Collectors club for the rest of us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Collectors club for the rest of us?

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if Spyderco would consider a different kind of collectors club for the rest of us that don’t want to buy every night nor can afford to do so? This would be a big help and give us collector status for those of us who actually do collect Spyderco knives .

I’ve known of collectors that got labeled as extremist and as some sort of crazy people because they didn’t belong to an official collector organization. They were labeled by overzealous DAs and police officers trying to make a name. But have having membership in an actual organization goes to show them that we are really collectors.

Me for example, I collect typically the smaller pocket knives. Not everyone but representations of each type. I don’t collect every Spyderco knife because I want to stay married. Ha ha Ha ha ha ! But it would certainly help me as a veteran and an ex pat living overseas to show that I am indeed a collector and not some nutcase.

I would pay yearly dues as long as it was not too much because of the exchange rate. We could also have a newsletter or other such things That got emailed out.

What say you all!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Trp2080

Re: Collectors club for the rest of us?

Post by Trp2080 »

It would be cool if you could just sign up for a certain model
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Well I don't know all the details, but from what I understand there are something like at least two "levels" of participation (perhaps more but idk): everything, and "variants only" (in which case a "V" shows up next to your number on the blade.

Also, and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember instances whereby members of the club arranged the terms of their membership such that they could offer the dealer (in these cases usually a mom-and-pop type) the option to keep given knives that the member doesn't want, and sell those knives themselves. I don't know how common this is, or if it is even still done, but it sounds like a nice arrangement for collectors who have a good, solid relationship with a dealer.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

And this does not work for most of us.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Do you mean like a collectors club that doesn't involve mandatory/automatic purchases? More like an NRA life membership where you're officially part of an organized enthusiasts or collectors group but there are no sales involved?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I always hoped that Spyderco offered a tier that would allow members to pay a yearly fee, and be given the opportunity to buy a knife available to members only. Then, if there are any left after several months, offer them to the general public through the Spyderco website, or whichever avenue works for them. Maybe club members could get a discount on one purchase directly from Spyderco per year. That way they wouldn't necessarily be competing with their dealers, but it would give incentive to join.

Far be it for me to tell Spyderco how to run their club, this is just more of a "I wish it could have been".
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
acer

Post by acer »

Good idea .
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 am
Do you mean like a collectors club that doesn't involve mandatory/automatic purchases? More like an NRA life membership where you're officially part of an organized enthusiasts or collectors group but there are no sales involved?
Yes. We just buy what we want, when we want. But we have membership dues to pay instead.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am
I always hoped that Spyderco offered a tier that would allow members to pay a yearly fee, and be given the opportunity to buy a knife available to members only. Then, if there are any left after several months, offer them to the general public through the Spyderco website, or whichever avenue works for them. Maybe club members could get a discount on one purchase directly from Spyderco per year. That way they wouldn't necessarily be competing with their dealers, but it would give incentive to join.

Far be it for me to tell Spyderco how to run their club, this is just more of a "I wish it could have been".
Yes, some of the perks for being dues paying members.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Sounds similar to a Glock Shooting Sports Foundation membership, but for Spydercos. It would probably take quite a bit of effort for them to set up, but it's not a bad idea.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I definitely like the idea.
- Julia

Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Where do I pay what I get? :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would join the club if it guaranteed me the ability to purchase a desired model when it came around.

Definitely! I would prefer the option of no serial numbers though. I just don't care for anything beyond maker's marks(some of those push it).
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Trying to make sure I follow your reasons here....is this to justify buying and owning knives to those who don't get it (aka, police/politicians)? If this is part of it, I'm not sure it will matter because those types will still make you out to be a fanatic. You might get further just by having your lawyer point out your participation in a forum/community like this, where the tone of discussion is almost always civil and welcoming and almost never talks about violence.

But all that aside, my biggest issue with collectors clubs (Spyderco's anyway) is that I don't want a collector number on the blade. As much as I like the Bug logo I'd even be ok if that went away or was Incorporated into the tang logo somewhere. I like clean/sterile blades.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

No numbers. This is not the other club. Just a simple club for the rest of us.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Club Earth haha
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Why would Spyderco devote scarce resources to administering a club whose members explicitly want to avoid the commitment to buying knives in quantities that would make it worth the company’s while?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

So in summary everyone just wants to buy or be guaranteed a chance to buy dealer exclusives. Without having to buy all the other production knives.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I read it as being more of a way to certify someone as a Spyderco collector. They'd still buy their knives through their usual channels.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

allhatnocattle wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 pm
So in summary everyone just wants to buy or be guaranteed a chance to buy dealer exclusives. Without having to buy all the other production knives.
No, I don't think that's what the OP was saying at all. Doc's idea had nothing to do with purchasing at all, in fact the opposite. The idea is just to have an official club for people that collect spydercos but don't want to be part of the purchaser's club (or can't afford to be). Like joining the NRA, for example, doesn't mean you get first crack at any gun you want. It just means you're a gun enthusiast, and you pay dues to the organization to get their magazines, newsletters, attend their events, etc. I think he just wants something more official to designate him as a collector.
- Julia