POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not buy one?

YES, got one, it´s great
16%
YES, got one, it´s ok-ish
2%
YES, got one, not really for me
No votes
YES, will certainly get one
6%
Thinking about getting one, not sure yet
21%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but YES; certainly in variants (steel...)
14%
NO, not interested in the VG10 model but MAYBE in variants
10%
NO, not interested at all in that model
30%

Total votes: 154

Wartstein

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by Wartstein »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am
It would not get a trip in the pocket as for this size the PM2 will always win.

Great idea by Spyderco to have a in between two classics sizes and similar price wise.

I have to say, the PM2 has surprised me very positively: Actually thought I would not like it too much, but in fact I really do.
Still, for me the Endela wins in that size category.
Great, that Spyderco really has something for everyone!! :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Re: POLL: ENDELA: Who has already bought / will / will maybe / will not get one?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will try out a sprint Endela at some point but I am not overly interested. I doubt that I will prefer the Endela over the Stretch.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:17 am
I will try out a sprint Endela at some point but I am not overly interested. I doubt that I will prefer the Endela over the Stretch.
I do over the Stretch 2, I do not over the Stretch 1... (though I have to say: Since I got the Endela, I carried and used it a lot more than even one of my Stretch 1s.)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 am
Thanks, guys! Those pics are really helpful. I actually really like the blade size of the pm2, I just don't have many pockets that will fit it completely, which irks me to no end. As for the Stretch, I actually have one, and I've been on the fence about keeping it. There's not any one thing I can point to that I really dislike, but it just doesn't sing to me like a delica does...maybe it's just too bulky-feeling for my taste. I'd see if the endela filled the size slot any better for me.

I think it maybe will... pretty much Stretch 2 (two) size in length (both handle and blade), but sure less "bulky".
Stretch 1 (one) could be for you either ... shorter when closed than the Stretch 2, while actually having noticeable more edge...
Thanks! Definitely looking forward to an endela (hopefully) in the k390 run, as it'll be a steel and a model I've yet to try, and both sound very promising.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Some factual comparisons:

SE Endela / Blade Thickness = 0.118 with a 3.41 Blade Length / 2.99 Cutting Edge

Stretch 1 Blade Thickness = 0.13 = 0.012 difference compared to Endela also has 3.5 Blade Length / Cutting Edge 3.19

Stretch 2 Blade Thickness = 0.12 = 0.002 difference compared to Endela also has a Blade Length of 3.45 / Cutting Edge 2.97

Paramilitary 2 Blade Thickness = 0.14 = 0.022 difference compared to Endela also has a Blade Length of 3.44 / Cutting Edge 3.0

Taking everything into consideration including the OP’s feelings for the Stretch1 and not recalling if he has one or not I recommend that he purchase a SE Stretch1 and see if the kicks the SE Endela out of the pocket.

Owning 2 SE Stretch1 I can say it is a wicked Slicing Machine I liked so much I purchased a backup.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

While I may eventually get an Endela, it's currently far down the list of models I'm interested in. I don't mind VG10 or black FRN or the handle shape, but it's just not a knife that fills any role for me currently.

As another poster mentioned, I'd be more interested in a wharncliffe version. But I'd prefer a choil with the standard blade, so the Stretch or PM2 or Harrier2 fills that size category for me.

However, I'm very interested in the straight-spine Stretch that's been talked about some. Or a lightweight PM2 that will surely come out some day.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Not interested in this and not going to buy.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am
Some factual comparisons:

SE Endela / Blade Thickness = 0.118 with a 3.41 Blade Length / 2.99 Cutting Edge

Stretch 1 Blade Thickness = 0.13 = 0.012 difference compared to Endela also has 3.5 Blade Length / Cutting Edge 3.19

Stretch 2 Blade Thickness = 0.12 = 0.002 difference compared to Endela also has a Blade Length of 3.45 / Cutting Edge 2.97

Paramilitary 2 Blade Thickness = 0.14 = 0.022 difference compared to Endela also has a Blade Length of 3.44 / Cutting Edge 3.0

Taking everything into consideration including the OP’s feelings for the Stretch1 and not recalling if he has one or not I recommend that he purchase a SE Stretch1 and see if the kicks the SE Endela out of the pocket.

Owning 2 SE Stretch1 I can say it is a wicked Slicing Machine I liked so much I purchased a backup.

Not sure if I fully get the intention of your post to me, (as I am the OP) - literally, due to my not perfect English! But I´ll take it as an recommendation and say thanks a lot. IF I can find a Stretch ONE in SE for a reasonable price I´ll get one for sure, now that I know how great serrations in 3mm ffg are (the Endela taught me that).

Concerning your comparisons: I am sure those are real life measurements, so very accurate! Still I am a bit surprised: The specs on Spydercos page state
- a blade thicknes of 0.118 (3mm) for ALL THREE the Endela, Stretch 1 and Stretch 2. Looking at my knives, I tend to believe that. [EDIT: I was wrong. While the Spyderco page indeed states 3mm thickness for all modesl (and as an European that´s what I normally remember), in INCHES it states a bit more for the Stretch 1: 0.125, not 0.118... though looking at Endela and Stretch 1, they seem to have the exact same blade stock]
- the PM2 on the other hand is visually and significantly thicker at 0.145 (3.7mm) - one can easily SEE that.

What counts for ME PERSONALLY:
The Stretch 1 has a closed lenght of only 4.4383, but an actual cutting edge of 3,188
The Endela is longer when closed (4.69), but gives you an actual edge of "only" 2.99

STILL, as I said above, the Endela sees a lot more pocket time than any of my Stretch 1´s anyway, cause I like it so much.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Got my measurements from Blade H.Q. maybe they need to change them to be inline with Spyderco? Edit Oh okay I posted right as you did yeah metric to inches gotcha.

Yes take as recommendation, also thought a comparison with comparable models might be useful for the thread.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I picked up one for cheap and I have to say I'm impressed. The new smoothed contours and size are great. However, it's had a hard time finding its way clipped on my pocket over the Endura, or loose in pocket like I carry the Delica.

If BOOMER52 does a Para or Verrazano scale mod it will see a lot of carry because it would basically be the skinny PM2 backlock I've been dreaming about. Can't wait for K390!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am
Got my measurements from Blade H.Q. maybe they need to change them to be inline with Spyderco?

Yes take as recommendation, also thought a comparison with comparable models might be useful for the thread.
Thanks! :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

What´s interesting for me in that poll so far (amongst other things): The about 1/3 of voters, who are NOT interested in the Endela as a model at all... I wonder, if that could be about the percentage of "no interest votes" most "main" and generally popular Spyderco models would get in a similarly put up poll.
Can´t really explain what I mean, let me try once more: Maybe roughly 1/3 of people will always not be interested at all in one particular model, cause that is (roughly, again!) the agregate of people who just don´t like a particular lock or handle material and so on. In this poll for example it is the backlock and FRN, in another it would be the comp. lock and G10, and so on...
ok, weird post, but non-native-speaker tried... :o
archangel

Post by archangel »

Only a sprint run in a steel I do not own yet. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Only a sprint run in a steel I do not own yet. ;)

I am not exactly surprised, my friend... ;)
anycal

Post by anycal »

You should have omitted the last option on your poll, as some like to do... I appreciate you keeping it honest ;)

I chose no interest at all, as I have and enjoy the Delica and Endura. That said, if I didn't have either and saw all three at the same time, I would have likely chosen the Endela first. It is my preferred size for pretty much everything.

It is not that I would be opposed to trying it out now, or in different steel and color option. It's just that I am a lot more selective about which knives I buy these days.
Peter
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I voted not interested at all. Medium size knives don’t hit the sweet spot for me anymore. They are just to medium. I shifted towards bigger knives, the pacific salt for instance. For sheeple purposes i use something small like a dragonfly or urban. Even a delica is to big for this imo. I like to carry them as a pair. Usually carry three or four knives but thats for another thread.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I don't plan to get one. The only reason is size, I never carry my PM2 and Pacific Salt. The PM2 is really a collectors piece and the Pacific only for some hikes.
I carry delica size 99% of the time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

anycal wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:18 pm
You should have omitted the last option on your poll, as some like to do... I appreciate you keeping it honest ;)

I chose no interest at all, as I have and enjoy the Delica and Endura. That said, if I didn't have either and saw all three at the same time, I would have likely chosen the Endela first. It is my preferred size for pretty much everything.

It is not that I would be opposed to trying it out now, or in different steel and color option. It's just that I am a lot more selective about which knives I buy these days.

Keeping it honest makes things a lot more interesting and valuable... ;)

My goal is not to try and create a thread, that sheds an overly bright light on the Endela, but just, as I said in my op, to get an impression how well it is received or not - regardless of the fact that I personally like it a lot.. :)

And I think as far as this poll goes (and sure this is in NO WAY representative for ANYTHING, let alone the general knife market, but still...) the Endela does pretty well: Every voter who already has one, seems to really like it; And as said,roughly one third of voters NOT being interested at all in a particular model , is to be expected or even a rather low mark perhaps??
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 pm
I don't plan to get one. The only reason is size, I never carry my PM2 and Pacific Salt. The PM2 is really a collectors piece and the Pacific only for some hikes.
I carry delica size 99% of the time.

Than the Endela indeed is not for you. Feels much larger than a Delica in any dimension... only thing that could win you for the Endela, is the option for serrations in ffg and rather thin blade stock... but then, there is the Delica Wharnie SE.. also ffg and even thinner stock.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm interested if they make a liner-less salt version, and they keep the standard 3 hole clip screw pattern. If they switch to the same clip screw hole pattern as the Native 5 LW / Salt, then I'd be much less interested. If they make such a Salt version in bright green with un-coated LC200N, or all black in LC200N or H1, then I'd be very interested. I think Endela has a better chance of being made as a Salt than does the Stretch II LW, but I'd really rather have the Stretch as an LC200N Salt, or liner-less G10 in the standard steel, just like the Native 5. On that note, I'd also be interested in a liner-less G10 and VG10 Endela.