Slipjoint mod Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rwasham

Re: Slipjoint mod Para 3

Post by rwasham »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:41 pm
rwasham wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Very interesting design....have you done anything similar for liner lock designs? I'm guessing the technology would not be terribly different. In any case, awesome!
I don't think a mod like this is possible on a liner lock. This mod fits into a cutout for the compression lock that doesn't exist on a liner lock. The compression lock is not simply a liner lock on the back of the knife, it operates very differently compared to a liner lock.

:spyder:
Looking at a liner lock, tenacious, that makes a lot of sense. Although, maybe the piece could fit into a knife in some other way, so as to disable the liner lock, but allow the detent to work? I'm not suggesting this would be the same design, but I'm not an engineer and I haven't come up with the alternative.
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

Really cool idea... I'd gladly purchase such a part in metal to install it when I travel to some countries (like Germany). For daily carry so far it's not a problem here in Poland.
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:35 pm
Hi DiRk,

I was checking with R&D and they said that the file did not come through and was not usable. Sorry i didn't check sooner. We'll have to do a better job. Can I get you to resend the file?

Send to:

Sglesser@spyderco.com and to
Peterj@spyderco.com

or send a disc or?

sal
Ok.. the file was send again to the email addresses.
Hopefully it will work now :)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx.

sal
NicoColt1911

Post by NicoColt1911 »

Mushroom wrote:
rwasham wrote:
Very interesting design....have you done anything similar for liner lock designs? I'm guessing the technology would not be terribly different. In any case, awesome!
I don't think a mod like this is possible on a liner lock. This mod fits into a cutout for the compression lock that doesn't exist on a liner lock. The compression lock is not simply a liner lock on the back of the knife, it operates very differently compared to a liner lock.

The principle works with every lock IMO. An UK knife shop e.g. asked an Italian knife company for an UK legal version of their Blade Knife of the Year Award winning frame lock flipper some time ago. The initial idea was to change the blade and keep the frame with the frame lock: They asked to remove the flipper and to extend the rear of the blade adding an extra detent. In the end the Italian knife company opted to change the handle / frame as well to prevent people from thinking that the knife is broken because the lock won't engage. Nevertheless, the initial idea would have worked just fine without doubt.

This concept here is basically the same but allows for subsequent (and reversible) modification.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

NicoColt1911 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Mushroom wrote:
rwasham wrote:

The principle works with every lock IMO. An UK knife shop e.g. asked an Italian knife company for an UK legal version of their Blade Knife of the Year Award winning frame lock flipper some time ago. The initial idea was to change the blade and keep the frame with the frame lock: They asked to remove the flipper and to extend the rear of the blade adding an extra detent. In the end the Italian knife company opted to change the handle / frame as well to prevent people from thinking that the knife is broken because the lock won't engage. Nevertheless, the initial idea would have worked just fine without doubt.

This concept here is basically the same but allows for subsequent (and reversible) modification.
Right. So like I said, this mod isn't possible on a liner lock.

Of course the concept can work with any detent based lock, but making a new blade is vastly different than making a small part that fits into a slot in the blade.
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi diRK,

Drawing received. We made apart in plastic which we're currently checking out. Next we'll make a steel part for testing. Then, who knows?

Is anyone here interested in getting this part?

sal
PStone

Post by PStone »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:06 pm
Hi diRK,

Drawing received. We made apart in plastic which we're currently checking out. Next we'll make a steel part for testing. Then, who knows?

sal
Have been anxiously watching this thread to see what happens. I would buy such a part.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

If I had a no lock restriction where I lived I’d be all over this idea!
At first I was thinking it would be better to just incorporate the idea into a new blade for those places. But then I thought this is even better as Spyderco could send them out with it in place thereby complying with local laws, and the user could choose to pop it out if they desired.
I know here in Canada we can carry pretty much anything other than autos, butterfly or gravity knives. No length or lock restrictions. However they have chosen to make importing perfectly legal to carry knives, difficult as of late. Who knows what their next step will be?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

sal wrote:
Hi diRK,

sal
Hi Sal,
thanks for the update. Nice to hear you were already able to made this part out of plastic.

If you read the whole thread you will notice that there a several people who are interested in such a part.
I think offering this part as an accessories would be great.

Curious how the the steel part will be looking and working :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If I was living just a few miles more to the north and by that in Germany (with its crazy knife-laws) and not in Austria (great knife laws), and if a similar mod was available for backlocks, I´d absolutely want it.

As a matter of fact, If I was living in Germany and just had the choice to carry a "slip-joint-modded" comp. lock knife legally or a regular backlock illegally, though I´d still prefer backlocks, I´d probably additionally own comp. lock knives (Shaman and Caribbean?) and would attach that part if need´d be...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:
Hi diRK,

sal
Yes! I reckon all the guys/girls in the SpydercoUK FB community would be pretty keen, as well.
Coffeetron

Post by Coffeetron »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 am
If I was living just a few miles more to the north and by that in Germany (with its crazy knife-laws) and not in Austria (great knife laws), and if a similar mod was available for backlocks, I´d absolutely want it.

As a matter of fact, If I was living in Germany and just had the choice to carry a "slip-joint-modded" comp. lock knife legally or a regular backlock illegally, though I´d still prefer backlocks, I´d probably additionally own comp. lock knives (Shaman and Caribbean?) and would attach that part if need´d be...
Its not looking good for the Germans...
https://youtu.be/CG8dPPJb3z4
https://knife-blog.com/verschaerfung-de ... ur-messer/

tl;dr
some politicians proposed to make the knife carry law even stricter prohibiting any kind of assisted opening among other things
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coffeetron wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 am

Its not looking good for the Germans...
https://youtu.be/CG8dPPJb3z4
https://knife-blog.com/verschaerfung-de ... ur-messer/

tl;dr
some politicians proposed to make the knife carry law even stricter prohibiting any kind of assisted opening among other things
MAN!! I am so sad for my German neighbours (and, can´t deny it, so glad that I am living in Austria...). Though the worst thing here in my view is the even further restriction concerning fixed blades...(for non-German-speakers: They plan to make the law as such you are not allowed to carry any fixed blade with a blade longer than 6 cm (2.36 inches) as far as I understand. So even an "Enough" would be way too long. That´s just crazy and sad).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

Yes, it is really sad that they (the government) are trying to make to laws even stricter.
But all these planned changes doesn't effect my mod in any way, so the demand for it will even increase ;)

A Folder which can be opened one handed and doesn't lock will be furthermore legal, even if the blade length is over 6cm.
So just carry a non locking folder and everything will be fine :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

diRk_262 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 am
Yes, it is really sad that they (the government) are trying to make to laws even stricter.
But all these planned changes doesn't effect my mod in any way, so the demand for it will even increase ;)

A Folder which can be opened one handed and doesn't lock will be furthermore legal, even if the blade length is over 6cm.
So just carry a non locking folder and everything will be fine :)
Sure you´re right. But I´d just hate being forced to carry a non-locking-folder,though there may be good ones indeed.
But again, I am living very close to the German border,but still and luckily (concerning laws) in Austria, so I can carry whatever I want.

But, you know, living so close to the border and Germany and Austria being close neighbour countries with VERY similar cultures shows even more how crazy and useless the strict German laws are: Just consider: Do we have more crimes with pocket knives involved here in Austria (very generous knife laws) compared to Germany (very strict knife laws)?? Absolutely NOT.
So WHY??, just why?? ...
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Governments will always use the crimes of the few to increase their control over the many.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kwakster wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 am
Governments will always use the crimes of the few to increase their control over the many.
I somehow just don´t want to believe that, but am afraid you could be right... :o
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:17 am
kwakster wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 am
I somehow just don´t want to believe that, but am afraid you could be right... :o
He’s exactly right. All governments seek to expand their reach. The only way to stop it is a pretty ugly process.
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

Anything new about the steel part, sal ? :D