Help me decide : Chicago , Ladybug, Manbug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phattony

Help me decide : Chicago , Ladybug, Manbug

Post by Phattony »

Not new to knives but new to this forum. Need to decide between the three models listed in subject line. . So due to small hands I need a small knife. Used to have a Ladybug so I know it's a good model but the Chicago and the Manbug are new to me. Any ideas on which would be good?
rabbitanarchy14

Re: Help me decide : Chicago , Ladybug, Manbug

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

the manbug that i did own was just a little small for me but bigger than a ladybug. i would also add the sqeak to that list, i would be between a chicago and the squeak. i do wish they had more offerings in this size with a shorter height blade than either of the two, that leaf is pretty wide, more like a manbug blade in a chicago or squeak handle.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Phattony wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm
Not new to knives but new to this forum. Need to decide between the three models listed in subject line. . So due to small hands I need a small knife. Used to have a Ladybug so I know it's a good model but the Chicago and the Manbug are new to me. Any ideas on which would be good?
Welcome to the forum! :)

I am sorry I can´t help concerning the knives you listed, never had any of those.

But my suggestion would be to go a bit up in size: Dragonfly, or even Chaparral FRN.
Sure larger, but still small, and giving you a lot more versatility.
Imho especially the Chap is an amazing knife, very slim in pocket, and sure one of the best slicers out there: Its blade is THINNER than the ones of Chicago, Manbug, Ladybug, Dragonfly, but still strong enough...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this might seem weird coming from me, but i suggest the chicago. it’s a nice knife with g10 and a liner lock, but more importantly, it has a pocket clip. i carry mine at work every day along with a dragonfly salt se since we have stupid restrictions.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My wife has very small hands and she prefers the Dragonfly lightweight. She has two, in fact.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Chicago is okay, but I have two Manbug as I find the blade better all around. I prefer the Dragonfly, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I'd have to say the DF as well. Perfect little knife capable of big knife chores.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd recommend expanding your list to include the dragonfly 2 and the lil native.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:45 am
I'd recommend expanding your list to include the dragonfly 2 and the lil native.
... and the Chaparral FRN.. :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm also going to suggest considering a dragonfly or a lil' native. I have small hands, and I own both and very much like them. I personally think they're much more useful than the tiny knives, but they're still small enough to carry on a keychain or in a watch pocket.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Native comp lock all day
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:22 am
agreed!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
agreed!
Yup!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I always have a Manbug in the bottom of my pocket and another clipped to the same pocket. I use the Manbug every day. I think it's a great secondary knife but there are times when it's helpful to use something a little bigger. So I don't think I'd use the MB as my only knife.There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Chicago but, depending on available funds, I think I'd go with a Dragonfly or one of the others mentioned. I have all of those others and they're all great. It's just a matter of personal preference and how much you want to spend.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Phattony

Post by Phattony »

So...more research. Gonna be checking out the Dragonfly. I really want to stay in the 2" limit. But nothing wrong with drooling over stuff. Used to have a lot of Spyderco knives along with Jen Anso stuff, Gryphon knife,Cold Steel etc. Should sit down and make post divorce list. Heavy sigh but the fun of anticipation at collecting again almost makes up for the loss. Off to the research.
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

I just about always have either a Ladybug or a Manbug on me as a secondary knife. I have the following models - Ladybugs VG-10 SE, H-1 Hawkbill Salt, and V-Toku 2 PE - Manbugs H-1 Saver Salt, Hap-40 PE. The Manbug has a tiny bit thicker stock and handle than the Ladybugs, and comparable blade styles are a bit taller on the Manbug. Both models have cutting abilities far beyond their appearances. I have developed a preference for carrying a Manbug, because it is a bit more substantial. The Ladybug probably has the edge on pure sharpness. I carry either interchangeably depending on the mood I'm in when I load my pockets. If you are looking for FFG PE blade styles, I'd look for ZDP-189 or one of the sprint run steels. I have no experience with the Chicago. Good luck choosing.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Imagewhere can i upload png images

Here is one of my happy Dragonfly knives. It comes in other colors, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dragonfly 2 Salt SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Baby Horn.

If it has to be one off the list, I would say Ladybug.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
I agree love my lily native, but I did model it like crazy. Always my second carry until I can get a sprint of it. In my pocket.
Last edited by rabbitanarchy14 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Ric

Post by Ric »

Ladybug is too small for me to spydieflick.
Therefore I recommend the lil native and Dfly.