Upcoming Tenacious Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Upcoming Tenacious Lightweight

Post by Ez556 »

I haven’t seen anything on this and I’m surprised. I looked at the Reveal section of the app and I noticed a few recently added models. The straight spine Stretch ($145) and Cruwear/Micarta Shaman ($320) were both on there which I’ve seen conversation on already before they popped up on there, but I saw something I didn’t expect which was the Tenacious Lightweight ($65). I haven’t heard anything about this prior to seeing it in the reveal, and I can’t find anything about it online other than a few “Would you like to see this?” threads on this forum. Has this been totally under wraps until now? Has anyone seen it at any shows or anything? I’m curious if they did the liner lock in the same way they did the compression lock on the Para3 LW with a single steel leaf or if it will have one full liner on the lock side or just two nested liners like on the Endura, Delica etc. I’m generally not too crazy about the Chinese models, but this really caught my attention, especially at the price point.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
SG89

Re: Upcoming Tenacious Lightweight

Post by SG89 »

The description says full skeletonized liners and the map price is $42.25. I am looking forward to this model.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Judging by the weight, I'd say full liners. If not, that's some heavy frn. Weight savings of only 10% are mostly negligible, so the main benefit here will be lower cost and possibly better grip from the frn scales over g10. For reference the para3 lw is 30% lighter than the regular p3.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I does say that, totally missed it! I still wonder if they would be nested or not, I would assume so based on the Seki lightweights and the Chaparral that got the LW treatment. I look forward to seeing what it looks like with Bi-directional texturing. I am really fond of the pattern and think it’ll look sharp on the Tenacious, no pun intended!
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Is this the first implementation of a linerlock with FRN in a 'standard form factor', by Spyderco? I only know or the squarehead and cricket in FRN with a linerlock.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm actually kind of surprised there hasn't been an frn Tenacious sooner given how popular the model is. I'll probably still end up with a lw para 3 variation over this one, but I bet it'll do well.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:48 am
The description says full skeletonized liners and the map price is $42.25. I am looking forward to this model.
At that price, I predict that this will be a home run for Spyderco. I'm looking forward to seeing the entire budget line get the LW treatment. And in my wildest dreams, get upgraded to BD1n. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

wow, didn't expect this! can't wait. i love the Tenacious and have been wishing for an FRN version. this will see a ton of pocket time for me.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 am
Is this the first implementation of a linerlock with FRN in a 'standard form factor', by Spyderco? I only know or the squarehead and cricket in FRN with a linerlock.
None that I know of. But I have a less than encyclopedic knowledge of models.

All of the frn folders I can think of are slip joints or back locks. And the meerkat which is a weird lock whose name I can't remember. Phantom lock?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Enactive wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:25 am
Yes this is the first "full size" FRN linerlock spydie. I am curious to see the actual pattern of the frn bi-directional texturing... This is the first Chinese made Spyderco (non-Byrd) in FRN. I hope it looks like the Golden or Taichung pattern over the Japanese pattern
Spydergirl88
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
So is MAP pricing always just 35% off MSRP?
- Julia

SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Yes. It used to be 40% of MSRP but they changed it to 35% like 2 or 3 years ago.
Spydergirl88
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:58 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Yes
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thx!
- Julia

spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I'll buy one.Not because it's lighter,but because i prefer FRN to G10.And i hope they will come in colors.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Too soon to ask for a matching Resilience LW? :D Can't wait to pick up a few of the Tenacious LW. Probably will get one of each (PE, SE, CE).
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I personally am happy to see it’s described as having a “four position clip” rather than a “deep carry pocket clip” because while I love the wire clip, in my experience it’s less durable than the hourglass clip on a normal Tenacious. I do like the clip configuration on the G10 model with the hole surrounding the pivot or lanyard hole as well, it seems a good robust choice for an “entry” knife that will likely see good abuse.
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

This sum my thoughts.

I dont really like detent based locks, but this piece in FRN.....hmmm.....Maybe I will buy it.
I wonder what the base colour will be....I hope for something else then black....maybe green, dark blue or dark red......

But maybe I will buy the straight spine Stretch......
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’ve always liked the Tenacious. It’s a well-designed, inexpensive, and sturdily constructed knife. So I was a little excited to see an FRN version revealed.

But a little perplexed at this once I dug into it. It’s only a a little bit lighter than the G-10 version because it retains the massive steel liners. Other than the FRN texturing this appears to be the same exact knife. Maybe that’s worth it but... the G-10 works just fine for me.

That said, FRN handled models make a lot of sense for high volume models. I’ve always wondered why the Chinese models were all G-10.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

might end up with significant cost savings based on manufacturing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!