What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by VashHash »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Same day, another - very different - location, still Endura... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20190730_104420.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cwoods

Post by cwoods »

20190903_081258.jpg
PM2 52100; PM2 K390; Para 3 Rex 45; Stretch 2 V-Toku2
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Chief again today.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Put these new Putnam grooved micarta scales on the Manix. They do look nice, and have a different feel to them...but I honestly don't think micarta is all it's been made out to be. I think based on all the hype I've seen and the cult following for the soon to be released Crucarta Shaman...I was expecting the scales to feel like pillows in my hand or something haha. They are a bit softer, but if not for the grooves in these particular scales, I don't see micarta feeling THAT much different than your standard G10 to warrant all this hype. Regardless, I do like them and adds a different element to my collection of knives/scales :)

Resized_20190918_100440.jpeg
Resized_20190918_100518.jpeg
Resized_20190918_100458.jpeg

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Looks nice.

I think one advantage of Micarta over G-10 is that Micarta - even when smooth and polished - due to the nature of its composition and construction, offers a more tactile grip, particularly when wet, than comparably finished G-10.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
anycal

Post by anycal »

Peter
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 am
Put these new Putnam grooved micarta scales on the Manix. They do look nice, and have a different feel to them...but I honestly don't think micarta is all it's been made out to be. I think based on all the hype I've seen and the cult following for the soon to be released Crucarta Shaman...I was expecting the scales to feel like pillows in my hand or something haha. They are a bit softer, but if not for the grooves in these particular scales, I don't see micarta feeling THAT much different than your standard G10 to warrant all this hype. Regardless, I do like them and adds a different element to my collection of knives/scales :)

Resized_20190918_100440.jpeg
Resized_20190918_100518.jpeg
Resized_20190918_100458.jpeg

Nice scales none-the-less
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Put these new Putnam grooved micarta scales on the Manix. They do look nice, and have a different feel to them...but I honestly don't think micarta is all it's been made out to be. I think based on all the hype I've seen and the cult following for the soon to be released Crucarta Shaman...I was expecting the scales to feel like pillows in my hand or something haha. They are a bit softer, but if not for the grooves in these particular scales, I don't see micarta feeling THAT much different than your standard G10 to warrant all this hype. Regardless, I do like them and adds a different element to
Sorry you don't love them more! I definitely prefer the look of micarta over g10, as well as the grip when wet, especially on a day like today when my hands are sweaty and covered in goopy medication and hoof mud dealing with an abscessed horse hoof. But for everyday use, I like g10 just fine as well.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:21 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Put these new Putnam grooved micarta scales on the Manix. They do look nice, and have a different feel to them...but I honestly don't think micarta is all it's been made out to be. I think based on all the hype I've seen and the cult following for the soon to be released Crucarta Shaman...I was expecting the scales to feel like pillows in my hand or something haha. They are a bit softer, but if not for the grooves in these particular scales, I don't see micarta feeling THAT much different than your standard G10 to warrant all this hype. Regardless, I do like them and adds a different element to
Sorry you don't love them more! I definitely prefer the look of micarta over g10, as well as the grip when wet, especially on a day like today when my hands are sweaty and covered in goopy medication and hoof mud dealing with an abscessed horse hoof. But for everyday use, I like g10 just fine as well.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely like them!! I guess I just thought the material was a bit softer or something. No regrets here, especially for the price after the discount at DLT. I guess I'll have to intentionally get my hands wet at home while using them! (I have to wear cut gloves at work) so I won't experience that kind of feel while working. When using at home, I certainly won't encounter THAT type of use you're going through today *barfs* hahaha

-Rick
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 am
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I definitely like them!! I guess I just thought the material was a bit softer or something. No regrets here, especially for the price after the discount at DLT. I guess I'll have to intentionally get my hands wet at home while using them! (I have to wear cut gloves at work) so I won't experience that kind of feel while working. When using at home, I certainly won't encounter THAT type of use you're going through today *barfs* hahaha

I think it depends on who made the micarta. My Delica scales from Suingab have a very soft feel to them, they are smooth though, and I’m sure that makes some difference. But even the milled spots for my design don’t feel plasticy like g10.
The denim “micarta” I made myself is softer feeling than the stuff on my Northwoods(GEC). And the stuff I made with fibreglass resin is softer feeling than the stuff made with superglue.
Different glues and different materials come out with a different feel. Also how they are finished, what final grit, polished or matte, sealed with some sort of top coat, wax or oil.
Also It will feel different after some use.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 am
JuPaul wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I think it depends on who made the micarta. My Delica scales from Suingab have a very soft feel to them, they are smooth though, and I’m sure that makes some difference. But even the milled spots for my design don’t feel plasticy like g10.
The denim “micarta” I made myself is softer feeling than the stuff on my Northwoods(GEC). And the stuff I made with fibreglass resin is softer feeling than the stuff made with superglue.
Different glues and different materials come out with a different feel. Also how they are finished, what final grit, polished or matte, sealed with some sort of top coat, wax or oil.
Also It will feel different after some use.
Yeah, I was going to add that as they wear down a bit and absorb oils from your skin I think they do feel softer sometimes. But these Putnam scales in question are softer out of the box than the micarta on my Esee's, I think.
- Julia

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

This masterpiece of design and engineering:

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

cwoods wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm
20190903_081258.jpg
You been lovin that one ain't ya? Wouldn't mind hearin about it... :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara