A "thank you" & a testimonial of sorts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

A "thank you" & a testimonial of sorts...

Post by zuludelta »

As some of you here know, I work in a warehouse & use my work knife—usually a Native 5, a Delica 4, a Salt 2, and occasionally an Introvert—a lot over the course of a shift, mostly to break down cardboard and cut pallet straps.

Apart from being a general warehouse worker, however, I'm also one of my workplace's Level 2 Occupational First Aid Attendants. Most of the time, I deal with fairly minor workplace injuries: cuts, bumps, bruises, minor burns, heat exhaustion, dehydration, that sort of stuff. Sometimes, however, I have to deal with life-threatening situations as the first link in the emergency medical response chain. And yesterday I found myself in one such incident.

The details of the incident aren't all that important (there's also patient confidentiality to consider), but what is relevant to this forum is that I used my Spyderco folder (a Karahawk, of all things, that I carried in place of my Delica on a whim as I was leaving for work this afternoon) to perform a number of critical tasks over the course of dealing with a workplace medical emergency & it didn't get in the way. That's one of the best things I can say about a folding knife: I didn't have to think about using it—it felt like an extension of my hand, it deployed quickly & securely, and it effortlessly cut everything I needed it to cut. In a volatile situation where so many things can go wrong, having reliable equipment makes a huge difference—sometimes it can mean the difference between the loss or the retention of a limb, or even life and death.

So thank you, Sal & Eric & everyone at Spyderco for making quality tools that we can rely on, day in and day out.
curlyhairedboy

Re: A "thank you" & a testimonial of sorts...

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks for sharing! Nothing better than a tool that performs seamlessly when you need it to!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Glad you were there and were prepared! I just ordered a spydie Rescue last night to keep in my car - hope I never have to use it for an actual emergency, but I will sure feel better knowing it's there.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks. It always good to read about a Spyderco coming to the rescue, so to speak.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:19 am
Glad you were there and were prepared! I just ordered a spydie Rescue last night to keep in my car - hope I never have to use it for an actual emergency, but I will sure feel better knowing it's there.
As the old saying goes, "better to have something & not need it than to need something & not have it."

I actually do carry a pair of folding medical shears in my belt-carry workplace first aid kit (a Leatherman Raptor, which comes with an integrated oxygen tank wrench, glass breaker, ring cutter, ruler, and seatbelt cutter) but I almost always end up using my folding knife for emergency cutting tasks on-site—it's a lot faster for me (probably due to years of built-up muscle memory). I still use the Raptor shears, though, but usually when I'm treating someone in the first aid room (a good pair of medical shears is essential for dressing wounds)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the kind words, Zuludelta.

sal