I started physical therapy

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Re: I started physical therapy

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:59 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:40 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm
That’s the hope. The doc says I may never have full range of motion, but I am hopeful that I will.
Doing all the PT (and more) is the key. My husband had surgery for really advanced tendonitis in his elbow last year and docs told him not to expect full recovery. But he went nuts doing all the PT exercises and stretches and is now almost back to normal. Even his doc was surprised at his recovery. You can do it!
Thanks! My physiotherapist was surprised yesterday at how much I had improved. I am encouraged.
Sounds like you're doing it right, then! Don't be discouraged by small setbacks, as they happen, too. Best of luck to you!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Been through a fair bit of physio myself. It helped me avoid knee surgery and determined that I required shoulder surgery. Also after a serious hand injury, I went through multiple surgeries and years of physio. I don’t go anymore but have to do my own physio at least three times a day or I can barely move it. It’s been getting worse so I might be looking into more surgery in the not too distant future. Also my other shoulder has been acting up so I’ve got to get it looked at too. So I’m guessing I’ll be looking at a bunch more physio.
I’ll tell you the physiotherapists that beat you up are actually doing you a favour in the long run. I had a pretty physiotherapist to begin with but she wasn’t strong enough as things progressed so they had to switch me to some guy.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Things are going along ok. I am having to take a low dose of pain med because about 45 min. to an hour after I do the exercises I really get to hurting. But I am noticeably stronger and getting more range of motion.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I went to the doctor today for my follow up. This physio has really paid off. The doctor asked me to raise my arm and see what my range of motion was. He got a shot when I was able to raise my arms a lot farther than what I thought I should be able to do. So the physio was working.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good stuff, Doc.

It’s remarkable how many people DON’T pay attention to their physicians, and then wonder why things don’t progress how they’d like them to.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m healing faster than expected. But, my arm is rotated slightly out of position. So, I’m doin new exercises to fix that, but they may be setting off migraines.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc, you are old but you are tough. Last year I was in a wheelchair but now, in Great part thanks to my physical therapist I can walk slowly and carefully around the house. It gets better. Hang in!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:03 am
Doc, you are old but you are tough. Last year I was in a wheelchair but now, in Great part thanks to my physical therapist I can walk slowly and carefully around the house. It gets better. Hang in!
What are you doing in a wheelchair! I missed something or was so drugged I don’t remember.

Yeah, my doc and therapist both commented on my being tough. It’s really conditioning. I played sports back when they taught you to ignore pain (unlike today when they take you out for a grass burn) and in the army when they taught us to endure pain. That might not always be good, though. My therapist has to keep an eye on me and make a point to ask if I have pain, or notice when I’m guarding, cos I don’t always notice it myself. Push, push, push, is the way I was taught.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

We grew up under the same philosophy. I think it provided us with a realistic notion of pain and what’s possible. Not always the best for us, but even so. Wheelchair. After my cancer got advanced it inhibited the nerves in my left leg, quad wouldn’t fire, fell down a lot, couldn’t walk. With months of cancer treatments and PT I can now limp about.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Man, that’s rough. Glad the PT has helped. What’s the prognosis?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Restarting PT in a couple of weeks. The after effects of chemo kept me in an almost constant state of fatigue. That is over now. Prognosis, incurable but manageable for a time. Median in my case is about two years.

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:14 pm
Restarting PT in a couple of weeks. The after effects of chemo kept me in an almost constant state of fatigue. That is over now. Prognosis, incurable but manageable for a time. Median in my case is about two years.
I will make certain to pray for you. Facing an uncertain future is easier if there is a Rock to stand on.

I do a lot if sitting around in pajamas or light shorts and t shirt. The knife I have found most suitable is a Dragonfly lightweight. It does most chores and I don’t know it’s there unless I need it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am
MichaelScott wrote:
I will make certain to pray for you. Facing an uncertain future is easier if there is a Rock to stand on.

I do a lot if sitting around in pajamas or light shorts and t shirt. The knife I have found most suitable is a Dragonfly lightweight. It does most chores and I don’t know it’s there unless I need it.
Thank you, Doc. I certainly need the support and I very much appreciate it. I’ve been writing about this and other things in my acehotel.blog site. Strangely, in many significant ways, having an incurable condition is a blessing and can wonderfully focus the mind.

I too love the Dragonfly. But I love the Rhino a bit more.

You take care.

Michael

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
I lack the wisdom to say anything to that, except to acknowledge your fight, your courage, and offer my support.

You will surely know Dylan Thomas’s Rage Against The Dying of the Light....

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:49 am
MichaelScott wrote:
I lack the wisdom to say anything to that, except to acknowledge your fight, your courage, and offer my support.

You will surely know Dylan Thomas’s Rage Against The Dying of the Light....

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Thank you. Poets sometimes see things we don’t. Here is one by me:

life is a book

on it’s leaves are written

dreams

desires

fears

joys

tears

failures

successes

too soon

all will become

whispers in the wind

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Re: major milestone

Post by Doc Dan »

I hit another major milestone. Tonight I was able to put my socks on by myself.

This is something we take for granted. At first I was unable to put on my pants and shirt. After a bit I got my shirt on, a t shirt because broken hands and buttons don’t mix. Then, after a while I got my pants on by myself and a short time later my belt. Socks kept defeating me because I lacked the range of motion and it was painful too. I got them on today. I am very happy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Man, I know what you mean! Congratulations. I restart PT next week.

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:38 am
Man, I know what you mean! Congratulations. I restart PT next week.
My therapist uses dynamic neuromuscular stabilization. It’s not generally painful, but gentle. I thought it was quack until I experienced the amazing results. My first session she fixed another problem regular physio said I would never get better years ago.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Keep going with the PT it helps. Recently went thru 14 sessions dealing with back issues. Had sciatica so bad for a couple months, I couldn't sit, stand, or lie down without being in pain. The pt helped the sciatica however the back issues still exist. Just deal with it on a day to day basis, trying to avoid surgery. Having health issues makes you realize how important good health is. Hoping you have full recovery. Will be praying for you.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tdog wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:23 pm
Keep going with the PT it helps. Recently went thru 14 sessions dealing with back issues. Had sciatica so bad for a couple months, I couldn't sit, stand, or lie down without being in pain. The pt helped the sciatica however the back issues still exist. Just deal with it on a day to day basis, trying to avoid surgery. Having health issues makes you realize how important good health is. Hoping you have full recovery. Will be praying for you.
Thanks. I need the prayers. That’s what has gotten me this far along in recovery.

Try the DNS.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050