Knives ruined...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Knives ruined...

Post by Albatross »

After seeing countless testimonials and endorsements, I lost the last shred of self-control remaining and finally purchased a Police 4.

The Police, in all it's forms, has caught my interest, but also repelled me for years. It looked "too big" and "too thin". At one point, I went through a tactical phase, an over-built phase, a small knife phase, and an impulsive purchasing frenzy phase. Nowhere in my knife loving journey, did the Police seem appealing enough.

Maybe it was the comments about how much better the Police 4 handle is than the Endura's. Maybe it was the absolutely gushing reviews of k390 given by several fellow forumites. Maybe it was just my inner knife junky, purchasing a knife to chase the new knife high. To be honest, I truly don't care what the reason was, the Police 4 and K390 are absolutely amazing.

The knife arrived less than sharp, due to a very prominent burr. A few minutes on a DMT fine diamond stone and a 1um strop, left the blade hair whittling sharp. My only goal was to eliminate the burr, but I had accidentally whittled hair. That's a first, I have always needed to work for it, with a progression of grits. Rex 45 and V-toku2 get seriously sharp, and with very little effort, but it seems like K390 took it even further, and with less sharpening steps. The 3 finger sharpness test was deceiving, since other blades FELT sharper, but were in fact less sharp. High carbide steels tend to have that effect, with the exception of S90V, which feels insanely sharp to the touch, at least for a high carbide steel. Edge retention is a topic I'm not able to comment on, until the blade has been sharpened a few times.

The size of the Police 4 may have been intimidating at first, IF there wasn't a Military in my collection. The Military seemed huge at one point, but now feels normal, and as a result, so does the Police 4. Larger blades definitely benefit from a choil, as it tends to make the knife SEEM smaller. Larger blades also benefit the most from a choil, since the added control is much more noticeable to me.

The blade shape and handle shape are superb, and work especially well together. Some blades work well, while the handle falls short, and vice versa, but this is not an issue for the P4. Ergonomically, the P4 is one of the best I've ever handled(no pun intended), and might even be the best for my hand.

The knife is thin, so it slides into the pocket with ease. This, combined with G10 that is not overly grippy, means pocket shredding will not be an issue. Don't mistake the term "thin" for hot spots or uncomfortable, because neither are true in my experiences.

The knife has what I refer to as "full steel liners". Meaning they are not nested, like the liners on typical Spyderco FRN models, but instead are exposed on the outer edges, sitting flush with the scales. Full steel liners and a steel back spacer give this knife a premium feel and help justify the high pricetag. One positive that is often overlooked, when discussing full steel liners, is the impact it has on the action. The feel is solid and the extra rigidity offers a reassuring vibration, which travels throughout the handle, as the lock engages. Full steel liners seem to accentuate the lock engagement and simultaneously provide smoother action, by limiting any flex in the knife handle. These observations came from the P4 and a Delica 4 Hap40 in Pakkawood. Both have better action and a more reassuring lockup than comparable FRN models.

Overall, despite owning one for a relatively short amount of time, I've found the Police 4 to be extremely impressive. In fact, most of my other knives will be sold soon, because the Police 4(and a couple others) ruined knives for me. Nothing will hold up to a comparison.

The other knives which will stick around, despite the P4, are a Rex 45 Military, Hap 40 Delica Pakkawood, V-toku2 Stretch 2, and Zdp-189 Endura. With those knives, there is no need for anything else, but that's another topic.
Last edited by Albatross on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Knives ruined...

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Nice write up man! I too have been loving my Police4, and share almost all of your observations, except mine came exquisitely sharp. Also, just as an aside, we sometimes call those liners that are flush with the edge of the scales "proud." Glad you're liking it and keep us posted if you have anything else to say!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albatross wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 pm
..... Larger blades definitely benefit from a choil, as it tends to make the knife SEEM smaller. Larger blades also benefit the most from a choil, since the added control is much more noticeable to me.

.....The other knives which will stick around, despite the P4, are a Rex 45 Military, Hap 40 Delica Pakkawood, V-toku2 Stretch 2, and Zdp-189 Endura. With those knives, there is no need for anything else, but that's another topic.

- You are a wise man. Imho choils are a only good for really large or really small blades (the latter so small, that one really NEEDS a choil to get a four finger grip in the first place)

- Great line up, that should really cover every need (though I never had a Police admittedly) I would even omit the Military, and still not complain... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

That's awesome! I love it when someone caves for this model like I did. Look forward to more observations.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Another “Ah, now I get it” review to confirm my bias. Had to go grab mine to relive the moment.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm
Nice write up man! I too have been loving my Police4, and share almost all of your observations, except mine came exquisitely sharp. Also, just as an aside, we sometimes call those liners that are flush with the edge of the scales "proud." Glad you're liking it and keep us posted if you have anything else to say!
We should not. "Proud" indicates protruding beyond, such as the liners on the Gayle Bradley folders that are larger than the scales (Which is actually another misnomer. What we call scales are traditionally named "covers", what we call liners are traditionally named "scales", and a traditional "liner" goes between the layers of a multi-spring, multi-blade knife. But I know I'll never get people to call things by their proper names.) or a blade tip which is not covered by the handle when the knife is closed.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:10 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:42 pm
We should not. "Proud" indicates protruding beyond, such as the liners on the Gayle Bradley folders that are larger than the scales (Which is actually another misnomer. What we call scales are traditionally named "covers", what we call liners are traditionally named "scales", and a traditional "liner" goes between the layers of a multi-spring, multi-blade knife. But I know I'll never get people to call things by their proper names.) or a blade tip which is not covered by the handle when the knife is closed.
Oh I'm so sorry please forgive me
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Excellent, comprehensive and very well written review there, Albatross. :cool:

And as someone who has probably been guilty of inordinate gushing over the Police 4 on the forum before, I’m pleased to see you like it! :D ;)

You obviously have great taste in knives, lol. :D :p
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Very nicely written, and I agree with all of your praise for the Police 4.

I misunderstood the Police 4 entirely -- until I got one. The "Police" name could be some of what pushes people away, not that I have anything in particular against the police. And it does seem like a big knife, though compared to the Military it seems smaller and sleek. An elegant and misunderstood knife. Glad you like it.

As for the title of the thread, I expected some horror story related to knife sharpening.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh, jeez, makes me reconsider getting one... nice review.

Like Tom, the title had me thinking sharpening snafu. Maybe a story involving a WorkSharp or other powered sharpener gone awry. This is much better. :cool:
Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:30 am

As for the title of the thread, I expected some horror story related to knife sharpening.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Nice write-up, I'm a fan too !

Albatross wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 pm
The other knives which will stick around, despite the P4, are a Rex 45 Military, Hap 40 Delica Pakkawood, V-toku2 Stretch 2, and Zdp-189 Endura. With those knives, there is no need for anything else, but that's another topic.
Almost agree with you on the list above (Delica is too small for my fat hands). The knife I would add to your list as it fills a gap for me, is this (or pick the Chinook 1):

And then I wish Spyderco would make a >= 4" Wharncliffe, like this one (incredibly useful, just carried it for two weeks during a vacation/construction project).

Roland.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Yeah they got to me too :D Especially Sal. Glad they did though. The Police4 is awesome.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

I'm carrying the first FRN P4 in VG-10. Very nice piece. Easy to carry and use.

sal
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Nice to hear Sal. I handled the prototype at the Amsterdam meet this year. Have been waiting for it since. I think this will be a perfect user. Balanced steel and lightweight. (Yes, i like VG10 :) ).
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

This forum MUST have been responsible for a recent uptick in P4 sales 😂
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm
I think you could narrow it down even further, to Vivi and Deadboxhero. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm
I think you could narrow it down even further, to Vivi and Deadboxhero. :D
Yeah well I seem to remember a pretty siiiick edge on yours, and Cambertree’s too for that matter lol
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Thanks everyone. Now I hope my wife doesn't see this, she's apt to get jealous of my love for the P4... :eek:
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 am
I'm carrying the first FRN P4 in VG-10. Very nice piece. Easy to carry and use.

sal
Very cool, I can't wait to get one for myself. Is the FRN P4 more ergonomic than the G10 P4? It seems like FRN models are generally more contoured and can be thicker, depending on the model. VG10 is an excellent stainless steel, for my uses.
Heavymetalspey

Post by Heavymetalspey »

This is my first post on this forum, I was going to wait and do a collection rundown and introduction but I can't help myself when the Police 4 topic comes up. It's the knife that for me, has seen more time and use than any other knife since I've had it. This review was great- I agree 100%.
I owe my love of the knife to Big Brown Bear, his first review sold me. K390 is a beast and when comparing it to almost everything else, there is no comparison. I still love Maxamet, Rex45 and I want to try cru-wear, but if I could only carry one knife- I would be very happy with the Police4