Knives I wish I had bought two of

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Knives I wish I had bought two of

Post by Doc Dan »

Hindsight is 2020. There are some knives but I wish I had bought two of when they were still in production. One is the Manix 2 back lock and the other is the urban light weight K390.

What knives do you regret not buying a second?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Monty

Re: Knives I wish I had bought two of

Post by Monty »

Partially serrated delica and endura with wave.

Regret not even buying one Pygmy Warrior or Massad Ayoob.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wish I bought a second all black PPT Perrin Sprint run! Probably would’ve liked to have a second Lil Nilakka as well! There are others, but those two come to mind right away.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

C95. Never thought it'd get cut so soon. The 2 XL is nice but the original was nice in a different way.
:unicorn
jdw

Post by jdw »

Urban K390 for sure. I gave mine to a friend and I didn't try to replace it in time. KW S90V Military is a good choice. I sold it, immediately regretted it, and it was too late to grab another one.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have lost track of the number of knives I have purchased after getting one falling in love with it then purchasing a backup. Until..... the next interesting model of Spyderco comes out...

At some point after thousands of dollars gone I realized a couple of things.

1. Having so many Spyderco’s and keeping them in rotation for EDC means they will likely all outlive me unless I loose one.

2. What am I doing filling a good size safety deposit box with expensive knives here? For what purpose?

3. This left me with the only logical conclusion which was to sell the duplicates and also the ones I never carry.

4. Outcome no more trying to forecast the future, get a new knife and EDC it for two weeks and use nothing else if after two weeks it is still available go for another two weeks and then if it is still that good get a backup.

Only problem I see with this is the new lousy distribution model of limited production numbers and slow to none existent rereleases of even production models like the Smock and Spydiechef.

Which is okay because at some level that actually makes me feel better about not being party to the hurry up and buy environment Spyderco has created in 2019 with their new business model and that if their vendors.

Their business and collaborations are their business and I am glad it works for them if it does but no thanks, this fish has slipped the hook.

It’s what I call voting with my wallet in non participation.

So what is a person to do?

Well save your money and if it is really that great there is always the secondary market and no matter how much you may overpay for that one model you will not come close to the amount of money lost trying to forecast your future I wish I had two of these knives feelings.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 am
I have lost track of the number of knives I have purchased after getting one falling in love with it then purchasing a backup. Until..... the next interesting model of Spyderco comes out...

At some point after thousands of dollars gone I realized a couple of things.

1. Having so many Spyderco’s and keeping them in rotation for EDC means they will likely all outlive me unless I loose one.

2. What am I doing filling a good size safety deposit box with expensive knives here? For what purpose?

3. This left me with the only logical conclusion which was to sell the duplicates and also the ones I never carry.

4. Outcome no more trying to forecast the future, get a new knife and EDC it for two weeks and use nothing else if after two weeks it is still available go for another two weeks and then if it is still that good get a backup.

Only problem I see with this is the new lousy distribution model of limited production numbers and slow to none existent rereleases of even production models like the Smock and Spydiechef.

Which is okay because at some level that actually makes me feel better about not being party to the hurry up and buy environment Spyderco has created in 2019 with their new business model and that if their vendors.

Their business and collaborations are their business and I am glad it works for them if it does but no thanks, this fish has slipped the hook.

It’s what I call voting with my wallet in non participation.

So what is a person to do?

Well save your money and if it is really that great there is always the secondary market and no matter how much you may overpay for that one model you will not come close to the amount of money lost trying to forecast your future I wish I had two of these knives feelings.
Dang. I'm scared that makes sense to me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've wised up and bought two of many recent models that I really liked. My bigger problem is that I skipped out on other models and didn't get them while I (easily) could. I definitely need to pay closer attention to the discontinued list each year.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

I wish I would have bought a second St Nicks Delica. When they went down to $155 I used a coupon code to get one for $138 and wished I would have purchased a second. I don't keep up with Delica's (my wife has 5-6 for her EDC rotation), but didn't realize a Delica with a black blade is rare. It is her favorite Delica now and she got scared she lost it a few days ago.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

My want list is too large to tie up funds 2x in the exact same knife. I do have multiples in a few models, but they're in different steels. There's always a newer something coming along that tickles the wanter.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

rarely do i have identical multiples of the same knife. i did pick up a few more Southards when they were discontinued, but i eventually sold those as i moved away from framelocks. now i only have the one.

i've never bought two of a knife at the same time before but i'm planning on breaking that rule for the cruwear micarta shaman.....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

A 52100 Military sprint is my most carried Spyderco and boy do I wish I had a backup. The little brother-PM2 I have stashed will just have to do for now.
archangel

Post by archangel »

40th anniversary N5 :rolleyes:

I'd sell the second and would STILL have one grail Damasteel beauty.... :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 am
Hindsight is 2020. There are some knives but I wish I had bought two of when they were still in production. One is the Manix 2 back lock and the other is the urban light weight K390.

What knives do you regret not buying a second?
Sent you a pm about somewhere that still has both in stock.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Since I am avoiding the steady accumulation of knives that comes with unchecked acquisition doubles make zero sense to me. That duplicate is taking up a slot I can put a different knife in.

There’s always something cool coming next. Save room.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sage 2. Wish I'd bought 3, rather than one.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I guess I haven't found one I like that much. They're all great and there is something special and different about each one, be it steel, handle, design, etc.

I tend to agree with zhyla on this. Having a limited fund for knives means that I would rather use that money for a new design, or steel, than for a duplicate knife to just put in the safe; although I can understand this if one is talking of a discontinued model, or Sprint Run, or something of that sort.

Now having said that, I think I have come pretty close to finding the ultimate knife for me in the Autonomy 2. What an outstanding design, flawlessly executed!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Original Manix
Original Yojimbo
Dodo
Barong
Khukri

Kicker is I did buy multiples of the first three I just ended up having to sell during the recession. Learned my lesson on that one and as a rule if I want it I just buy two, now.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Wish I'd bought another Caly 3 Damascus with bolster. A beautiful knife. My wife loves it.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Two Slsyz Bowies. One to beat up and one to keep nice. Now I have one that can't be either lol.

I need to get a Spydiechef before those go away. I'd sure hate if something happens with mine.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!