SHAMAN FIXED BLADE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

SHAMAN FIXED BLADE

Post by cycleguy »

I know this forum is heavily biased folders ... and rightfully so! But I do love fixed blades and I'll confess I love 'em more than folders.

With its 3D handle, size, geometry and all ... I think the Shaman would make a wonderful fixed blade!!!! It could even fill the void left behind by the Mule Team.

I'd love to see the Cruwear Micarta Shaman as a fixed blade. So much so, I think it could put Spyderco front and center in the fixed blade world!!!

Kydex or leather sheath would be fine ... but think I'd prefer traditional leather ... with option to wear horizontal or vertical on a belt or pack strap.

Hope this sets something big in motion!!!!

It seems like a wonderful idea to me... but I'm certain to be biased and blind. So, what do you fixed blade aficionados think?

CG :cool:
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Foundry81

Re: SHAMAN FIXED BLADE

Post by Foundry81 »

I'd be all for it. I dont carry fixed blades, but I love the shaman, and would definitely pick one up.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be pretty awesome if they offered simple Mule style fixed blade versions of popular folding knives. There are a lot of models that would transfer over to a fixed blade very well. If they were kept simple like the Mules, cost could be kept down too. It wouldn't work for every knife but I could see some models keeping the exact same overall shape stamped out in a fixed blade format with the blade ground. I'd rather have a skeletonized Native 5 fixed blade over an ESEE Izula.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yes
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Heck yeah! I think that's why I've been excited to try the Shaman: it looks like a folding version of a fixed blade I'd love to have. Even more so with the upcoming crucarta treatment. Bring on a fixed version! We just saw the release of a folding version of a spydie fixed blade (the siren/waterway), so why not the other way around?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I like the idea of a Shaman fixed blade too. Maybe permanently in 4V. Maybe a tad bit larger too.

At least 80% of my 87 knives are fixed blades, and I am always looking for an excellent small fixed blade to carry. If it has a 4 inch blade, count me in.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd likely buy it, but not carry it
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

My main problem is the front finger choil. In fixed blade I see that just as a wasted cutting edge (in folder I dont mind them, because they fold). I know folders users like to use choils, but with a good design you dont need it.

Well now I dont know....this looks kinda weird without that choil.....But I might made a fixed blade shaman in my garage at some point.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would buy a fixed Shaman. I wouldn't even think about it. I'd buy it instantly. I would be proud to make it my first Spydie fixed blade.

Funny there's support for this now. When I brought this up after I bought a Shaman as soon as it was released, I got carp for it. Multiple people posting "oh you must think Sal is here to fulfill all of your wishes" and stuff like that. It would be a good little fixed blade.

Edit to add: would have to have the same contoured handles as the regular Shaman.
Last edited by knivesandbooks on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:01 pm
My main problem is the front finger choil. In fixed blade I see that just as a wasted cutting edge (in folder I dont mind them, because they fold). I know folders users like to use choils, but with a good design you dont need it.

Well now I dont know....this looks kinda weird without that choil.....But I might made a fixed blade shaman in my garage at some point.
It looks good!

And I have reassessed my earlier comment, and I'd even buy one with a 5 inch blade! It's one heck of a beautiful knife. Maybe Spyderco could make them a permanent part of the collection at 3, 4, and 5 inch blade lengths.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Great idea!!
I personally specifically in the Shaman would keep the choil as it is, but lengthen the blade as a whole a bit, so there is a tad more actual edge.
Something that's not possible in the folding Shaman, cause, well, it has to fold...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 am
Great idea!!
I personally specifically in the Shaman would keep the choil as it is, but lengthen the blade as a whole a bit, so there is a tad more actual edge.
Like this?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 am
Great idea!!
Like this?
Looking good! :)

Though now seeing it, I wonder if the feel in hand in a regular grip might maybe be a bit too blade heavy... ??
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Balance of the knife is a tough to predict. But if you use a normal stock thickness like 3 mm it would not it be as bad. I really don't think you need more then 3 mm stock....Even more so in this case, when you don't have true FFG grind.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Proficient is similar in some ways and it is ergonomic perfection. The most comfortable knife handle I have ever held.

I started a thread a while back asking for a more affordable Proficient. Maybe Cruwear and Micarta? Maybe G10 and XHP?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Pancake wrote:

Looks like a thicker version of the Enuff.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I like the slightly longer bladed renderings shown here a lot. If something is a fixed blade and you don’t have to worry about the blade fitting in the handle, might as well give it a bit more blade! For Spyderco to really become “front and center in the fixed blade world” I think that price point would be a huge factor. Looking at their current long standing fixed blades, the Perrin Street Beat/Street Bowie, the Morans and the Enuffs, they are all fairly close to $100. Yeah, Spyderco makes some excellent fixed blades at $200+, but all the biggest fixed blade brands like Esee, KaBar, Cold Steel etc aren’t particularly famous for their high dollar models. If Spyderco were to make something outdoorsy like a Shaman styled fixed blade in America in a “good enough” steel like BD1N, 440C, etc that came in at $90-$140 MAP I think that would be a hot seller for sure! Then maybe down the road make a more premium version with a nicer handle material and steel like 4V or Cruwear or something.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Pancake wrote:

I'll buy a knife like this.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Pancake wrote:

It would be awesome if the Shaman folder was made like that.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:41 am
Like this?
Bam, you got me. I'm in.