September 11, 2001: Never Forget!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Water Bug

September 11, 2001: Never Forget!

Post by Water Bug »

I've pulled out my Spyderco World Trade Center Knife and will be EDCing it on this day of remembrance. Let us remember and never forget those we lost and who made the ultimate sacrifice this day back in 2001.

WTC #1044 on duty!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
FullFlatMind

Re: September 11, 2001: Never Forget!

Post by FullFlatMind »

Never Forget
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can't believe it's been 18 years already. I was getting ready for a day of classes as a freshman in college that morning. Incredible to think this tragedy happened half of my lifetime ago (I'm 36 now) Time really does fly, though it feels like it was just yesterday.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 am
I can't believe it's been 18 years already. I was getting ready for a day of classes as a freshman in college that morning. Incredible to think this tragedy happened half of my lifetime ago (I'm 36 now) Time really does fly, though it feels like it was just yesterday.
Same here. I was a senior in college. And my husband deployed to Iraq just a year and a half later...such a crazy time in our lives.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The start of some very dark times in this country. I’m the opposite. I look forward to forgetting. Hopefully one of the perks of old age. Wish this date would just pass like any other.
benben

Post by benben »

I remember it like it was yesterday, my dad was holding my new baby daughter and laughing and being a goofy proud new grandpa, she was 9 days old that terrible morning.......she's a freshman in college now!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 am
The start of some very dark times in this country. I’m the opposite. I look forward to forgetting. Hopefully one of the perks of old age. Wish this date would just pass like any other.
It's one of those things that will never just pass. My mother says that the JFK and John Lennon assassinations are two dates that she will remember for the rest of her life, as well as today.

I also think there is quite the significance in this terrorist act on our country, because of this day 18 years ago our country has never been the same. Some reasons for better and others for worse. Children born after this tragedy need to understand why certain things are the way they are today because of that. Though I do understand what you mean, because it does suck thinking back to that day every year on this day. But is it important.

-Rick
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I’ll never forget.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I remember it well. I was sleeping in that day (college life) and a friend woke me up to tell me what was going on.

At least it has turned into a day to appreciate our first responders. A big thanks to all of them today!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

It's amazing how I can remember, with clarity, nearly everything that transpired that day, along with everything said by me and coworkers, the looks on their face and even the smells of the office.

Beginning with my 100 mile morning commute listening to talk radio around 6 AM. That morning the news report mentioned a US drone was shot down around Iraq, I've yet to hear any more mention of this....we all know what happened a few hours later.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:55 am
Same as me, and I turn 36 today. I remember I watched the second crash live on TV.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I lived at home and commuted around a half hour for college my freshman year. I was getting all my stuff together and packing some snacks in the kitchen while listening to Sportcenter on the TV. It was suddenly breaking news that a plane crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers. I thought to myself "that's pretty crazy and weird. Must have been a serious mechanical issue or medical condition with the pilot"

I hopped in my car, popped in my Mudvayne L.D. 50 CD and headed to school rocking out the whole way there. When I pulled into school there was a lot of people standing around talking and looking confused. I headed towards my first class heard more people talking about another plane hit the other tower. When I got into class everyone was surrounded around a tv and radio it was being speculated as a terrorist attack. All classes were cancelled and everyone went back to their dorms or headed home.

I drove home listening to the radio and having this weird sense of insecurity for the first time in my life, feeling a bit scared and not really understanding what was going on. I live in New York, granted around 5 hours away from the NYC but I was still nervous and was thinking about my cousin who was living there and going to school for photography and graphics.

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

It will never be forgotten, just like people will never forget Pearl Harbor. I wish these things never happened, but they did.

I remember many years earlier, my mom telling me about when she that in 1945, she was able to leave the Manzanar relocation camp (one of the prisons for Japanese-American families during WWII) and she went to NYC to work. She told me she worked near the Empire State Building, and it was hit by a plane. At first, some people assumed it was a Japanese attack, but it turned out it was an accident due to fog. When 9/11 was happening, that was the first thing that came to my mind, except I could see the day was clear. I was watching news getting ready for work (I worked as a real-time captioner for hearing-impaired college/university students at the time). When the first building came down, I thought, “WTH???” Then I knew it wasn’t an accident.

Interestingly enough, after the towers fell, something else came to my mind. About 2 years earlier, in 1999, I was watching some TV special about various predictions for the new millennium, and one of the people consulted was a psychic. She stated that she saw the NYC skyline, and that the World Trade Centers were gone, and that there was lots of smoke everywhere. She stated that she thought it had something to do with planes; that maybe terrorists had dropped a bomb on the WTC or something. But she’d gotten the date wrong. She said she saw it happening in May (May 5, IIRC) of 2000. After 9/11 happened, I thought, “Son of a gun, that psychic got a lot of it right.”

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i was in 8th grade,
i remember and will never forget.
time stood still as an entire class watched it live, fore more than an hour not one person said a word.
it was a half day, we went home early.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Monty

Post by Monty »

I was hiking the AT and learned about it a few days later from the newspapers in a little grocery store.

My greatest respect for all those who responded.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

:mad:
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

That day seared my soul. It also unleashed things even more calamitous. America and the larger world are the worse for it. Deliver us from cults and their hate-stirring pied-pipers.

On a more mundane note, my wife was on the last day of a business trip to Chicago and would have been stuck there had she not lucked out getting an Amtrak seat (not a car rental to be had). When I picked her up in Boston in the early morning the next day, mine was one of maybe six vehicles on the road in the city. Very eerie.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I got a 9/11 pin from Spyderco when I bought a Mule!

Spyderco rocks!
archangel

Post by archangel »

I was at work, back then still a student. I rushed home, but by the time I arrived, both towers were already down. I sobbed heavily. Been "on top of the world" (the name of the observatory deck or the roof, I don't remember anymore) three times in the 4 years before. It was one of the most magical places I have been to.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I remember my parents had the news on the TV that morning as they were rushing to get me to class. That day, all the teachers kept the radio on during class to keep the students updated. There was some uncertainty as to how many planes had been hijacked and what all their intended targets were, and we kept anxiously waiting to hear if there would be some breaking news of an attack happening in the Bay Area. At the end of the day it still felt surreal that something like that had happened. But on the positive side, for some time afterwards, it seemed as if all of America united in an inspiring solidarity in support of each other in the wake of the attacks.