A question or two about the Li'l Temperance 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

A question or two about the Li'l Temperance 3

Post by zuludelta »

So, I'm seriously considering a Li'l Temperance 3 for future purchase. Generally, I value design & functionality over outright materials cost: i.e., I don't mind paying as much or more for a knife that fits my hand & use-needs relative to a knife that may be built from more expensive materials but doesn't work as well for me.

That being said, the Li'l Temp 3 is priced about double the maximum of what I would normally spend for a work knife (the "Seki City Surcharge" in full effect), so in this case, build materials matter a lot more than they normally do for me. So, questions for those who have the Li'l Temperance 3:

• Does it have phosphor-bronze washers or teflon washers? (I know functionally the latter works more or less just as well as the former, but if I'm paying that much for a knife, it better have PB washers in there)
  • How is the detent on the compression lock? How does it compare to that of the Yojimbo 2 (my favourite expression of the compression lock)?
Thanks in advance for any & all responses :)
swigert

Re: A question or two about the Li'l Temperance 3

Post by swigert »

Compression lock on mine is not as smooth as golden models. My blade doesn’t fall free
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

zuludelta wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:46 pm
So, I'm seriously considering a Li'l Temperance 3 for future purchase. Generally, I value design & functionality over outright materials cost: i.e., I don't mind paying as much or more for a knife that fits my hand & use-needs relative to a knife that may be built from more expensive materials but doesn't work as well for me.

That being said, the Li'l Temp 3 is priced about double the maximum of what I would normally spend for a work knife (the "Seki City Surcharge" in full effect), so in this case, build materials matter a lot more than they normally do for me. So, questions for those who have the Li'l Temperance 3:

• Does it have phosphor-bronze washers or teflon washers? (I know functionally the latter works more or less just as well as the former, but if I'm paying that much for a knife, it better have PB washers in there)
  • How is the detent on the compression lock? How does it compare to that of the Yojimbo 2 (my favourite expression of the compression lock)?
Thanks in advance for any & all responses :)
Hi Zulu -

I'm 97% sure that it does have PB washers.. I haven't carried mine in a few weeks, but I can double-check when I get home tonight..

The action on mine, while stiff, is very smooth, if that makes any sense.. the blade opens and closes with relative ease, but it does not drop-shut like some of the Golden/Taichung offerings. The detent is pretty crisp.. enough so that I can "Spydie flick" the blade without issue if I want to (though, this isn't how I normally open my knives).

Overall, it is a very well-designed and well-made knife.. a highly functional little workhorse. I love mine and consider it among my favorite Spydercos. If you truly value design and functionality as you say, I think you will really enjoy this knife. But, I understand where you're coming from on the price.. I agree, it's pretty steep. For what you're getting, I think it's probably worth the cost, but I get why this knife is not especially popular at $211.

Check out the LT3 at Cutlery Shoppe.. I think you will be pleased.. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

It has phosphor-bronze washers. The detent is also perfect and not weak at all. Like the other reply said, you will not get it to drop free like a PM2. The only thing I dislike is the clip is very tight, which appears to be because it sits down into the divot in the G10. I need to use 2 hands to clip it on my pocket. Maybe you can bend it slightly to make it weaker but I haven't tried that.

Oh, the CutleryShoppe price is still $147.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

Well described by others already...I would describe the detent as snappy. Very deliberate in such a way that you know it's open (or closed) by the sound and feel. It's one of the knives that I could probably open/close in the dark, while upside down with my hands behind my back.

The blade is always where you want/expect it to be. Different than a glass-smooth action. I have come to appreciate that with this model. The detent is very similar to the Yo2 in my opinion. The action does have more friction that the Yo2, but by no means is that a bad thing. Tight tolerances, built to perform and good in the hand.

The blade is held securely in place, and opens quickly regardless of how you deploy. I like to open mine with my thumb, and this design is one of the few that I close instinctively by using my index finger on the lock tab and my thumb in the hole.

I'll use mine today...thanks for your post...it reminded me how much I enjoy mine.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Thanks for all the detailed responses guys!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I agree with what was said above.
I didn’t have any issue with my pocket clip.
This is designed as a self defense knife. The blade is thicker than say a pm2. It’s not designed to be a thin behind the edge slicer but it will cut.
The compression lock in mine is really nice in that it has a short but firm travel to disengage. The lock tab is also a bit protected by the g10. It does not drop closed. It is very smooth. If you needed to defend yourself, it would seem that this knife would not let you down. It would not accidentally close on you. That being said, as an edc, it’s very nice and I like it. Fits the hand really well too.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The only reason I didn't get one is the Caribbean. It's essentially everything I like about Lil Temp 3 but also bigger and serrated.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David