Collectors club for the rest of us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Collectors club for the rest of us?

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 pm
allhatnocattle wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 pm
So in summary everyone just wants to buy or be guaranteed a chance to buy dealer exclusives. Without having to buy all the other production knives.
No, I don't think that's what the OP was saying at all. Doc's idea had nothing to do with purchasing at all, in fact the opposite. The idea is just to have an official club for people that collect spydercos but don't want to be part of the purchaser's club (or can't afford to be). Like joining the NRA, for example, doesn't mean you get first crack at any gun you want. It just means you're a gun enthusiast, and you pay dues to the organization to get their magazines, newsletters, attend their events, etc. I think he just wants something more official to designate him as a collector.
Nailed it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A bi-yearly newsletter could be published by the members with articles from knowledgeable people on this forum on steels, history, blade design, lock design, scales, and all sorts of Spyderco related stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Reminds me of LT Wright's club, a very cool club. Would be nice.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I think I understand what Doc is saying, but I am trying to wrap my head around why he is saying it.

I don't understand the "paranoia" about being labeled by law enforcement, which is kind of a crude way to say it. I figure we are all on some kind of "list" already for being on a knife forum. Would not being part of a club put me on another list? As I see it, if LE wants to label you, they will always be able to find a way to do it. Anyone who doesn't watch 4 hours of TV every day and go nuts for pro football has to be a weirdo, right? A buddy of mine was a police officer and used to brag that if he wanted to he could always find a reason to pull somebody over and/or cite them.

As far as a club, it doesn't have to be done by Spyderco. Anyone with the idea can start up a Spyderco enthusiast club. So if Doc feels inspired and motivated, he can pick up the ball and run with it! In a sense though, I feel that this forum is already "it" and I don't need a printed newsletter. That is so old school. ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Another plus is that it would give us membership in a cool club.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Start a club...."Dan's Spyderco Collectors Club". You could even start your own group on FB. Won't help you buy knives but you're still in a club. ;)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I'm a collector. I buy knives I want when I can. I hate the exclusives buy in the next 10 minutes deals and avoid them. However I have trouble getting Memorabilia etc. I can't get to the US shows so I am in awe of the things some get for free or pick up as bargains. I'd love to be a member of a club but understand that sending me things is expensive for Spyderco. I do have a friend in the US that sends me parcels though, if that would be an option, or maybe I just pay more.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
But it would certainly help me as a veteran and an ex pat living overseas to show that I am indeed a collector and not some nutcase.
You say that as if the two were mutually exclusive. If people want to paint you as a nutcase, being a member of a collector organization just makes you a card-carrying nutcase rather than a run-of-the-mill nutcase. If they can't understand your desire to possess these objects, they are unlikely to be moved by your membership in some club where other nutcases share your fetish. And I seriously doubt having some kind of manufacturer connection is going to help, either.

Personally, I'd rather save the dues to fund a knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:30 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am
But it would certainly help me as a veteran and an ex pat living overseas to show that I am indeed a collector and not some nutcase.
You say that as if the two were mutually exclusive. If people want to paint you as a nutcase, being a member of a collector organization just makes you a card-carrying nutcase rather than a run-of-the-mill nutcase. If they can't understand your desire to possess these objects, they are unlikely to be moved by your membership in some club where other nutcases share your fetish. And I seriously doubt having some kind of manufacturer connection is going to help, either.

Personally, I'd rather save the dues to fund a knife.
Hahaha. I understand your request doc but this post cracked me up. Mainly just because it was funny but it might also be the truest words in the thread. :p

No offense meant at all. The club idea is a fun one but like Yablanowitz, I can’t imagine that membership would help your case if the powers that be wanted to paint a dark picture of you. Who knows though, I’m often wrong about all kinds of things. :D
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I’ve known a few instances where being a member of an official collector organization kept people out of trouble.

All that aside, you guys are missing the entire point and focusing on the wrong thing.

Jupaul nailed it: The idea is just to have an official club for people that collect spydercos but don't want to be part of the purchaser's club (or can't afford to be). Like joining the NRA, for example, doesn't mean you get first crack at any gun you want. It just means you're a gun enthusiast, and you pay dues to the organization to get their magazines, newsletters, attend their events, etc. I think he just wants something more official to designate him as a collector.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
CIWknives

Post by CIWknives »

Sounds like you want the emerson collectors club, its a one time fee.
-Advanced notice and advanced purchases for upcoming models including our popular Signature Series and limited runs BEFORE
the general public.
-Eligibility to enter Custom Knife Lottery & Auctions where you will have a chance to purchase a Custom Knife directly from us
BEFORE they hit the secondary market. These events happen twice a year and are held virtually- for all those who cannot
make it to our live lotteries.
-A chance to own an official Collector’s Association Knife of the Year model.

-t-shirt
-Membership Certification with member #
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) Don’t worry Doc.

I’ve recently posted up my fixed blade collection and before that my ethnic collection. And if you look way back in the archives you will find a Rescue collection, a Endura collection and a Delica collection.

If you find all the links to those posts and save them.

So if people give you crap :mad: about your collection just show them the links and just tell them; :D “If you want crazy; have a look at this lunatic’s collection.” That should shut them up.

Well :rolleyes: about your collection anyway.

If you want to start a collector's group. Perhaps you could start it off simply with a post of something like “I’m a collector and these are some of my collection.”

:o See how many people join in.

Being a collector is not about how many you have, it is about the joy you get from the ones you have in your collection.
How much can a Koala bear?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I didn’t miss your point doc. I just thought Yablanowitz’s wording was kind of funny (whether it was meant that way or not). I get what you’re talking about and like I said, it’s a fun idea. :)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I felt like a member when I got my Spyderco metal spydie with my forum name on it.
763538E7-DBA6-4E89-8142-DC00ADD80211.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 am
I felt like a member when I got my Spyderco metal spydie with my forum name on it.

Where did you get that?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 am

Where did you get that?
From Spyderco. Was the blade show ID tag that was offered here. $15 IIRC

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79001&p=1226356&hilit=ID#p1226356
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.