Which Spidie next? The Taiwanese conundrum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marcus52AR

Which Spidie next? The Taiwanese conundrum

Post by Marcus52AR »

Recently these three models popped up in stock again at my online dealer.

Amalgam
Smock
Kapara

All 3 are s30v compression lock (smock button released) with some form of carbon fiber scales, and developed with a 3rd party designer, produced in Taiwan.

I want all three but I was going to see what you guys and gals think is the top of the heap.

First post since signing up. I'm over on bladeforums with the same name. Spyderco makes up the majority of my collection, so it only makes sense to come to the center of the web.
Last edited by Marcus52AR on Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zippifish

Re: Which Spidie next? The Taiwanese conundrum

Post by zippifish »

Out of those 3 I would want to buy the Kapara first and welcome to the forum.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome! I went with the kapara myself first. The smock is on my list.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum!

For me: Out of the three Kapara, no doubt. Not really interested in the other two options.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Kapara
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Kapara is simply superb. The others may also be but they just haven’t called my name.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The Kapara is an absolutely fantastic knife with excellent ergos. The Smock is nice - the button/comp lock is cool, action, f&f etc are excellent.. but the ergos just don't do it for me.. compared with pretty much every other Spyderco I've handled, I just don't find it especially comfortable in hand/use. I have no experience with the Amalgam, so I can't be of any help there..

So of the three you listed.. I have to go with the Kapara.

Welcome to the forum!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I'm gonna buck the trend and say the Smock. :p Of the three, it's the only one I have (so far!). I absolutely love it, love the button comp lock, corner flipper tab, and unique design. I have no issues with ergos, but I do have smaller hands so maybe that's a factor. I also personally prefer the textured cf and don't mind it being laminate. The Kapara is on my wish list, too, though, and looks beautiful. I'm hopeful for sprints in both models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I'm for the Amalgam, because it's my favorite spyderco! I would like a Kapara, but I'm not really into the smock... Maybe I would be if I tried one but the design just doesn't grab me.

Carry my amalgam all the time though, like right now!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Marcus52AR

Post by Marcus52AR »

Thanks for warm welcome!

I'd like to get all three obviously, I'm considering getting the Amalgam and Kapara and do a battle to the death, but can foresee keeping both.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I have the kapara and it's excellent. Great slicer, great ergos, well put together and the contoured carbon fiber handle looks as good as it works. The deep carry clip and thin profile mean that it pockets very well for a 3.5in blade. Highly recommended.

The smock is a maybe for me right now. I'm intrigued by the button compression lock and the hollow ground sheepsfootish blade. I'm less enthused about the laminate CF and that the handle looks less ergonomic than most spydies. Unfortunately there are no local dealers near me where I can hold one to know for sure, so that may be a deal breaker for me.

The amalgam isn't really on my radar. I'm not big on flippers and it's larger than I usually carry (the kapara is the biggest knife in my regular rotation). It has the same laminate CF that I find meh on the smock but without the interesting (to me) blade or button luck. It seems a good knife, it's just not for me.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I got a Smock after having it on preorder for over a year then and it just wasn't for me. Too squared off and I didn't like losing so much of the edge to the lock cutout. I haven't had an Amalgam but have heard good things. I recently did however get a Kapara and I'm in love with this thing. The scales are so smooth and the blade dropped shut from factory. Feels amazing in the hand. I would love to try the Amalgam but the contoured carbon scales were calling to me.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Agreed the Smock isn't for everyone, as much as I love it. I'd say if you love wierd and unique design, go for the Smock. If you love classic good looks and smooth lines, go with Kapara. If you love larger knives/traditional flippers go with the Amalgam. I'm thinking you probably can't make a bad choice here. :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I only have the Kapara out of those three, and can definitely recommend it.
Marcus52AR

Post by Marcus52AR »

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum Sal. Too cool.

Well, with the help of members opinions and some youtubing, I've come to the conclusion I'm going to try the Kapara first.

Thank you for the replies.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Welcome to the forum! But this is no conundrum at all. First rule of the forums: get them all! ;)

My pick and recommendation is the Kapara. I really like mine!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram