Is weak detente a warranty issue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Is weak detente a warranty issue?

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm
Given the shape of the blades it’s easy to see how that even pressed up against the seam they could rock out of place and open just enough to cut.

My wife and I both have had detent dependent locks open on us either in pocket or in purse. She will not even a hold one now if it is a liner lock or a frame walk or any such knife that has a detent.

I have also dropped these knives and almost been stabbed in the foot when the knife rebounded and came open.
You're making me think I should've just stuck with my delicas. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:51 pm
JuPaul wrote: I have a Sliverax and love it with one exception: the detente is so weak and I can easily open the knife with just a little bump, and with an actual pop of the wrist, I can fully deploy it. I wasn't sure this would bother me, but now I'm wondering if it's even safe to carry this weak. Is this something spyderco could/would fix under warranty? I've seen other threads on how to strengthen the detente on your own, but I'm definitely not comfortable doing anything myself. And nowhere can I find if this is a warranty issue. I'm the original owner, and the knife was purchased through a reputable dealer.
I've done detent mods on the sliverax multiple times, it's pretty straightforward to get the detent bearing to seat more fully in the blade.

Of course such work does void the warranty, but there's a community of spyderco modders that would be happy to help with this.
Have you done this mod on your own because you want to, or because spyderco wouldn't do it for you? Just curious if it's worth sending to them or if I shouldn't bother.

And by "other modders happy to help", do you mean someone could walk me through it, or that I could send it to someone to do the work?
I wouldn't count on Spyderco doing it for you. I'm not sure how much they actually modify the knives that are sent in. From what I've heard, and I could certainly be wrong, is that they would replace the knife rather than modify it. Probably depends on the problem though.

I did mine because I knew how to correct the problem and had the tools to do it. I hadn't done one before but I'm reasonably tool savvy and smart enough to know to remove a little material at a time and test. I probably had the thing apart and back together 5 times. I would be surprised if Spyderco's W&R department could devote that much time to a single repair.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Send the thing in. If the blade releases as easily as you describe, I’d bet the mothership will see it as out of spec and fix it.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm gonna send it to spyderco and see what happens. If they say it's within tolerance and won't address it, I'll look into doing the mod or finding someone to help me do it. This is one of my few spydercos outside of the native/delica/para families, and I really love the design. I feel like it's worth waiting a while to make it perfect.
- Julia

curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:51 pm
JuPaul wrote: I have a Sliverax and love it with one exception: the detente is so weak and I can easily open the knife with just a little bump, and with an actual pop of the wrist, I can fully deploy it. I wasn't sure this would bother me, but now I'm wondering if it's even safe to carry this weak. Is this something spyderco could/would fix under warranty? I've seen other threads on how to strengthen the detente on your own, but I'm definitely not comfortable doing anything myself. And nowhere can I find if this is a warranty issue. I'm the original owner, and the knife was purchased through a reputable dealer.
I've done detent mods on the sliverax multiple times, it's pretty straightforward to get the detent bearing to seat more fully in the blade.

Of course such work does void the warranty, but there's a community of spyderco modders that would be happy to help with this.
Have you done this mod on your own because you want to, or because spyderco wouldn't do it for you? Just curious if it's worth sending to them or if I shouldn't bother.

And by "other modders happy to help", do you mean someone could walk me through it, or that I could send it to someone to do the work?
Hi, I did it myself because I wanted to see if it was something I could try to fix on my own for better flipping action. I can't say whether spyderco would do it if you sent yours in.

Either option would probably work, but the first one is easiest. I could post a guide with pictures.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

[/quote]

I could post a guide with pictures.
[/quote]

Thanks! If spyderco won't do it, I'll revisit this thread and hit you up.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Oy, I botched that quote job...sorry!
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Given the shape of the blades it’s easy to see how that even pressed up against the seam they could rock out of place and open just enough to cut.

My wife and I both have had detent dependent locks open on us either in pocket or in purse. She will not even a hold one now if it is a liner lock or a frame walk or any such knife that has a detent.

I have also dropped these knives and almost been stabbed in the foot when the knife rebounded and came open.
I did not mean to turn you off from a much loved knife. Many of us here will only buy backlocks and cbbl locks because of these issues. However, there are many happy buyers of detent dependent locks.

Try the Golden made backlocks or cbblocks. The new native chief is a must buy for me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:05 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

I did not mean to turn you off from a much loved knife. Many of us here will only buy backlocks and cbbl locks because of these issues. However, there are many happy buyers of detent dependent locks.

Try the Golden made backlocks or cbblocks. The new native chief is a must buy for me.
No worries! I think the native chief will be too big for me (and at just over 4" not legal for me to carry, either). But I have a native salt and like it very much. It's my go-to knife for foraging, canoeing, etc.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Update: I did send my Sliverax into spyderco, and in just about 3 weeks turnaround time I received a replacement from them. Thanks, Spyderco!

The replacement definitely has a stronger detente than the one I shipped in, but it's still not super strong (I can open it with a hard shake, but not with a hard tap like before). As many folks said, this is just a hard truth of the model I guess. But anyhow I don't feel unsafe carrying the new one, and I think that's what matters. Also, I was very happy with the warranty service from spyderco - no muss, no fuss.
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Good!

Perhaps a pocket slip is in order? I have a knife pocket sewn into most of my dress pants inside of the right front pocket. Thus safely secures any knife while allowing quick access
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:30 pm
Good!

Perhaps a pocket slip is in order? I have a knife pocket sewn into most of my dress pants inside of the right front pocket. Thus safely secures any knife while allowing quick access
That's a great idea...thx!
- Julia

ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:23 pm
This is the reason I do not own a Caribbean. Everyone says the detents are weak. Dangerous.
I just got a Caribbean and the detent is very weak like you say. I can snap my wrist and the blade will open. Another knife with a weak detent is my cruwear Manix 2 smooth g10. It opened in my pocket multiple times.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

While this was said earlier, anyone looking to adjust the detent hole should be careful. Detent slop from over-zealous hole-widening is annoying. My Spydiechef came with a bit of it and I almost sent it back. Even with the slop I can fling the blade out with a wrist shake. It isn't the worst detent I have (cue the Advocate for that) and obviously it doesn't bother me too much because I've owned and used it for a year. But I've seen some really bad detent jobs where the knives rattled like a maraca.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ihped1 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:23 pm
This is the reason I do not own a Caribbean. Everyone says the detents are weak. Dangerous.
I just got a Caribbean and the detent is very weak like you say. I can snap my wrist and the blade will open. Another knife with a weak detent is my cruwear Manix 2 smooth g10. It opened in my pocket multiple times.
I'd sure consider sending in that manix. I have one as well and the detente is much stronger than even the replacement Sliverax I received from spyderco. No issues at all. Anyone else have this problem with the KC cruwear manix?
- Julia

rklee

Post by rklee »

ihped1 wrote:
... Another knife with a weak detent is my cruwear Manix 2 smooth g10. It opened in my pocket multiple times.
Is that the Manix with CBBL? It would be disappointing if the CBBL retention is weak too.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

rklee wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm
ihped1 wrote:
... Another knife with a weak detent is my cruwear Manix 2 smooth g10. It opened in my pocket multiple times.
Is that the Manix with CBBL? It would be disappointing if the CBBL retention is weak too.
The cruwear smooth g10 manix is cbbl. Mine actually has a really strong detent - I can't shake that one open at all, or my other manix g10. I think the one in question here has a defect.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Btw I just realized I spelled detent wrong this whole thread...doh!
- Julia

bagsnatcher

Post by bagsnatcher »

Flattened detents typically generate a smoother action (for example, Skaha, Norseman, etc.).
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I just dremeled the detent on my dice and it got waaaaaay better! Took 4-5 re-assemblies but worth it.
/ David