that was just announced which I know ill get, Im starting to get overrun with flat ground lc200n. Although its not like thats a bad thing. I would just hate to not have an h1 option.

Given thats a japan only steel though on a japanese produced knife with a rediculous history in the market, Im sure im just being paranoid and the original steel and grind isnt going away.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sal

Post by sal »

Hi VooDooChild,

Welcome to our forum.

The Pacific Salt 2 will also have the black blade option as that's what the Military gets. Also, I have no plans to disco H1 in the Pacific. I carry a serrated Pacific when I'm in Kauai.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Hey sal, thanks.
Good to hear the formula wont change too much. I cant wait to get some bidirectional frn on the pac salt 2.

I was asking about a regular (not coated black) blade with a black handle, as the salt 2 in the current catalog doesnt have that option like the pacific salt 1 does right now. Most of my salts are yellow anyways, I was just curious.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Monty

Post by Monty »

Good to hear the Pac Salt isn't going away for good. I saw an instagram post yesterday linking to the knifecenter sale for discontinued models and the Pacific Salts were there and I figured they just threw a couple discontinued models in with the regular Spydies and wanted us to sort through them.

Looking forward to seeing what the Pac Salt 2 looks like.

Really hoping to see a serrated (or combo edge, oh please Spydie gods) Siren in 2020.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Surprised to see the Sage1 on there. What a classic Spyderco!
That's the only one I've got my eyes on...sad to see it go!
I'm also surprised to see the Sage1 on the list. To me it's also one of those quintessential Spydercos.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ronT2 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:31 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:37 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm
Surprised to see the Sage1 on there. What a classic Spyderco!
That's the only one I've got my eyes on...sad to see it go!
I'm also surprised to see the Sage1 on the list. To me it's also one of those quintessential Spydercos.
Of the four Sages I have I think the 2 is the nicest but the 1 sees the most carry time. It's one of the first Spydies I bought (used) and it's a classic IMO. I got a remarkable deal on it and I'm very happy I have it.

Had the opportunity to by one of a few Sage 4s this past weekend but decided to hold off. Too many irons in the fire at the moment.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I guess I’m not terribly surprised by the Squarehead. I love mine but I can see it being too... odd. I am sorely tempted to get a yellow pac salt and a blackout pac salt and make what I really want, an yellow and black SE pac salt :cool:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:03 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Not too many surprises this year, EXCEPT the Police 4??? :eek:
I was quite surprised to see the Police 4 on the discontinued list as well. Do you all think it’s because they’re already coming out with a Police 5?

Sal had hinted that it would be discontinued soon, especially with the advent of the new Police LW.
I imagine that the P4 was a bit of a slow seller: maybe not on this forum, but among Spyderco's main customer base. It's really an aficionado model, a true Sal Glesser creation - long thin blade, K390 steel, slender but solid design.
Unfortunately it wasn't helped by the fact that for some reason, G-10 from Seki City is very expensive. I think it is worth the money though. It is such a fine knife: you really need to hold one in hand to fully appreciate it.
The pricing issue with Seki G-10 killed some good designs before they got off the ground :(
Sad to see the G-10 Police4 go. I really need to buy a back up for mine before they're all gone.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Can't believe the advocate is on the list. Best deal ever. The advocate is the total package and such a great blade.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm happy I got a spare Lil Temp 3 now!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:36 pm
Also, I have no plans to disco H1 in the Pacific.

I don't mind keeping H1 available, but I hope there will be a FFG LC200N version, as well.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I grabbed a grey Squarehead and a black handled serrated Pacific Salt. I’ve really been wanting to try the serrated H1 I always here so much about, so this is as good a time as any. If I like it enough I might just buy a newer one too!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
sok

Post by sok »

Well, I just ordered the Advocate. The site where I bought it says it is the CQI version. If correct, I can’t see how I will be disappointed.

I was out of the loop when this knife came out, so I have been doing some research on its “history”. Can’t wait to get it and check it out.

I own the ti/carbon fiber handled Military, but I have never owned a full on titanium handled knife. I think the thing that finally pushed me to get this is when I saw that it is only 3.6oz. That seemed light for a knife this size with a ti handle. I already own the GB Air, and the GB1.

I am not even a flipper guy, but am excited for this one.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sok wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am
Well, I just ordered the Advocate. The site where I bought it says it is the CQI version. If correct, I can’t see how I will be disappointed.

I was out of the loop when this knife came out, so I have been doing some research on its “history”. Can’t wait to get it and check it out.

I own the ti/carbon fiber handled Military, but I have never owned a full on titanium handled knife. I think the thing that finally pushed me to get this is when I saw that it is only 3.6oz. That seemed light for a knife this size with a ti handle. I already own the GB Air, and the GB1.

It is an amazing knife. Quality wise, it is about as close to a custom as you could wish.
One of Spyderco's finest, in my opinion.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
archangel

Post by archangel »

sok wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am

You won't be disappointed. Only thing is that it feels so precious when you hold it, you might be reluctant to use it for heavy tasks. :eek: Well that's me...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bought an Advocate! I could only afford to get one knife this DC list... (maybe)

I may get a Police 4 depending on price...

Maybe a Mantra 2 aswell....

And.........
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sok

Post by sok »

I just went back to the site that I ordered the Advocate from and noticed that they are sold out. I also looked a little closer and what I thought I saw as “CQI” actually says “*** NEW CGI PIVOT ADVOCATE ***”. Do you guys think that is a typo(CGI instead of CQI) or slight of hand to get rid of the non CQI variant?
https://www.knivesplus.com/spydercoadvo ... 14tip.html

I really think that I am being a little paranoid, but now worry a little.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sok wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:42 pm
I just went back to the site that I ordered the Advocate from and noticed that they are sold out. I also looked a little closer and what I thought I saw as “CQI” actually says “*** NEW CGI PIVOT ADVOCATE ***”. Do you guys think that is a typo(CGI instead of CQI) or slight of hand to get rid of the non CQI variant?

I think it's just an honest mistake. There was never another new pivot. Only the original and CQI. Enjoy your new Advocate. It's really nice!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:45 pm
sok wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:42 pm

I think it's just an honest mistake. There was never another new pivot. Only the original and CQI. Enjoy your new Advocate. It's really nice!
Agreed. Knivesplus is a good company.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.