Knife opened in my pocket.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: Knife opened in my pocket.

Post by Tdog »

Some years ago I had a Para 2 open in my pocket. Only time it's happened and I always carry. Put a nice clean slice in my work pants. Fortunate no cut. Glad you're ok Bloke.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Had it happen on my Caribbean not long ago. Made me sell all my Caribbean's. The detent was noticeably weaker on them, but I never thought it would open up until it did.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Monty wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:51 am
The Ikuchi can be made fairly safe with the Nick Shabazz mod.

https://youtu.be/la_Spi3ujKU
Lol, but you will still get Ikuchi finger with it shut!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

This is a fascinating thread. I am intrigued by the reports of backlocks like the Delica and Ladybug opening spontaneously in a pocket. I often carry a clipless Delica in my RFP next to my keys and always feel very safe because of the strong closing bias. I believe the reports here and am curious to learn the mechanics that caused these incidents. Not a lot of security cameras inside people’s pockets, unfortunately.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:53 am
ok 4 i found. i am at work as well just skimming through it. thought there were a few more tho.

james Y had a rookie
mushroom had a ladybug
evil d had a ladybug
zuludelta had a delica 4
Thanks again for counting and listing! As you know, I am a huge backlock fan and believer, but I have to admit: That´s a bit surprising indeed!

Can´t fully explain it, tbh.

- One reason could be, that very many people carry backlocks, so the reports of opening of such in the pocket are more likely just statistically than with other locks. But still, it really should not happen in my view and experience, and I am still surprised
- I never handled either rookie or ladybug, so theoretically it could be, that just THEIR specific backlocks are somehow "weaker" than I am used to, but, no, I don´t believe that to be true either.
- I also don´t believe, that such obviously experienced knife people as the one you listed, had something wrong with the actions of their knives, so this too just can´t be the reason
- One thing that I maybe could see being an issue with backlocks: While they are way less likely to actually OPEN in the pocket, maybe they are more prone to not being FULLY CLOSED due to pocket lint or other stuff "blocking" the lock (and so not being fully CLOSED in the first place)? Just guessing here, though.

Still, alone just by construction and mechanism a backlock HAS to be safer in pocket than other, detent based locks... and it would "close itself" again normally due to the spring tension, IF it somehow opened a bit.

But, as said, I am surprised and can fully understand that you question the statements (of which I myself made some) saying that backlocks are much safer in the pocket than other locks (though I am still 100 % convinced that this is true).

So, my friend, you have a point here and our interesting lock discussions will go on... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 pm
This is a fascinating thread. I am intrigued by the reports of backlocks like the Delica and Ladybug opening spontaneously in a pocket. I often carry a clipless Delica in my RFP next to my keys and always feel very safe because of the strong closing bias. I believe the reports here and am curious to learn the mechanics that caused these incidents. Not a lot of security cameras inside people’s pockets, unfortunately.
Hey Bill, I’m as surprised as anyone to learn that a modern well engineered back lock would open in a pocket and sitting here playing with my little Ladybug and Delica I’m bamboozled.

You know anything about poltergeist, mate? :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:40 am
I have thought about using rubber bands like this before Bloke, but it defeats the purpose of carrying a one hand open (and close) knife! :confused:
Hey Brock, not to mention a little awkward getting in and out of pockets. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I had a Kershaw Leek come open in my pocket once.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have never had a Spyderco open in my pocket.

I can't for the life of me figure out how it could. I carry one in my pocket every day, while doing stupidly physical jobs. There is no conceivable way it could open while clipped to my pocket.

I had one open on it's own after it was dropped on the ground once, but that's it.

If you get cut by your knife, you made a mistake. The knife didn't.
Blaming the knife for you getting cut is like blaming the gun for a murder.

As a kid, I once cut myself with a shotgun...
All I got was "Toughen up, buttercup!" from my grandfather.

So... TOUGHEN UP, BUTTERCUPS!
:D
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 pm
I was wearing a pair of knee length shorts...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I could see how a compression lock, for example, might open in a pocket; while I wouldn't say that any of mine have a weak detent, they do open with a more "light touch" than do my back lock knives. It could happen--and clearly does.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 am
- One thing that I maybe could see being an issue with backlocks: While they are way less likely to actually OPEN in the pocket, maybe they are more prone to not being FULLY CLOSED due to pocket lint or other stuff "blocking" the lock (and so not being fully CLOSED in the first place)? Just guessing here, though.
This is the only reason I've had a Spyderco folder (very, very, very rarely) open in my pocket, detent-based lock or otherwise (as I mentioned previously, I've had it happen with a Para 3 & a Delica 4). Which I suppose lands it in the "operator error" category rather than an inherent flaw in the specific lock design--there is always the possibility of something getting in there & preventing the locking mechanism from being fully engaged, whether on the opening action or on the closing action.

In any case, while it is something I keep in mind--I will blow air through my folder every now & then before closing it & putting it back in my pocket--the risk of a knife opening in-pocket is not something I am overly worried about as far as manual-opening Spyderco-made folders are concerned & it is a relative non-issue for me.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for asking. I’ve been hanging out with traditional slip joints for quite some time but I have sorely missed my Rhino. After long reflection about my personal favorite Spyderco it came down to the Rhino once again. So I have one on order and it will also give me the opportunity to spend more time on the forum and put forth my opinions on most everything, LOL.
As far as my cancer is concerned, last week I finished my eighth round of chemotherapy, which pretty much kicked my *** however that was the last one. Hopefully the little cancer monsters will behave themselves for a while and I’ll have some decent health and peace and quiet from all that. I am just taking it as it comes and try to enjoy each day as much as possible.
See you on the forms
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:25 am
Bloke wrote:
I was wearing a pair of knee length shorts...
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 am
I have never had a Spyderco open in my pocket.

I can't for the life of me figure out how it could. I carry one in my pocket every day, while doing stupidly physical jobs. There is no conceivable way it could open while clipped to my pocket.

I had one open on it's own after it was dropped on the ground once, but that's it.

If you get cut by your knife, you made a mistake. The knife didn't.
Blaming the knife for you getting cut is like blaming the gun for a murder.

As a kid, I once cut myself with a shotgun...
All I got was "Toughen up, buttercup!" from my grandfather.

So... TOUGHEN UP, BUTTERCUPS!
:D
Fair enough, guy. :)

I had very similar views too up until Saturday morning just gone. Now, not so much. ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This seems to be restricted to locking knives that depend on a certain detent force to prevent the blade from pivoting. Too little force, and the blade will drop free by gravity. Too much and it won’t move much at all under force. Makers seek that sweet spot between safety and ease of opening.

Some external force has to be applied to overcome the detent on a properly closed knife. This can happen when the knife is placed or clipped not a pocket and in some instanced may do so unrecognized by the user. It can also happen whilst the knife is being carried clipped or free. Obviously depends on the knife and circumstance. Each instance may well be different from any others. Cleaning, clip position, orientation don’t seem to make any difference.

The only relatively sure way is to carry the knife in a sheath or pocket slip. Or, carry a slip joint.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Glad you escaped unscathed Alex!

I once had a knife I was carrying IWB open up. Luckily no damage to self or clothing. I realized then that carrying a detent-based lock knife IWB was a dumb idea. :rolleyes:
Never had a problem in my pocket though.

One way to solve this problem conclusively would be to get a knife that locks in the closed position, like an Opinel...
...or an Autonomy 2. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Or discard the clip for a clipped sheath.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It’s slightly ironic that my Spyderco Friction Folder might be the safest to carry (being sheathed)!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Saturday morning was sunny and warm but a little too windy to go fishing or anything so I grabbed a book to read under our mango tree with a cup of coffee. I was wearing a pair of knee length shorts with cargo pants style pockets with button down flaps and noticed a length of thread hanging from a pocket so grabbed the closest knife handy off the side board in the kitchen, S30V Military.

I went outside cut the thread off my right hand pocket and slipped the knife into it unclipped and obviously tip up. I sat and read for a while and when I went back inside I lifted the flap on my pocket to retrieve the knife and was quite surprised and a little shocked to find the knife was open, at very least a couple of inches. :eek: I didn’t cut myself or anything but that was more good luck than good judgement I reckon.

Anyhow, this is the first time ever I’ve had a knife open in my pocket and for the life of me can’t understand how or why the knife would and did open. At best all I would have done was cross and uncross my legs sitting in a chair reading.

Quite bizarre and a bit of an eye opener for me and I’d be interested to hear of any similar experiences.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050