recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Re: recommend a spyderco to a knife enthusiast

Post by Monty »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:09 pm
What is the knife meant to do?
Good question. I'm just thinking what would be a great gift that exemplifies the Spyderco brand for someone who owns a lot of knives, appreciates knife design, but owns no Spyderco's.

It doesn't necessarily need to be the perfect EDC, and I'm personally trending away from flippers as the spydiehole is what makes this brand stand out to me.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:52 pm
I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
My Police 4 does have a slightly "unfinished" character to the blade, but it's a slicer like no other! Not to mention a classic design!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:16 pm
The Mighty Military would be my pick. :)
Yes indeed.

Or even the Shaman -- unique in the Spyderco lineup with stout blade steel and contoured scales.
If the CF/S90V sprint is still available, that is some knife.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The paramilitary 2 would be my first choice. Police (especially the k390 model) is also good.
The shaman is good too.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I love a lot of Spyderco models but currently I'd have to say Kapara or Native 5 Fluted CF. I know they've already been suggested but they're worth mentioning again.

Paramilitary 2 is always a great choice too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Monty wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:28 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:09 pm
What is the knife meant to do?
Good question. I'm just thinking what would be a great gift that exemplifies the Spyderco brand for someone who owns a lot of knives, appreciates knife design, but owns no Spyderco's.

It doesn't necessarily need to be the perfect EDC, and I'm personally trending away from flippers as the spydiehole is what makes this brand stand out to me.
Well then, it would have to be a Glesser design, not a collaboration with an outsider.

What to recommend?

The Military, Stretch, Chaparral, Caribbean, and Shaman are my favorite “Sals” (in order of model #), followed by the Police, Calypso, Pacific Salt, Sage, and Urban (again in order of model#). I’d recommend any of them without hesitation. Same with the PM2 and Chief that Sal and Eric designed together. And I’d also recommend the Manix, Manix2, and Lil’ Native. They are “Erics” I have and really really love.

EDIT: I notice that representatives of the latest Glesser-thinking among my faves are in the Native family, namely the Shaman (Sal), the Chief (Sal and Eric), and the Lil’ Native (Eric). Hmmm.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm
I love a lot of Spyderco models but currently I'd have to say Kapara or Native 5 Fluted CF. I know they've already been suggested but they're worth mentioning again.

Paramilitary 2 is always a great choice too
Kapara was even better than I expected and that seems to rarely happen
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
I would get the Kapara I think it's probably the best thing they're making at the moment under $200, police I've heard has a pretty rough finish from factory
My Police 4 does have a slightly "unfinished" character to the blade, but it's a slicer like no other! Not to mention a classic design!
I was in no way trying to say it's any less awesome. I really really want one but just haven't been able to pull the trigger with so many other blades happening at the same time. Maybe I'll trade for one some day
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

If you want it uniquely Spyderco, wouldn't it need to include the compression lock, wire clip, and something like pp cf/g10 scales?

Sage 5.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Based on the models you listed, he seems to be into US made knives.

If you can find it, the Ti/CF framelock (R.I.L.) Military would be a great knife to complement his collection.
Peter
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Go with something you can EDC.

Spyderco knives really aren't pocket jewelry, so if you're not using it regularly, you're far less likely to appreciate it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Baby Horn before they are gone ;)

Also, you can't go wrong with a Caribbean!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Shaman. It has the comp lock, it's part of the iconic Native family, and it has a thicker blade (at least by Spyderco standards) that a ZT and Benchmade user would appreciate. The Paramilitary 2 has never felt right in my hand, but I love the more neutral handle shape of the Shaman.

Or, get a Native 5 Lightweight Salt. The Native family isn't as well known as the Delica / Endura family, but it's still iconic it's own right. The Native Salt gets you into a really well known, US made Spyderco, knife series, and combines it with their unique near-rust-proof Salt series.

Last, get a Chaparral Lightweight. It mixes Spyderco's willingness to manufacture is Asia, the lightweight plastic handle back locks they're known for, and Spyderco's focus on thin, acutely ground blades that put an emphasis on slicing with no intention of being used as a prying tool. CTS XHP run that thin is also amazing. The Chaparral hasn't yet gained Delica level icon status, but it may be the quintessential Spyderco.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Para 3. For any sprint or production model. Perfect size blade for all.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:54 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:50 pm
Delica. There is a G10 version out there. I changed from all the ones the OP mention to Spyderco because of the humble Delica.
Great suggestion! It slipped my mind that you can still get the Fradon Lock (Safe and Lock Store) Carbon Fiber Delica with Hap40. (Not the humblest of Delicas, but a very fine knife worthy of any collection).
koenigsegg wrote:
I've heard there were some issues, mine was great other than needing a drop of oil and proper sharpening.
There is the Bento Box Delica, also, and the DLT Trading Manix with 20CV and red G10.
I haven’t gotten started on the Endura.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I allways recommend the most iconic Spyderco; the old school SS SE Police :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

I was in no way trying to say it's any less awesome. I really really want one but just haven't been able to pull the trigger with so many other blades happening at the same time. Maybe I'll trade for one some day
Oh you're good man, I didn't think you were coming down too hard. You should get one though, the LW model *might* replace the G-10 at some point!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endura in his favorite color,for a folder.
Jumpmaster for a fixed blade.Or a custom Mule,if you realy like the guy.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

If the person receiving it likes larger folders, and doesn’t live in an area where they are restricted from carrying them, the Native Chief would be a great choice. Mine hasn’t left my pocket since I got it. The Shaman is another good option. On the shorter blade, and less expensive, side, the Para 3 Lightweight is a great EDC, and exemplifies many/most of the things that make Spydercos unique.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Dragonfly 2 salt hawkbill serrated.....it won't break the bank plus its something a lil different.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Catamount123 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:37 am
On the shorter blade, and less expensive, side, the Para 3 Lightweight is a great EDC, and exemplifies many/most of the things that make Spydercos unique.
I gave my bother a para3 lw for his first spyderco, and he's loving it. But he's more of a utilitarian when it comes to pocket knives, definitely not an "enthusiast" that might want something a little fancier. Still, it's a good intro-to-spydie choice, for sure.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.