Factory edge poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are factory edge grind lines visible on the Spyderco(s) in your pocket?

Yes, factory grind lines are visible on the edge bevel.
33%
No, they are completely sharpened away.
36%
I have multiples on me, some have them, some don't.
26%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 85

blueblur

Re: Factory edge poll

Post by blueblur »

I’ve been into the tougher steels the last year or so, 52100, cruwear, vtoku2 and 4v. The factory bevel didn’t last long on these knives and they are all between 12-15 dps.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:41 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:22 am
That Lum tip gives me flashbacks. Many an hour grinding away at new knives to get a perfect bevel. When I think of all the wasted steel :(
Over grind at the heel doesn’t faze me too much at all Tim, Tips are another story altogether. The very tip is slightly over ground and slightly rounded which bugs me but it’s only another knife mate, ay? Ah, hahaha! :)
I dunno mate, serious business this knife game!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:49 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:16 pm
I thought it was funny people were posting factory edged knives to the show your users thread. Seems I triggered a few folks by pointing that out.
I'll never understand why a couple of you guys act like those who don't use their knives as you do are inferior. Must be an ego thing I guess
I made a simple comment in a thread specifically for showing well worn knives that I'm surprised how many of those well worn knives still have a factory edge. Wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was just an observation.

Seems like pointing that out really struck a nerve. I don't see why it's a big deal.

If I make a thread for posting orange handled knives and someone posts a digital camo Para 2, I'm gonna wonder what they're doing too.
We're suddenly on the chopping block around here as of last night...a bit frustrating to wake up to and read. Heck, I know most of the pics I posted in that thread showed users that I haven't reprofiled, but knives I've used often that are scratched up and been sharpened/touched up many times...didn't make feel attacked or anything, or that I'm an inferior knife user.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I usually use the factory edge for about 6 months then sharpen it, Ikuchi came with a great edge from factory.. maybe the best I've seen. I definitely have some that came dull as can be, or I've used a lot, those are sharpened
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Generally, if the factory bevel is reasonably even and the edge will readily cut newsprint I'll use it as is for a trial period. Then I'll resharpen as needed, and eventually reprofile after repeated sharpening.

Rare are my spyderedge blades which have *all* the factory serration grind lines cleared. I have done that with some, partly for experimentation, by using round (not tapered) diamond files and stones of appropriate diameter in each serration. Fun with chipped 440V serrations. ;-) A labor intensive technique which I rarely need to use.

The roughest OOB grind lines I've encountered were on some GIN-1 UKPKs, easily cleaned up before carry. (I was surprised how rough they were, but no problema, and of course I didn't grumble. Sharpen and move on.)

My main criterion is simply, will they cut well for my needs, and stay that way with time-efficient sharpening.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein, your picture didn't show up for me.

How long it takes to remove the lines depends primarily on the angle you use and which grit.

If you sharpen a 15dps knife at 20dps, you'll have grind lines for years. If you sharpen it at 10dps, they'll be gone after the first time you set your bevel. If you match the bevel and touch up on the fine sharp maker rods, it will take a dozen sharpenings before they're gone. If you match the bevel with the diamond rods, they can be removed in a single sharpening session.
nicked.onaut wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 am
Generally, if the factory bevel is reasonably even and the edge will readily cut newsprint I'll use it as is for a trial period. Then I'll resharpen as needed, and eventually reprofile after repeated sharpening.

Rare are my spyderedge blades which have *all* the factory serration grind lines cleared. I have done that with some, partly for experimentation, by using round (not tapered) diamond files and stones of appropriate diameter in each serration. Fun with chipped 440V serrations. ;-) A labor intensive technique which I rarely need to use.

The roughest OOB grind lines I've encountered were on some GIN-1 UKPKs, easily cleaned up before carry. (I was surprised how rough they were, but no problema, and of course I didn't grumble. Sharpen and move on.)

My main criterion is simply, will they cut well for my needs, and stay that way with time-efficient sharpening.
The grind lines seem to take a lot longer to sharpen off on SE. That black SE Pacific Salt user I posted had faintly visible lines after 1.5 years of sharpening at 15 degrees with the brown rods. Wasn't until I took it to my diamond rods that they were 100% gone.
:unicorn
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Voted No. It's been a couple years since I purchased a knife.

Everything I have been carrying is well used and sharpened. I thinned most of the edges in the past, but I have been lazy and really only maintain with the sharpmaker anymore.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

No factory grind lines visible on the AEB-L Urban and Cruwear PM2 in my pockets.

Actually you can see a tiny remnant just at the plungeline on the PM2, but that'll sharpen out soon enough.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stropping does not remove the lines very fast, normally, and neither does matching the factory edge. It is often difficult to tell if a knife has a factory edge or not based on a photo, unless the photo is a closeup of the edge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
attila

Post by attila »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:51 pm
Cruwear Millie and AEB-L urban in my pockets. The Millie is used and the edge was taken tighter than 15dps. I’ve only stropped it. I reprofiled the Urban to 15dps. It needed it.

I do still have factory grind lines on several knives. But those in frequent rotation have all been reprofiled to 15dps.
Hi,

If you have the ability to measure it, I was wondering what the thickness behind the edge is of your Cruwear Military. I purchased a slightly used one with an intact factory edge and was surprised to find a very large bevel. I measured it at 0.027" average BTE. I prefer about half that and was curious if your example is also about that thick BTE.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

attila wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Cruwear Millie and AEB-L urban in my pockets. The Millie is used and the edge was taken tighter than 15dps. I’ve only stropped it. I reprofiled the Urban to 15dps. It needed it.

I do still have factory grind lines on several knives. But those in frequent rotation have all been reprofiled to 15dps.
Hi,

If you have the ability to measure it, I was wondering what the thickness behind the edge is of your Cruwear Military. I purchased a slightly used one with an intact factory edge and was surprised to find a very large bevel. I measured it at 0.027" average BTE. I prefer about half that and was curious if your example is also about that thick BTE.

Thanks!
I’m using a dial caliper and several measurements are around 0.026” to 0.029”. The wide bevel is why I assumed it had been sharpened at a lower angle. I guess I’ll find out for sure when it needs more than just a touch up.
attila

Post by attila »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:56 pm
attila wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:57 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!
I’m using a dial caliper and several measurements are around 0.026” to 0.029”. The wide bevel is why I assumed it had been sharpened at a lower angle. I guess I’ll find out for sure when it needs more than just a touch up.
Thanks for the data point.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5