Micarta Putman scales at DLT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: Micarta Putman scales at DLT

Post by DougC-3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 pm
I just made my first scales out of micarta today. Man, it’s nasty stinky stuff. I can see why Spyderco hasn’t been wanting to make knives with micarta. I know sal has said it was because of the lack of moisture or something in Golden but I have to think it has to do with how messy it is.
I've bought some stock but haven't had the guts to start on it yet. I hope you'll show pics.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

DougC-3 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I just made my first scales out of micarta today. Man, it’s nasty stinky stuff. I can see why Spyderco hasn’t been wanting to make knives with micarta. I know sal has said it was because of the lack of moisture or something in Golden but I have to think it has to do with how messy it is.
I've bought some stock but haven't had the guts to start on it yet. I hope you'll show pics.

Sure I can post a pic, but it ain’t a Spyderco. :D

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Those look great! Nice work!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
foofie

Post by foofie »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:41 pm
I just made my first scales out of micarta today. Man, it’s nasty stinky stuff.
Looking good! I remember a discussion I had with a custom knife maker a couple years back. He charged more for green micarta than brown micarta or even CF. He said it was harder to work with, more wear on belts, and more resistant to polishing/finishing. I will now add stinky to that list as well :D
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Smock has a nice a look and feel in micarta :D

And with an MXG deep carry clip...
-Turbo
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:13 pm
Those look great! Nice work!

Thanks very much! It was a lot of fun despite my bellyaching. I learned a lot (again).

foofie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
I just made my first scales out of micarta today. Man, it’s nasty stinky stuff.
Looking good! I remember a discussion I had with a custom knife maker a couple years back. He charged more for green micarta than brown micarta or even CF. He said it was harder to work with, more wear on belts, and more resistant to polishing/finishing. I will now add stinky to that list as well :D

That’s some good intel. Thanks!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bbturbodad wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:32 pm

Oh wow, those do look good! Much better in your pics than in the product ad pics. They looked kinda bulky there, I thought, but not at all in your pics. I'm definitely excited now!

Any issues changing out the scales?
Last edited by JuPaul on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

rothnroll

Post by rothnroll »

bbturbodad wrote:

To me it looks too sleek for OD green micarta. It makes it look like a military knife.
I do like OD micarta scales on the PM2 and others.
foofie

Post by foofie »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Oh wow, those do look good! Much better in your pics than in the product ad pics. They looked kinda bulky there, I thought, but not at all in your pics.

The screws look countersunk - so it looks like the scales may add some thickness? On my smock with stock scales (for now), the screws are flush.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

foofie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Oh wow, those do look good! Much better in your pics than in the product ad pics. They looked kinda bulky there, I thought, but not at all in your pics.

The screws look countersunk - so it looks like the scales may add some thickness? On my smock with stock scales (for now), the screws are flush.
Good eye! They definitely look deeper, so the scales appear to be thicker than the cf scales. When mine arrive I'll measure. I wonder if that'll make it harder to fully depress the button lock...
- Julia

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Sure I can post a pic, but it ain’t a Spyderco. :D

Great job! looks like it was well worth the effort. I'll have to check out your pics on instagram.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Here are pics as requested. I seriously could not be happier with these scales. The cf on the Smock does look nice, but the green micarta is much more my style. And the grooved micarta on the Manix makes for a super grippy hold.

Remind me never to disassemble a Manix again, though! What a PITA! Much thanks to Nick Shabazz for his excellent disassembly videos, and to forum member DirtMcGirt for his string lanyard tube removal trick - worked like a charm!

- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ooooooo, I do like that grooved on the Manix!! Hmmm, I've already got the DLT exclusive as well has the HH UKPK and am thinking of picking up the St Nick's Shaman if I can. That's a lot of red scales, I think those grooves scales on the 20CV would be great!

Thank you very much for posting, both look great!! How do the grooves scales feel in hand??

Sorry you had a hard time with the Manix, guess I got lucky putting CF scales on my Cruwear. They popped off the lanyard relatively easy when prying and wiggling a bit with a small, flat head screw driver.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Oh btw, the micarta scales are a bit thicker than the stock scales on both knives, but not by much. Here are comparison pics on the Smock.

- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:35 pm
Ooooooo, I do like that grooved on the Manix!! Hmmm, I've already got the DLT exclusive as well has the HH UKPK and am thinking of picking up the St Nick's Shaman if I can. That's a lot of red scales, I think those grooves scales on the 20CV would be great!

Thank you very much for posting, both look great!! How do the grooves scales feel in hand??

Sorry you had a hard time with the Manix, guess I got lucky putting CF scales on my Cruwear. They popped off the lanyard relatively easy when prying and wiggling a bit with a small, flat head screw driver.
I think the grooved scales feel great in hand. On the putnam micarta I think the grooves maybe aren't quite as pronounced as they are on his g10 scales (just my guess from looking at pics of the g10) - they're just ridged enough to give you a little extra purchase on the scales. And the micarta has that almost soft feel to it...love them! I need that extra grippyness to easily operate the cbbl since I've got smaller hands.

As for the disassembly, well I think the extra challenge just made the final product even more satisfying. :D
- Julia

foofie

Post by foofie »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 pm
Oh btw, the micarta scales are a bit thicker than the stock scales on both knives, but not by much. Here are comparison pics on the Smock.

Got mine today as well. I had an mxg clip with the CF scales - after swapping for micarta, the screws would not engage the liner. I dug around, and the original spydie screws worked fine. I guess the mxg screws are 1-2 threads shorter?

I usually wet sand my micarta to give it a softer feel (but still grippy). I kinda like the amount of texture on these scales as they came. Very nicely done overall.
foofie

Post by foofie »

And some obligatory pics:
(sorry that the lighting/color is a bit off)

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

foofie wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Got mine today as well. I had an mxg clip with the CF scales - after swapping for micarta, the screws would not engage the liner. I dug around, and the original spydie screws worked fine. I guess the mxg screws are 1-2 threads shorter?

I usually wet sand my micarta to give it a softer feel (but still grippy). I kinda like the amount of texture on these scales as they came. Very nicely done overall.
I like the texture these came with, for sure. Definitely soft. Seeing your pics makes me want to order a para 3 set just to have on hand!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm
foofie wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
JuPaul wrote:

I like the texture these came with, for sure. Definitely soft. Seeing your pics makes me want to order a para 3 set just to have on hand!
And...nevermind, the green ones are already out of stock for the pm2 and para 3! Anyone that wants 'em better jump on those manix and smock ones.
- Julia