SpydieChef ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

SpydieChef ?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I just received a message from DLT Trading in it they say CQI Version and to note that the CQI Version has black hardware.

Just what is the CQI? Does anyone know? Makes it hard to justify buying again with no explanation of improvements other than black hardware. So strange.
wrdwrght

Re: SpydieChef ?

Post by wrdwrght »

Ceramic detent ball, I think.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:40 am
Ceramic detent ball, I think.
That's what the description at gpknives says.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
wolfstyle

Post by wolfstyle »

Just placed my order at DLT for one.
Got a free DLT GITD patch.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ceramic Ball Detent was present in the last release prior to this one. What I am wondering is if there is another CQI that has taken place.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am also quite curious if another CQI change was made and if so, what? Is the black hardware a cosmetic only change or also functional?

AFAIK the ceramic detent ball has been in all the SpydieChefs made since April 2018. viewtopic.php?t=80881
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve really no clue as what’s going on here. I’m going to have to try to find one second hand now because that black hardware is hideous.
Josh
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The black hardware is to make the knife completely rust proof. Functionally its an improvement but I think it looks weird.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I like the looks of the black hardware. Blue or green would have been better, but I'm sure places like St. Nick's Knives, with their anodization skills, will do something that works well with the black hardware. It's too bad USA Made Blade wont have these, their ano is beautiful and at no extra charge.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 pm
The black hardware is to make the knife completely rust proof. Functionally its an improvement but I think it looks weird.
I like the looks fine, but I'm not a fan of coatings in general because they tend to wear off. Someone else posted that the hardware was Ti, which made the coating harder to understand. But I've now been informed that it's actually stainless. There are users that have experienced corrosion on the hardware, so it can't be Ti. (This may be old news, but I'm late to the party. ;) )

All that said, has anyone sourced a Ti hardware kit for these? I just did a lazy search and didn't see any, but surely they're out there. Some blue anno would look nice.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Bladeswelove on eBay have blue and bronze titanium screws available. I have no personal experience with them, but I've heard good things.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Ah thx @notsurewhy. I've seen their customized spydies in the past.
- Mark

Doeswhateveraspidercan

The 2018 models hardware screws etc.. were titanium. I know I took mine apart to look at the detente ball which was ceramic and the lock-bar discoloration. The tool I used was magnetized and the screws absolutely would not pick up with it. Not sure where this idea of stainless hardware and screws came from an earlier model perhaps?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm
The 2018 models hardware screws etc.. were titanium. I know I took mine apart to look at the detente ball which was ceramic and the lock-bar discoloration. The tool I used was magnetized and the screws absolutely would not pick up with it. Not sure where this idea of stainless hardware and screws came from an earlier model perhaps?
Perhaps. But stainless is also typically not magnetic. I'm not sure that would be the indicator of stainless vs Ti. And the coated hardware would make more sense if it was added for corrosion resistance.

Has anyone from Spyderco stated anything about Ti hardware? I've really not followed this model too closely until recently.
- Mark

ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

mb1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:52 pm
stainless is also typically not magnetic.
Austenitic stainless steel (e.g. 300 series) is non-magnetic but ferritic & martensitic (e.g. 400 series), as well as duplex stainless steels are magnetic. Stainless steel fasteners can be found in both 300 and 400 series steels.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I'm totally fine with the black hardware. So much so that i ordered one
Doeswhateveraspidercan

mb1 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:52 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:16 pm
Perhaps. But stainless is also typically not magnetic. I'm not sure that would be the indicator of stainless vs Ti. And the coated hardware would make more sense if it was added for corrosion resistance.

Has anyone from Spyderco stated anything about Ti hardware? I've really not followed this model too closely until recently.
Stainless not typically magnetic? Come now there are plenty of stainless steels that are magnetic willing to bet more are than not.

That being said I have to admit since I sold mine I have no way of testing now and do concede that they very well could have been a non-magnetic form of stainless steel but why would they do that on a rust proof knife and take the trouble to plate the screws and fasteners to have the identical look and feel of titanium?

Sorry this does not add up. If it is indeed the case all I can say is wow.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well all I can say is WOW! Really?

Found some confirmation you guys are right the hardware was not titanium check this out. Really shocking.

https://youtu.be/w74VenRksTc
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:18 pm
I’ve really no clue as what’s going on here. I’m going to have to try to find one second hand now because that black hardware is hideous.
Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one to detest the black screws.
First time I saw it I thought I'd stumbled onto a Ali Express link :-/
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

@ekastanis Thanks for sharing.

@doeswhateveraspydercan Yeah man. The magnet test for stainless is something I was taught as a kid by my dad. Maybe it was more prevalent decades ago...who knows. I’m old enough now to have learned there are exceptions to most rules. Thus my sig line. ;)
- Mark