Z-Cut packaging

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bruce Mack

Z-Cut packaging

Post by Bruce Mack »

I just got my 2 knives from REC, one plain, the other serrated. The packaging was spare and ecologically sound, each knife enclosed in plastic on a small cardboard card. The plastic is tough, deflecting the blade of my Chaparral like a phaser shield on the Enterprise. I had to trim around the plastic and then find a plane of dissection to lift one segment and remove the knife. This is not a complaint, just tribute to Spyderco for often exceeding expectations. I do like the knives, too.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Z-Cut packaging

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's cool, apparently that was the last thing we were waiting on for these knives, and I'm pumped that they'll be available to give as gifts for the holidays!

Do you prefer the plain over serrated, or vice versa... Or no preference? (I bet that plain is SHARP lol)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am glad to hear they are finally out.

Edit: I just check all of my usual places and none have them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bruce Mack wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:17 pm
......The plastic is tough, deflecting the blade of my Chaparral like a phaser shield on the Enterprise.....

" ...deflecting the blade of a CHAPARRAL"..??!!
Must be THREE phaser shields on top of each other... :p :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

I haven’t used them enough to say much. The blade stock is very thin, promising good slicing. The plain edge is sharp, but I’ll hit it with the Sharpmaker for maximum sharpness before comparing it with the serrated.
Because of its light weight the z-cut feels insubstantial in hand. No concerns about its integrity but just comparing, unfairly, to my folders. It will be good to read a review by someone who cooks and can comment on feel and utility.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I got my shipping notice today. Glad they're finally coming out.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:03 am
I got my shipping notice today. Glad they're finally coming out.

Mine are on their way as well.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Good to hear the packaging is thick. On one of my other spyderco kitchen knives, the knife tried to hack its way out of the box during shipment. The little plastic tip protector had come loose. Good for spyderco giving even the packaging some cqi!
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

My wife has used the Z-Cut knives for chopping vegetables. Because of the handle and blade configuration she says she doesn’t cut herself anymore. That’s big.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Got mine. They each came wrapped in a towel. They're very flexible.
2 serrated patterns

The packaging is definitely something different. I found the easiest way to open it was from the back. Where the knife handle goes in I just used my thumb to pry it apart. It's not the typical sealed plastic. It snaps together around the knife and the card holds it together
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Interesting, I didn't know that the pointed tip and blunt tip have different serrations. The pointed tip looks typical spydie edge with small and large serrations, but the blunt seems uniform with an medium size all across. Has there been a reason given, or are they just trying different patterns?
sal

Post by sal »

Testing the market preferences.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 pm

sal
I heard through the grape vine that the distributor (TX?/) has not been contacting the major retailers about new Spydercos and that is why they don’t have new releases like this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

i opened mine carefully and found i can use the clamshell as a sheath for storage.

Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 pm

sal
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Some folks probably think the spyderedge looks too scary. I'm guessing functionally it works better or the less aggressive looking pattern would've been the only option? It's cool to get insight on how these decisions get made.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I've been looking forward to these! We've got two in the mail, should be here Monday. I can't wait to put them through their paces as we eat a salad most days. Thanks to Spyderco in continuing innovation! and with the great price I can continue to save for the next drop of the Spydiechef!

Grizz
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I get the feeling that the uniform serrations will work better for bread while the serrations we usually see on spydercos will be fantastic on things like tomatoes and such