A resurrected lower cost One-Eyed Jack, please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: A resurrected lower cost One-Eyed Jack, please

Post by araneae »

It's a knife I'd love to own, but was a bit too pricey for me. I'd buy a plain Jane version at the right price.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

In the spirit of the rubicon 2, I would keep the bolster, lose the file work, change the g10 to solid black and call it the black jack. I think it would sell.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i would love one. the things that kept me away from the one that has been made was the chinsee card inlays. it is called a one eyed jack, not spades and hearts knife or card knife, and yet there are no jacks on the scales. if i was a professional poker player yea it would be cool but that is about where it stops and that is very niche. the other thing is the crazy high price.
the filework is beautiful and the size and everything else was great. i am all for a plain white g10 OEJ.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:24 am
i would love one. the things that kept me away from the one that has been made was the chinsee card inlays. it is called a one eyed jack, not spades and hearts knife or card knife, and yet there are no jacks on the scales. if i was a professional poker player yea it would be cool but that is about where it stops and that is very niche. the other thing is the crazy high price.
the filework is beautiful and the size and everything else was great. i am all for a plain white g10 OEJ.
My exact thoughts, but without the inlays how much would it really affects the price?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
The name is a play on words. It's a jack patterned knife. The Spyderco hole looks kind of like an eye. In a standard deck of cards the jack of hearts and jack of spades are turned sideways so that you can only see one eye, so they are called "one eyed jacks". So we have a one eyed jackknife with hearts and spades on it, just like the one eyed jacks in a deck of cards.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:45 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
The name is a play on words. It's a jack patterned knife. The Spyderco hole looks kind of like an eye. In a standard deck of cards the jack of hearts and jack of spades are turned sideways so that you can only see one eye, so they are called "one eyed jacks". So we have a one eyed jackknife with hearts and spades on it, just like the one eyed jacks in a deck of cards.
Right!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I’d be in for one in plain Micarta, G-10, FRN, whatever. There’s just something about the design that speaks to me more than other knives in its size class. But, those scales just killed any interest I had in getting it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That A.T. Barr design and Spyderco’s execution is the thing. I like the file work a lot. Gives it special character and is the closest I will get to a custom folder in that regard. I think the white, contoured G10 suits the design perfectly and the inlays hold special meaning for me, so I like them. However, I do think that the subtle but so efficient design of blade and handle sets this knife apart in a very good way. So, having that available, minus the inlays and file work at a reasonable price would make this superb EDC gentleman’s folder available to more people, which would be “a beautiful thing”. (A tip o’the hat to Nick.)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:08 pm
That A.T. Barr design and Spyderco’s execution is the thing. I like the file work a lot. Gives it special character and is the closest I will get to a custom folder in that regard. I think the white, contoured G10 suits the design perfectly and the inlays hold special meaning for me, so I like them. However, I do think that the subtle but so efficient design of blade and handle sets this knife apart in a very good way. So, having that available, minus the inlays and file work at a reasonable price would make this superb EDC gentleman’s folder available to more people, which would be “a beautiful thing”. (A tip o’the hat to Nick.)
It sort of reminds me of the Walker collaboration, that might be part of it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN