How low do you go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

How low do you go?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Finally returned to my project of dropping a Military in CTS-204P down to 12 degrees per side using my wicked edge pro with a digital angle cube.

No guesswork here.

To make this work I had to remove the extra plastic from the paddles so it will get in tight where Spyderco stops the blade.

Then had to use the low angle kit with longer rods.

Lol this will take a while.

So how low have you guys gone verifiably with measuring tools on a Millie?

https://imgur.com/a/YG0LoCz
ED0C9689-0913-4412-9AD9-999EF0786B5B.jpeg
Jazz

Re: How low do you go?

Post by Jazz »

I freehand to roughly 15° per side.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

About 17-20dps, lol! ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's a 204p Millie I dropped down free hand.

CPMD2 Military that was ground thinner than any other Millie I've seen posted online:

For most folders I go with around 10dps bevels with a 15dps microbevel.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Does the Police 4 count?

I took mine down to 9 ~10 dps.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

About 13dps on my S30V Military is about as low as I’ve gone. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 pm

CPMD2 Military that was ground thinner than any other Millie I've seen posted online:

Nice! Now that looks incredible! The CTS-204P looks like what I am seeing around 12 degrees each side so far.

How difficult did you find this steel to deep reprofile it does not seem as resistant as my 10 Degree S90V Military project still a Work In progress but I swear it shall not thwart me!!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I take both my Spydercos to 17 degrees off the flat grind. Since I use my knife for serious work, I'm cognizant of the diminished strength of steeper angles. But even more important, a shallower angle diminishes the aesthetic appeal of an otherwise pretty knife. For me, it makes no sense to go steeper.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 pm
I take both my Spydercos to 17 degrees off the flat grind. Since I use my knife for serious work, I'm cognizant of the diminished strength of steeper angles. But even more important, a shallower angle diminishes the aesthetic appeal of an otherwise pretty knife. For me, it makes no sense to go steeper.
The more obtuse edges do look better, but the thinned out ones are surprisingly tough.

Here's a Manix XL in "chippy" S30V

Here's that Manix chopping, batoning, cutting and stabbing with no perceptible reduction in sharpness:

https://youtu.be/hl3n-BtLoaI

Now I'm not trying to say my edges would work better for you, just trying to show that thinned out edges can still hold up to some rougher use.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Nice! Now that looks incredible! The CTS-204P looks like what I am seeing around 12 degrees each side so far.

How difficult did you find this steel to deep reprofile it does not seem as resistant as my 10 Degree S90V Military project still a Work In progress but I swear it shall not thwart me!!
I found 204p grinds pretty fast for the kind of steel it is. It held an edge better than S30V/VG10, got very sharp, but wasn't as much of a pain to grind as 110V and S90V.

I think 204p is one of the best balanced super steels. I miss that Military, even if I've found other models that work better for me. It's such a nice design.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I don't have a Military, but I sharpened my HAP40 Endura at 20° inclusive with a 30° inclusive micro bevel. No issues so far, but I'm not too rough on my folders.

This may be the best pic I have on hand of the edge.

rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

15dps if i can freehand( i am bad at it) or sharpmaker
when my kme gets in 17dps will be the other angle.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Recently I screwed up my Cruwear Delica cutting aquarium plants not realizing they have wire in them.

This caused some pretty good plastic deformation of the blade but no chips.

To repair this I put it on the WEP3 but went conservative at 15 DPS. Started at 600 Grit which works great for Cruwear no need to go lower, and finished at .5 microns.

This knife now cuts better than when it was new out of the box. It constantly amazes me how much more I can get out of any blade with this sharpener. I am talking push cutting telephone book paper without snags sharp!

After reading what ViVi wrote I think I am going to try to get this one down to 10 Degrees if I can finagle the low angle adapter just right.

Despite all the free advertisement I seem to be doing I do not recommend this sharpener it is far to expensive and requires too many overpriced add ones to get into the really low angles, ouch expensive rabbit hole this one!

It does work precisely though :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well ViVi you encouraged me now going to 10 degrees and realize my 100 grit paddles are shot, the 200 Grit sides are cutting better.

That re-profile down to 10 Degrees using the Hapstone 7 on S90V military really took allot out of these Wicked Edge paddles wow!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Whoa now that's a bevel!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

My brother (JoshuaJ, doesn't post much here anymore) took the first M4 Millie down to something like ~9 degrees, with a slight convex up to 12 at the edge. Verified with a laser goinometer. It's too low for the knife/steel IMO so I added a 15° apex when I traded him for it, but obviously it's still very thin behind the edge.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 pm
My brother (JoshuaJ, doesn't post much here anymore) took the first M4 Millie down to something like ~9 degrees, with a slight convex up to 12 at the edge. Verified with a laser goinometer. It's too low for the knife/steel IMO so I added a 15° apex when I traded him for it, but obviously it's still very thin behind the edge.
I bet that's fun to use on materials that geometry can handle. That D2 Military was ugly with that huge bevel but it was perfect for cardboard etc.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

10dps works great for most steels when used with a micro bevel. I'm not the authority on "hard use" or anything but people here know my knives see some abuse, usually inadvertently, and I'll say 10dps really helps with performance without sacrificing much toughness. I've taken a 204p millie and chopped at a sharply cornered piece of hardwood and chipped a ~17dps edge. Nothing is invincible. I like taking some knives to 10dps just so future sharpenings are easier. Even if I don't micro and just sharpen at 15dps, the 10dps bevel remains and functions as a transition bevel, increasing cutting performance and making future sharpenings much faster. It's almost like you've decreased the bte measurement (maybe you get 50% of the benefit) in that it takes less force to cut through large media (rubber floor mats, carpet, etc). If you're not microbeveling and just back beveling/transition beveling like I just described, you could go 5dps or any very acute angle without hurting apex toughness much. Think if you reground a knife at 3dps and put a 15dps micro. Yes, that edge would be a bit fragile in comparison to average geometries we use. But if you kept sharpening at 15dps, gradually turning that micro bevel into a regular bevel, it would become extremely strong (exponentially with each sharpening). Eventually it would be strong enough for anyone's needs. Things like this are worth experimenting with IMO. Try it on a knife you aren't in love with. See how it looks, see how it performs. You may be surprised.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I guess the only way to get tall wide bevels is to hold the degree you want and keep grinding away. Is this correct?

What are you guys using to husk off large amount of steel? Wicked edge pro stones at $75.00 are a bit expensive in my opinion seems like there should be a more affordable option than blowing these stones reprofiling S90V and the like.